Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 177 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
Some people on this site need to add the words "Thin Skinned" to thier signature.
I don't have a problem with Harley riders. Sure about 1/4 of them don't wave at me. It does not bother me the least bit. I treat people like I want to be treated and have no problems sleeping at night.
I am guilty of forgetting that our famous "Southern Hospitality" is void from many states. I won't say which.
Y'all ride safe.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
And I could say the thin skinned label could certainly be used here as well.

Seems a couple times a month someone on here is crying because some HD rider snubbed them, or didn't wave to em, or said something that hurt thier precious feelings.

Just an observation.:shades:

·
Registered
19,530 Posts
Hey. I'm crying because some snobbish Cannondale rider snubbed me at the starting line at my last bike race. Something about my 'wannabe' Novara and my knock-off cycling spandex. I'm so hurt, I think I'll whine about it and call all Cannondale riders bad names!

·
Administrator
29,600 Posts
Wow, let's address all this at once.

NVT... please qualify "Hardcore Harley Dude" Half of my biker upbringing was conducted by guys who rode Harleys and they were hardcore Harley Dudes. One of them once grabbed me by my jacket collar and picked me up with one hand and said "that Beezer is OK, but don't you ever buy no Jap bike..."

And for a long time, I listened...:biglaugh:.

My BIL and his only friends were Club Riders and very rustic and wouldn't have been afraid to tell anyone how they felt.

A Harley Rider and I from this site pulled up to a bar a couple of years ago after riding from Gettysburg, and an old Biker yelled down "Hey, you know them Germans don't know how to make ****"

And I wouldn't have had it any other way, as a matter of fact I feel uncomfortable around guys if they don't cause trouble. It's just not a biker place if there's not a smart-*** in the group.

To me, a hardcore Harley guy is a guy that will chain whip someone for making light of the Frazetta Mural on his panhead chop.

Everyone else is just a Harley Davidson owner....:biglaugh:.

I've ridden halfway across the country to have lunch or breakfast with some of these Harley Davidson owners. And Yes, many of them get trapped up in the nonsense provided by Harley's marketing material. And I give them a lot of guff for it.

But, if you think you're going to pull up to any dealership and not catch some flak for riding a different bike, well, you need to go back to biker school. The fall open house and free BBQ is at my BMW dealer this weekend, and of course anyone can come. But the kool-aid will be dealt out in doses, biker humor will prevail.

I have some bad news for ya, bikers make fun of each others' bikes, its what we do...

The next time, just give them the finger, that's what I do. Lighten up, frances.

And the same goes for the rest of you n'er do wells. Lighten up Frances, you know who you are.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Just plain fun to read this stuff, like a soap opera (not sayin' I watch soap operas.):biglaugh:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Hey. I'm crying because some snobbish Cannondale rider snubbed me at the starting line at my last bike race. Something about my 'wannabe' Novara and my knock-off cycling spandex. I'm so hurt, I think I'll whine about it and call all Cannondale riders bad names!
im assuming your a steelers fan....thats why im going to let you live! :wayhappy:

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
When I bought my Harley last April, I had no bike to trade in since my beloved 2007 Nomad was by that time sitting in a salvage yard. Of course the salesmen asked what had I been riding and when I told them, not a single one of them had anything bad to say about the Nomad. No snide comments, no ignorant remarks.

Over the years, many of the nicest compliments I received about my Nomad were from Harley owners. Not all HD owners are jerks; conversely, not all metric owners are nice guys.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Just gets me pissed cuz this isnt the first time. There have been plenty of instances where people have said "nice bike, but it ain't no Harley" or "ya know, if you want something to last and hold better value you should buy a Harley instead".

Anyone else run into these invalids along your travels??
Having lived up in the northeast (Long Island) since I was born .. until moving here not to long ago. I can see it happening up there more then here? I think people are a lot more uptight, at times, up there, NOT all people but maybe more then here when it comes to bikes. Though I never owned a bike up there.
Down here in SC, I REALLY do not run into any issues with Harley people, in fact, to such an extreme that I wonder if it's in our heads more then reality. I have got more compliments on my first bike (C-50) and the current bike (VStar 1300) equally from Harley people and non Harley people. My latest just yesterday, took a 120 miles ride to a nearby lake, ran into a REAL die hard Harley looking dude. First comment out of his mouth was "nice bike man". He was riding a REALLY nice well done Sportster, used to have a Glide. I do think MAYBE it's different down here, seems to be more of a mix of bikes when you see groups riding, dont get me wrong there are MANY die hard got to own a Harley people who think you should own a Harley but there seems to be a respect for whatever you ride, never heard a negative comment. Personally for me its about the ride and who you are, I certainly respect the Harley name, have nothing at all against them or any other bike. Some of the latest Harleys have some really good write ups by Motorcycle Cruiser Magazine. Just does not fit my budget but if it did maybe I would experience one, one day. Who knows? I kind of like the Glide, I think, past couple issues of MC Magazine had some nice write ups. Maybe its my attitude? I think when new to motorcycles the whole Harley issue was on my mind a lot, until I actually started to ride and ran across and got into conversations with Harley and non Harley bikers. I found out, my thoughts were unfounded, here anyway.

Ha, Just ran across this from Hi-Vis ... I think this is true too for SC. "I am guilty of forgetting that our famous "Southern Hospitality" is void from many states. I won't say which"

·
Registered
19,530 Posts
im assuming your a steelers fan....thats why im going to let you live! :wayhappy:
I hate the Squeelers..... Loathe them actually..... Born and bred a Browns fan... :wayhappy:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Wow, let's address all this at once.

NVT... please qualify "Hardcore Harley Dude" Half of my biker upbringing was conducted by guys who rode Harleys and they were hardcore Harley Dudes. One of them once grabbed me by my jacket collar and picked me up with one hand and said "that Beezer is OK, but don't you ever buy no Jap bike..."

And for a long time, I listened...:biglaugh:.

My BIL and his only friends were Club Riders and very rustic and wouldn't have been afraid to tell anyone how they felt.

A Harley Rider and I from this site pulled up to a bar a couple of years ago after riding from Gettysburg, and an old Biker yelled down "Hey, you know them Germans don't know how to make ****"

And I wouldn't have had it any other way, as a matter of fact I feel uncomfortable around guys if they don't cause trouble. It's just not a biker place if there's not a smart-*** in the group.

To me, a hardcore Harley guy is a guy that will chain whip someone for making light of the Frazetta Mural on his panhead chop.

Everyone else is just a Harley Davidson owner....:biglaugh:.

I've ridden halfway across the country to have lunch or breakfast with some of these Harley Davidson owners. And Yes, many of them get trapped up in the nonsense provided by Harley's marketing material. And I give them a lot of guff for it.

But, if you think you're going to pull up to any dealership and not catch some flak for riding a different bike, well, you need to go back to biker school. The fall open house and free BBQ is at my BMW dealer this weekend, and of course anyone can come. But the kool-aid will be dealt out in doses, biker humor will prevail.

I have some bad news for ya, bikers make fun of each others' bikes, its what we do...

The next time, just give them the finger, that's what I do. Lighten up, frances.

And the same goes for the rest of you n'er do wells. Lighten up Frances, you know who you are.
Lets understand this, I have no problem with someone busting my balls. But if im by myself, minding my own business, and I don't know you....their is no reason to make an ignorant comment and say it like your the UFC heavyweight champ. Can we agree on that?

by all means let their be a wise guy in every biker group....i bet if that same person was by themselves, they would keep their mouth shut.

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrapiron
I hate the Squeelers..... Loathe them actually..... Born and bred a Browns fan...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! I feel like im in the twilight zone!
Born & Bred a Browns fan... That's worse than being a Harley owner!!!:biglaugh:

NOTICE The SMILEY FACE>>:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

·
Registered
785 Posts
So I was taking a cruise today and decided to stop by my local Harley dealer to check out what they had sitting on the floor. No intent to buy, just going to look for the **** of it....

...As I get off my bike and start walking towards the building I notice two guys haging out in front of the store smoking cigarettes and shooting the shlt. They were both riding Harley Electric Glide's. They also had their neon green banners on the windshield showing their rank in their riding group. As I approach them, the one guy goes, "hey, you come to trade that thing in???" I felt like telling him to FACK OFF and shove his Harley up his fat ***!!! No disrespect to anyone who rides a harley here, unless you are one of those who puts Harleys on the almighty golden pedestal above every other bike.

Just gets me pissed cuz this isnt the first time. There have been plenty of instances where people have said "nice bike, but it ain't no Harley" or "ya know, if you want something to last and hold better value you should buy a Harley instead".

I understand where you are coming from, I was at my local Harley dealer trying to find some ISO grips and the parts guy comes up and asks what I ride. I tell him C50 and without another word he turns his back and walks away from me. I laughed, my wife laughed and we left since we couldn't find them. Like another poster said, we were on enemy turf so it was whatever. There are dicks on all brands, to each their own.

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
Honda GOLD WINGS are the BEST!! and if you don't ride one, you $uck!!!

:biglaugh: I thought I'd put a different slant on this thread.

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
I just ordered parts at the HD dealer. Reflectors for my C50 !
But I'm making my Hubby pick them up :)

·
Administrator
29,600 Posts
Lets understand this, I have no problem with someone busting my balls. But if im by myself, minding my own business, and I don't know you....their is no reason to make an ignorant comment and say it like your the UFC heavyweight champ. Can we agree on that?

by all means let their be a wise guy in every biker group....i bet if that same person was by themselves, they would keep their mouth shut.
You're a biker now, either make a snappy comment back, give them the finger or walk over and stomp the bejeezus out of him, no matter how many friends he's with. I think the most appropriate thing is to have a snappy comeback,

"No, I'm here to get oil for my Harley, mine ran out."
"Oh, is that a Harley, I couldn't see it for all the fat sitting by it"
"Oh, I know you have a Harley, because you're sitting in a parking lot of a dealer and not riding"
"I see your bike is here at the dealer, did your trailer break."

You get the point. But sulking isn't an option.

And don't be afraid of suburbanite cell phone salesmen sitting around Harley Dealers, real bikers steal parts and accessories, if they're at a dealer, they're nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
So I was taking a cruise today and decided to stop by my local Harley dealer to check out what they had sitting on the floor. No intent to buy, just going to look for the **** of it....

...As I get off my bike and start walking towards the building I notice two guys haging out in front of the store smoking cigarettes and shooting the shlt. They were both riding Harley Electric Glide's. They also had their neon green banners on the windshield showing their rank in their riding group. As I approach them, the one guy goes, "hey, you come to trade that thing in???" I felt like telling him to FACK OFF and shove his Harley up his fat ***!!! No disrespect to anyone who rides a harley here, unless you are one of those who puts Harleys on the almighty golden pedestal above every other bike.

You went to a dealer with a bike...of COURSE they asked if you were gonna trade. I have a 2011 model Ford Explorer. Had to take it to the dealer for work...drove up with it and the FIRST question I was asked was if I was gonna trade it in....

41 - 60 of 177 Posts