Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Skidlet and I made a 2-hour ride to Port Dover yesterday and we had no trouble finding it since the day before we purchased some Ram mounts to have the GPS mounted on my handlebar.

However, the power went out about halfway home.

I own a Garmin Nuvi 250W and when driving around in the car it's always plugged in to the power source and never fails.

Is there some sort of a cable that I can use to connect the GPS to the battery and if so what is the easiest way?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Install a power outlet on your bike, then you can plug it in just like you do in your car.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I installed a power outlet to the bike. I ran a line to the plug in the headlight bucket that is used for the optional light bar. That is a 10amp switch circuit. I ran the line into my windshield bag through a small hole I put into the bottom. So I plug my gps into the power outlet in the bag. For long trips I'll add a splitter to the outlet and I can put my cell phone in there to charge. Works good for me.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I got the cig lighter handlebar mount from J&P Cycles (Under $20)

I wired it into the accessory socket in the headlight bucket.

Looks like this:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was thinkin about putting the outlet in a wind bag too. Glad to hear it is workin for you now off I go to the garage

·
Registered
145 Posts
I went directly into the headlight, it only draws 4 amps so no power problems. thats way u dont need to instal a powerlet, and its not always hot unless key is on. works great.

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
Here is a pretty nice model from Custom Dynamics:

http://www.customdynamics.com/handlebar_electrical_power_point.htm

If you want to use it to run an air compressor (or other high wattage devices), you are well advised to wire it with a relay. For Cell Phone/GPS use only, you can connect to the options connector in the headlight bucket.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks for the info, i had no idea there was an auxillary in the headlight housing! See my 1st grade teacher was right " You do learn something new everyday if you're listening."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts