Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding in to work the other day which is an early morning trip for me. I was getting close to my exit for work and i got stuck behind one of those trucks hauling a rollback dumpster. I had to wait on traffic to my left to go around rhe truck. I caught a glimpse of something in the road under the truck just as i started to go left. As the truck passed over the object the suction pulled the object off the road surface and whizzed it past my helmet. It missed me by only a couple of feet. The object turned out to be a flattened Polecat. I was lucky not to get any juice on me, but i did get to enjoy the aroma for the remainder of my ride.

·
Registered
20,372 Posts
Just be happy it didn't hit you. If it whizzed past your head, that could have been a lot worse than just smelling it or having juice on you.

·
Registered
544 Posts
You are lucky! My colleague was riding behind a semi on his way back from work, and one of the semi's wheels catapulted a sizable ratchet strap handle into his bike. After he exited the highway, his Concurs 14 started sputtering and eventually stalled. Result: a sizable hole in the bottom of the engine block of his 2016 bike, all oil lost, bike towed to repair shop. Guy walked away from a 90 MPH impact with a two pound chunk of steel...

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
The DOT would have you believe that mud flaps prevent that kind of stuff.

The last time I heard, driving a semi tractor in kalifornia without mud flaps can get you charged with attempted negligent vehicular homicide.

A big 'ol greasy bug or butterfly on the face shield is bad enough, but a skunk?
Dammit.
You got lucky.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The DOT would have you believe that mud flaps prevent that kind of stuff.

The last time I heard, driving a semi tractor in kalifornia without mud flaps can get you charged with attempted negligent vehicular homicide.

A big 'ol greasy bug or butterfly on the face shield is bad enough, but a skunk?
Dammit.
You got lucky.

A skilled truck driver can grab a cone in a construction zone with their dual wheels, and hurl it at a tailgater---Or so I have been told by other skilled drivers:biglaugh:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Omg, that'd be gnarly!!!

One time I had a wasp fly under my visor gap, and stay in my helmet for a bit of a ride before I could pull over and whip my helmet off. Talk about scary.

Gotta watch out for nature, dead or alive, i guess, hahaha

·
Super Moderator
25,666 Posts
Omg, that'd be gnarly!!!

One time I had a wasp fly under my visor gap, and stay in my helmet for a bit of a ride before I could pull over and whip my helmet off. Talk about scary.

Gotta watch out for nature, dead or alive, i guess, hahaha
I once had some sort of biting fly go up my right pant leg. It started chewing its way up my leg. I reached over with my left hand and cut off his progress before he hit an area I didn't want him in. Somehow I managed to get to the side without dumping the bike, and immediately dropped trou to get it out.

I feel sorry for the poor people passing by that scene. :bigoops:

·
Registered
265 Posts
I was following one of those junk hauling trucks when a thin sheet of metal about 3' x 3' flew off and started spinning down the road at me, chest level, like a frisbee.

I don't remember if it missed me or if I missed it, but...Damn! :shock:

You can bet I've kept a careful watch for those haulers ever since. Most big rig drivers are professional and take care to strap down their loads, but the drivers of those scrap/crap haulers just toss the stuff in the back any old way.

Jerks.

·
Super Moderator
25,666 Posts
I was following one of those junk hauling trucks when a thin sheet of metal about 3' x 3' flew off and started spinning down the road at me, chest level, like a frisbee.

I don't remember if it missed me or if I missed it, but...Damn! :shock:

You can bet I've kept a careful watch for those haulers ever since. Most big rig drivers are professional and take care to strap down their loads, but the drivers of those scrap/crap haulers just toss the stuff in the back any old way.

Jerks.
That sounds like a scene from one of the Final Destination movies. :eek:

·
Registered
265 Posts
That sounds like a scene from one of the Final Destination movies. :eek:
My life didn't pass before my eyes, but I'll bet some words passed between my lips...
Something like "Oh Sh*t!"

I'm not ready for my final destination yet.

I have too many sins to atone for..:wink2:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts