Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Atlantas present emergency weather situation had occurred during Super Bowl weekend...and the game was being held in Atlanta...I mean...that seems to be the reason for all the hoopla about why this Game should always be held in a warm climate area...would never have to worry about having to deal with such problems ...bad enough this year to actually have to sit and watch them play in cold weather temps here in the north...what true NFL fan would actually want to subject themselves to that scenerio... but to be subjected to having to travel under such conditions...what could the NFL have been thinking.....just goes to show...on a any given day ...in any given area .... sh*t happens.

·
Administrator
52,296 Posts
Atlanta has winters nearly identical to the Great Lakes.

We flew out of Buffalo, NY to Atlanta, GA after Christmas in 2009, (early Jan 2010), and Atlanta was actually 3 degrees colder, with terrible wind chills.

FWIW, Buffalo was 19F and snowing heavily, while Atlanta was 16F, sunny, very windy, and icy.

The right side engine on Our plane (in ATL) was frozen, and the wings had about 10 inches of frozen accumulation on top.
After an hour+ delay, they thawed out the frozen engine, and We spent another 30 minutes under 2 de-icing rigs, before We finally got underway to Florida.

Nowadays, I book flights to Buffalo via Baltimore, (and return to Florida through Baltimore), since it's usually warmer there, due to the proximity to the Atlantic Ocean.

BTW: We used to have an old saying among the folks where I worked; "If You don't relocate from the North USA to South of Route #4 in Florida, then You've wasted Your move."
Why??? It occasionally snows north of route #4 in Florida.

·
Super Moderator
20,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good tidbits Psycho of info proving one can learn something useful everyday...even more surprising learning from one of my threads...of course not anything from my thoughts...thats a given... but just goes to prove we do have folk here posting things worthy of reading....

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Anything is possible, especially in the northern sector... I guess you have to consider that adverse conditions affect both teams, and the game goes on regardless of the fan turnout.

·
Super Moderator
25,152 Posts
We do hit lows similar to the Great Lakes area, but they usually only last a week or so at most. Our winter temps are a rollercoaster ride. The advantage to that is that you get breaks from the cold. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Great Lakes area gets cold and stays cold. Case in point, we got froze in with a storm on Tuesday, but we're looking to highs of 60 on Friday. :wayhappy:

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
421 Posts
Had to check the map, Psycho. That rule of thumb works for me when I say goodbye to indiana in the next few years!

·
Super Moderator
25,152 Posts
Check my recent post on here for that story, but the tldr is that it took me 26 hours and 23 minutes to get home from work. I left at 1:15 on Tuesday and walked in the house at 3:38 this afternoon. My car is still parked about 2 miles away from the house, but nothing broken or damage, and we'll thaw out tomorrow with a high of 60 on Friday! :biglaugh:

Thanks for the concern though. Just don't forget Kerf and others over in Birmingham, they basically mirrored us through this storm.

·
Administrator
52,296 Posts
Had to check the map, Psycho. That rule of thumb works for me when I say goodbye to indiana in the next few years!
And be sure any home/property that You consider for purchase, was "build permitted" after July 1, 2001.

New Builds permitted before that date, were not required to have the build codes for Hurricanes in cat 3, 4, or 5.

Those later walls are concrete block, reinforced with steel, and then filled, top to bottom with concrete, and the steel roof straps are footed deep into that concrete.
Roofing structures are reinforced trussed, then strapped down with those steel straps.
The entire wall structure is wrapped with steel beams, to maintain integrity, should a flood occur.

Windows and doors are constructed for increased wind resistance, and steel enclosures (for the windows & glass doors), which bolt directly to the outer walls, are the mandate.

The difference is, after Hurricane Charlie (2004) passed over My (then), brand new home, only 20 cap shingles were lost from one hip section of the roof, period.
I replaced those a few days later for around $15.

A few miles away, older wood structured homes and trailers, were totally obliterated, and some of the residents were never found.

Even earlier concrete block homes were seriously damaged, because they were not built to withstand hurricane force winds greater than 80 mph.

Now...where were we? Oh Yeah, Superbowl, Atlanta, weather, yadda. Superbowl Sunday should be played only inside of domed stadiums....in climates where snow is not a possibility. LOL!

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Check my recent post on here for that story, but the tldr is that it took me 26 hours and 23 minutes to get home from work. I left at 1:15 on Tuesday and walked in the house at 3:38 this afternoon. My car is still parked about 2 miles away from the house, but nothing broken or damage, and we'll thaw out tomorrow with a high of 60 on Friday! :biglaugh:

Thanks for the concern though. Just don't forget Kerf and others over in Birmingham, they basically mirrored us through this storm.

Unbelievable.. Big question is Why did school children go to school that day? My wife is a 1st grade teacher and she has had 2 winter weather days off in the last week. Error on the side of caution is a no brainer when dealing with children!!! Some heads need to roll due to miscommunications, errors of judgement, DOT for allowing big trucks in the perimeter of the city, etc, etc, etc. unbelievable!

·
Super Moderator
20,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
again...good info Psycho ... get into the wrong situation in the wrong structure could lead one to be tossed around like a rag doll landing on ones head resulting in mimicking Beezer....

don't know if thats such a bad thing tho...

will say the above pic does fit into the pre game tailgate party activity often displayed in many parking areas on any given sunday.

·
Registered
20,164 Posts
FWIW. I think every city should host.
Just remember a few years back when DALLAS hosted and got hit with an ice storm.
The NFL just plays the odds on the weather. I just dont think it is fair to give it to just warm cites or domed stadiums .

·
Super Moderator
25,152 Posts
Unbelievable.. Big question is Why did school children go to school that day? My wife is a 1st grade teacher and she has had 2 winter weather days off in the last week. Error on the side of caution is a no brainer when dealing with children!!! Some heads need to roll due to miscommunications, errors of judgement, DOT for allowing big trucks in the perimeter of the city, etc, etc, etc. unbelievable!
No one was expecting it to come through Atlanta, we all thought it was going south and we were just going to get a bit of snow of off it. Apparently it made a left turn somewhere around Texas cause Birmingham got caught with their pants down too. I can't blame the school for not shutting down, I sent my kids to school and went to work myself.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Not to worry folks - the big game is here in Phoenix next year. It'll be 70 degrees or so.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts