Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I am installing button type switches in the plastic chrome speedometer housing. Those switches will be used to trigger relay switches for accessories. What I’m trying to figure out is what wire to use in the headlight bucket. Basically, I’ll tap into that wire and extend it to the button switch and then connect the other switch to the relay. When the switch is engaged (with the ignition on, that will trigger the relay. Ive done this type of thing before under the seat, but I's rather not have to run a wire all the way back there.

The wire I’m looking to tap into should only be powered when the ignition is on. It isn’t going to be used to power anything directly, just trigger the relay.

I need to know the color of the wire. Can anyone tell me what wire to tap into?

Thanks VERY much!!!

EDIT: It's a 2009 C50

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
There is an accessory 2 wire plug in the headlight bucket that is on with the ignition. It is meant for the OEM light bar which runs 2- 25 watt spot lights. You could use this as a trigger for relays but you should run a separate fused wire from the battery to actually carry the loads. I think I heard that the odd person has melted their ignition just with the OEM spots. You will definitely run into that if you try to power anything significant with the accessory power plug. It has a black wire with a white stripe (ground) and an orange with a blue stripe.
You can download a complete manual from Part shark, the K9 wiring diagrams are the last 2 pages. PartShark.com - Motorcycle Parts, ATV Parts, UTV Parts, PWC Parts, Powersports Apparel, Motorcycle Accessories for OEM and Aftermarket.
They are updating and it isn't available right now. If you PM me your email and I can send you the pdf.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much.
I'm only planning on using that power to trigger relay switches. Power to the accessories will have their own wire going to the battery through the relay switch.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
149 Posts
How did your mod go?

I will be putting on a pair of 35 watt driving lights using Kuryakyn's driving light and relay kit soon, and I'm not sure what colour wire I should tap into. I have a 2009 C50SEC, so I would love to know what wire you used for your mods, and where I can find it.

Thanks much.

BTW, I would like to wire it so that the driving lights will turn off when the bike starts, just like the headlight does.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The information Coffee Man provided was dead on correct. I used that and a manual switch to trigger a relay. Worked great...

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I haven't checked if the spots OEM connector loses power when starting. There is a yellow/ white wire to the Headlight relay that drops power when starting. That is how I'm triggering the relay for my spot lights. I find it amazing how thin those wires are going to the headlight bulb.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I haven't checked if the spots OEM connector loses power when starting. There is a yellow/ white wire to the Headlight relay that drops power when starting. That is how I'm triggering the relay for my spot lights. I find it amazing how thin those wires are going to the headlight bulb.
Thanks for the info - I'm planning on using the yellow/white wire to trigger all my accessory relays. I'd like to run a wire (spliced to the yellow/white wire) from the headlight to the C50's toolbox, where I'll make all the other connections and keep any other electrical components. I figure that would keep everything readily accessible and easily adaptable, although it does mean I'll also have to run more lines all over the bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts