Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title says, what grade gas should I use in my 2006 Suzuki Boulevard?

Will i ever need an Octane Booster? I'm new to all this so any advice would be super helpful!

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
Just as the title says, what grade gas should I use in my 2006 Suzuki Boulevard?

Will i ever need an Octane Booster? I'm new to all this so any advice would be super helpful!

Thanks

The regular grade of Gas, 87 octane as it is labeled on the pump, is all you will ever need for the C50. That is what the manufacturer specifies in all the manuals and there is NO advantage to spending the extra money on the higher octane (not better octane or better gas)
watch this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPPkPAbzwbU

You are bound to get differing opinions... but in the end, all that really matters is MY opinion...... :biglaugh:

·
Registered
123 Posts
As a mechanic, you wouldn't believe how many people have asked me "what grade of fuel should I use in my car?" My answer is always "what your owners manual says to use". The only reason a higher octane fuel should be used is if the compression of the engine would require it, and if it does the manual will say so. Any of the suzuki 800 engines are not high enough compression to need high octane fuel, I assure you.

As a personal rule, I always research what kind of fuel to use in any of the cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc that I buy. I've even tried testing different grades of fuel in some of them and I've only ever found one that I needed to use high octane fuel in. It was a 4-stroke motocross bike that recommended 94 octane or higher. I tried it with 87 octane... Would not run. PERIOD! I actually started to blend a 94 octane fuel with a 98 octane race fuel and it worked really well!

WOW I've started to ramble... Anyway moral of the story; I've tried high octane fuel in my '02 suzuki 800, didn't get better mileage, or more power or any other benefits. Use a good quality regular octane fuel. It's all you need. Anything else would be a waste of money.

·
Registered
392 Posts
yep 87 like gene said is pretty much all I use unless the bike is going to sit for over a month or more I will run the bike until the fuel light comes on and fill it up with rec 90 (non ethanol) just to help with controlling the water that the ethanol fuel can absorb

·
Registered
893 Posts
I always keep a splash of Star Tron or Sea Foam in my tank with 87 gas to fight off water and ethanol!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I always keep a splash of Star Tron or Sea Foam in my tank with 87 gas to fight off water and ethanol!
Star tron doesn't do that. If you get a little moisture in the gas. The ethanol will bond with it and pass it through the engine. It doesn't harm it. You know what's in sea foam? It has some alcohol in it. So, you put in alcohol to fight off ethanol. That makes no sense

·
Registered
369 Posts
Im one of the idiots who run Ethanol Free Premium 92 Octane.. I've been getting 48-50 mpg with it. I ran 87 a few times and got low 40s mpg wise..$3 extra per tank is okay with me if I am getting that kind of mileage. have to play again this year and see if 87 does better now that the lower octane at this coop is ethanol free.. Just coming from other makes of bike, always ran premium. heck I even run the lawn mower on premium.. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
19,345 Posts
The difference is the lack of ethanol in the fuel. It has nothing to do with the octane rating on the pump. You are wasting your money, especially if you can get 87 octane ethanol free gas elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
My buddy runs the mid-grade in his bike but I gave up arguing with him about it, if he wants to spend the extra money and he feels it is better for his bike, so be it. I feel it makes no difference and continue to use regular grade. I do have to burn premium in my '04 Mazdaspeed Miata however as it runs a turbo...

·
Registered
81 Posts
ummmm, wow I've always wondered about this question, me personally I spend 8 bucks a week on gas and its always 93 or higher if I can find it.

why?

friend who sold me the bike straight up showed me the bike even with choke at the time would stall out and sputter with 87, maybe an underlying issue but the dealer who sold it to his father said always put 93

also, from my experience of working overnights at a circle K gas station I can tell you right now, rules for cleanliness and prevention of water inside the 87 tanks are far more laxed than the 93 and above tanks, asked why once and was told corporate decided it wasn't very cost effective, every time I went out and cleaned the fill areas of the tanks the 87 was ALWAYS covered in rust, and the lid always underwater manager would yell at me for wasting time pumping water out before opening cap, 93 far different story rubber sealed cap never rusted driver replaced cap once a month never underwater

so IDK maybe just a Lee County thing to me 20 or 30 cents a gallon doesnt matter 8 bucks always covers 7 days

·
Super Moderator
23,903 Posts
also, from my experience of working overnights at a circle K gas station I can tell you right now, rules for cleanliness and prevention of water inside the 87 tanks are far more laxed than the 93 and above tanks, asked why once and was told corporate decided it wasn't very cost effective, every time I went out and cleaned the fill areas of the tanks the 87 was ALWAYS covered in rust, and the lid always underwater manager would yell at me for wasting time pumping water out before opening cap, 93 far different story rubber sealed cap never rusted driver replaced cap once a month never underwater
There's another side to that. In a lot of places where we tend to ride our bikes they are low income areas. No one owns a high performance engine and wants to spend the additional cost for premium. This means that stores are cycling through the regular fairly quickly, but their premium may have been sitting in the tanks for a long time. With the gas sitting, it builds condensation and tends to be in all around worse condition than the cheap stuff.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Not to mention, hitting stations with one hose for fuel, Bike hold 4 Gallons, and the one ahead of you or used the pump last pumped Regular, you want premium. I was told the hose to the pump valve for the fuel you want can hold nearly a gallon of fuel. I always opt for the pups with a different hose for each grade as well.

·
Registered
579 Posts
premium???

When the owners manual in your car says nothing is gained by running premium fuel in an engine the manufacturer recommended 87 why is a motorcycle any different? My 2012 bully says 87.

???:serious:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts