Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably going to end out like a tire or oil question. But here goes....

So, I have a leather jacket that is 10 years old. The black color is fading. When I bought the leather from Walter Dyers in Framingham, MA he told me to rub WD40 into the leather every once in a while. Needless, to say, I have not done it. Sounds weird. So, what do other people do to condition and bring back the black color to their leathers?

Beezer, no need to know what you rub into your leather. I can just tell it will go down hill from there on.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Super Moderator
58,824 Posts
Sorry if I did Carl.

You're welcome for the recommendation though.

·
Super Moderator
26,124 Posts
Beezer, no need to know what you rub into your leather. I can just tell it will go down hill from there on.
That was my first thought when I read the title of this thread.
:Biglaugh:

Reactions: beezer

·
Super Moderator
58,824 Posts
Talk about paying attention to detail. I never even read that line or the whole post. I just recommended :p

·
Super Moderator
26,124 Posts
Talk about paying attention to detail. I never even read that line or the whole post. I just recommended :p

Careful now, if you start slipping at the job someone else will come along and take it away from you. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
I am impressed that this hasn't turned into a sh*tshow.....yet! Great self control Beez!

To answer your question, I use a product from a company called Color-Plus. They make a whole line of products to clean, repair, recondition leather car interiors and are used by my local auto museum. I use their SOFFENER leather conditioning product on my car seats, motorcycle leathers and my briefcases. The stuff is not cheap and works best when left to sit overnight before buffing. It has brought back stiff, brittle seat leather to a soft and supple tone.

https://colorplus.com/products/soffener-leather-conditioner-1-2-pint

Reactions: beezer

·
Super Moderator
8,948 Posts
Mike was able to recolor an old, favorite leather jacket of his by using Doc Bailey's. He bought the stuff from Hot Leathers, as I recall.

Cost like $15 a bottle, which Mike somehow feels is very expensive -- but it worked well.

·
Super Moderator
26,124 Posts
Mike was able to recolor an old, favorite leather jacket of his by using Doc Bailey's. He bought it from Hot Leathers, as I recall.

Cost like $15 a bottle, which Mike somehow feels is very expensive -- but it worked well.

He's just saving his dimes to take care of his lady. :wink2:

·
Administrator
16,362 Posts
Doc Baileys works.

·
Registered
20,625 Posts

.[/QUOTE]

Mike watches those pennies so he can buy nice things for his main (and only) squeeze.

·
Super Moderator
21,093 Posts
doc baileys here too...which reminds me to use it.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for all the great recommendations everyone. I hope everyone is doing well!

·
Registered
19,696 Posts
I get neatsfoot oil from farm and fleet. I use it on all of our tack and leather goods.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
+1 on Neets Foot Oil. Especially on dried out leather. I have a sprayer bottle full of the stuff, and buy it by the gallon down at the feed store.

in the winter I use Mink Oil, to repel the rain when the bike has to sit out in the parking lot.

Other products that work well on distressed leather, ...
- Zymol (expensive)
- Saddle Soap (In-expensive, find it in shoe stores, Big-5, etc.)
- Leather Honey (a little expensive, but works well)

WD40 - Works well, leather soaks it up fast, but also dries out in a couple of days, and leaves it's signature odor for a week or so. I used WD40 on an old leather jacket that hung in a closet for 20 years and dried out. It worked well to resuscitate the leather to start the absorption process, then while it was drying out used Mink Oil to condition and water proof it. I had to let it hang outside for a week to let the WD40 odor dissipate before the wife would let me bring it back in the house.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts