Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend brought me her 03 Volusia 800 for an oil change and to replace the spark plugs. She also brought me the Haynes manual for it and I used it to make sure I did everything correctly. Well, I either did something I shouldn't have or didn't do something I should have. I took it for a test ride and now it has a shutter once the speed is equal to the throttle input. As long as you are giving it more throttle, it runs just fine. If you left off the throttle, it doesn't shutter either. I've gone back over everything I done and can't find anything out of place.

I've searched through several pages here and haven't found the same problem. If someone could point me in a direction to look, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for keeping up such a great forum!
Danny

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes, I pulled the tank completely off. I removed the seat, unbolted the speedometer assembly, unbolted the tank, disconnected the fuel line, disconnected the fuel gauge wiring harness. I removed the spark plug from cylinder #1 first, new plug was already gapped at .034, installed plug. The second plug was just as easy. I put everything back on just the way it came off, nothing ever gave a bit of trouble. It starts fine, idles fine, and runs fine as long as you are "in the throttle". Once it levels out or I'm not in the throttle, it shutters or acts like one cylinder has a misfire.

·
Premium Member
9,059 Posts
To bad you didn't take it for a test ride first ........... symptoms could be the reason she brought you the plugs.

Have you tried riding with the choke\fuel enhancement knob pulled out?
If not try it and if it runs better then I'd be looking at why it's not getting fuel or enough of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks t-man. I'll give that a try and reply back with what I find out. Am I correct in thinking there is some type of filter element in the trap connected to the bottom of the tank?

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
check all the vacuum lines
could be a leak. i would check at the petc0ck first as you disconnected
that one to remove the tank

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
btw hows it idle?

·
Premium Member
9,059 Posts
Yes, I pulled the tank completely off. I removed the seat, unbolted the speedometer assembly, unbolted the tank, disconnected the fuel line, disconnected the fuel gauge wiring harness. I removed the spark plug from cylinder #1 first, new plug was already gapped at .034, installed plug. The second plug was just as easy. I put everything back on just the way it came off, nothing ever gave a bit of trouble. It starts fine, idles fine, and runs fine as long as you are "in the throttle". Once it levels out or I'm not in the throttle, it shutters or acts like one cylinder has a misfire.
btw hows it idle?
I'm thinking along the same line as you.
I'd check the boot on the carb as well. It is a 2003 and perhaps the carb is not seated properly due to someone else working on it.

·
Premium Member
9,059 Posts
No.

If you look at the bottom of the carb, it sits "IN" an upside down "Y" branch to delivery the fuel to each cylinder. There is a gear clamp of sorts that seals the boot around the base of the carb. It is molded in such a way that the carb actually snaps down into the boot. The clamp could be loose or the carb itself may not be seated properly. Easy to check out.

·
Premium Member
9,059 Posts
This can go on and on but most things are easy to check.

The "Pair Valve" can cause grief as well.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Problem solved ?

Was it a carb issue afterall ? Interested if you got your problem solved and what the solution was. Hope so. Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts