Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Gang,
How's it hangin'? I'm confused. I just bought a used Suzuki Boulevard. I'm the 3rd owner. It says "Boulevard" on the tank.
I was told by several people I have a C50.
The owners manual the seller gave me says "VL800/C/T"
As I searched for correct tire pressure in the manual it lists 3 types of tires and 2 sets of tire pressures.
The manual says the correct tire pressure for the VL800 is 29psi in front, 36psi in the rear.
The manual says the correct tire pressure for the VL800T/C is 33psi in the front, 36psi in the rear.

The manual says the size of the front tire in the VL800 is 130/90-16 m/c 67H and the tire TYPE is IRC GS-23F. And the size of the rear tire is 170/80-15 m/c 77H and the rear TYPE is IRC GS-23R.

The manual says the size of the front tire in the VL800T is 130/90-16 m/c 67H, and the rear tire is 170/80-15 m/c 77H.
The TYPE of the front tire in the VL800T is IRC GS-23F RW and the TYPE of the rear is IRC GS-23R RW.

The manual says the size of the front tire in the VL800C is 130/90-16 m/c 67H, and rear tire is 170/80-15 m/c 77H. The TYPE of the front tire in the VL800C is IRC GS-23F D and the TYPE of the rear is IRC GS-23R D.

I've now been told I have a "Volusia", a "Boulevard", a "C50", a VL800, a VL800T (with only some of the tour accessories) and a VL800C. I know the history says the name changed in 2005 but can someone tell me what I bought or a way I can tell for myself?

·
Super Moderator
33,528 Posts
I just deleted your other thread. Please don't post multiple times in different areas. They all go to the main feed. Pick an area and put the thread there, right or wrong.

Here's the answer I gave in that one, moved here.

Boulevard is the line, C50 is the marketing model name. The VL800 is the internal model number. In some countries the same bike is sold as a different model name, but it is still a VL800. Boulevard also includes the M109, C109, C90, and M50. I think some of those models aren't sold anymore. Volusia was the name of the line prior to 2005, and was a carbureted model.

Basically, you have a Suzuki Boulevard C50 (VL800).

Yes, I know you said you didn't want the history, but you'll have to finger it out yourself, so you need to understand.

As for the T at the end, it denotes the touring model, which comes with factory saddle bags, a passenger backrest, and a windshield. If you've got those, you can assume you have a C50T. Honestly, I'm not sure wtf a C50c is.

As for tire type, I'm going to guess that the touring model came with tires that were a bit harder rubber for longer mileage life. It doesn't matter what type of tire the bike came with, buy whatever you think will fit the ride you want.

Hopefully that helps.

·
Registered
407 Posts
You have a C50. So do I.
It's a Boulevard, but they used to be called a Volusia some years ago. (Volusia is a much cooler name though, I think. :sneaky: )

So, whatever you want to call it, it's a C50.
Look no further.

As for tire pressures, 29F/36R will do you fine for most usual circumstances.

• Love
Reactions: Mark Schultz

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I just deleted your other thread. Please don't post multiple times in different areas. They all go to the main feed. Pick an area and put the thread there, right or wrong.

Here's the answer I gave in that one, moved here.

Boulevard is the line, C50 is the marketing model name. The VL800 is the internal model number. In some countries the same bike is sold as a different model name, but it is still a VL800. Boulevard also includes the M109, C109, C90, and M50. I think some of those models aren't sold anymore. Volusia was the name of the line prior to 2005, and was a carbureted model.

Basically, you have a Suzuki Boulevard C50 (VL800).

Yes, I know you said you didn't want the history, but you'll have to finger it out yourself, so you need to understand.

As for the T at the end, it denotes the touring model, which comes with factory saddle bags, a passenger backrest, and a windshield. If you've got those, you can assume you have a C50T. Honestly, I'm not sure wtf a C50c is.

As for tire type, I'm going to guess that the touring model came with tires that were a bit harder rubber for longer mileage life. It doesn't matter what type of tire the bike came with, buy whatever you think will fit the ride you want.

Hopefully that helps.
Since my post I attempted to delete my question in one or both forums and for some reason couldn't figure it out. Also I discovered on one of the most obscure forum questions someone mentioning the psi, tire type, etc was printed on the swing arm. When I googled what that is I immediate looked at it and there is was, in all its glory. lol. Hey Everybody, your PSI is on your swing arm (it holds your back wheel on). You can delete my previous messages regarding this issue now. Thank you for your response. Now I can finally realize I've been riding a VL800. Hard to believe it took me this long to realize what I bought. I just liked the sound of the cobra pipes. btw side note...if you saw the movie Foxcatcher starring Channing Tatum, it's about me based on my NYT best seller "Foxcatcher". God bless.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
btw the Front tire of the VL800 C50 is 29 psi, the rear has 36 psi. I've read a lot of posts about the correct psi and it seems the only way to know how much to fill is through lots of experience with that particular bike. The recommended psi level is just a starting point.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have a C50. So do I.
It's a Boulevard, but they used to be called a Volusia some years ago. (Volusia is a much cooler name though, I think. :sneaky: )

So, whatever you want to call it, it's a C50.
Look no further.

As for tire pressures, 29F/36R will do you fine for most usual circumstances.
The #'s you just gave me are on the swingarm.

·
Registered
21,201 Posts
Since the beginning of the line, they have all been VL800. The Volusia was a VL800, the C50 is a VL800. There is no mechanical difference in the engine, transmission forks, rims, wheels, tires, brakes, etc. They are all the same, regardless of part number.

·
Registered
216 Posts
"I've now been told I have a "Volusia", a "Boulevard", a "C50", a VL800, a VL800T (with only some of the tour accessories) and a VL800C. I know the history says the name changed in 2005 but can someone tell me what I bought or a way I can tell for myself?"

You bought them all. Overall, it's the VL800, but depending where you are in the world they call it all those other things, and then some...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"I've now been told I have a "Volusia", a "Boulevard", a "C50", a VL800, a VL800T (with only some of the tour accessories) and a VL800C. I know the history says the name changed in 2005 but can someone tell me what I bought or a way I can tell for myself?"

You bought them all. Overall, it's the VL800, but depending where you are in the world they call it all those other things, and then some...
If they were all the same there wouldn't be 2 different sets of psi's. In my manual the VL800 is 29 front 36 back, The VL800T and VL800C it's 33 front 36 back.

·
Registered
21,201 Posts
That is because the T has the additional weight of the windscreen and saddle bags. Otherwise, there is no difference at all. Not one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Gang,
How's it hangin'? I'm confused. I just bought a used Suzuki Boulevard. I'm the 3rd owner. It says "Boulevard" on the tank.
I was told by several people I have a C50.
The owners manual the seller gave me says "VL800/C/T"
As I searched for correct tire pressure in the manual it lists 3 types of tires and 2 sets of tire pressures.
The manual says the correct tire pressure for the VL800 is 29psi in front, 36psi in the rear.
The manual says the correct tire pressure for the VL800T/C is 33psi in the front, 36psi in the rear.

The manual says the size of the front tire in the VL800 is 130/90-16 m/c 67H and the tire TYPE is IRC GS-23F. And the size of the rear tire is 170/80-15 m/c 77H and the rear TYPE is IRC GS-23R.

The manual says the size of the front tire in the VL800T is 130/90-16 m/c 67H, and the rear tire is 170/80-15 m/c 77H.
The TYPE of the front tire in the VL800T is IRC GS-23F RW and the TYPE of the rear is IRC GS-23R RW.

The manual says the size of the front tire in the VL800C is 130/90-16 m/c 67H, and rear tire is 170/80-15 m/c 77H. The TYPE of the front tire in the VL800C is IRC GS-23F D and the TYPE of the rear is IRC GS-23R D.

I've now been told I have a "Volusia", a "Boulevard", a "C50", a VL800, a VL800T (with only some of the tour accessories) and a VL800C. I know the history says the name changed in 2005 but can someone tell me what I bought or a way I can tell for myself?
there are 3 types of C50( they’re all VL800)
C50(spoke wheels), C50T(spoke wheels, tour options), and C50C(special edition with Mag wheels).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought my 2011 Boulevard about three weeks ago. It has 18k miles on the odometer. The seller told me that he bought it from a friend a year ago and he <the seller> put 1,000 miles on it before buying a Gold Wing. He also told me that his friend had acquired it in trade for a debt that he (the friend, not the guy that I bought it from) was owed. So other than knowing that I'm at least the 4th owner, it came with zero history. And a clutch that was slipping (which is probably why the previous 2 owners passed it on rather quickly). So I don't know what is stock, what might have been dealer-installed, and what is aftermarket. Well, the pillion pad and passenger foot rests are definitely aftermarket but irrelevant here. As you can see in the photo the side cover says C50T (I think that we can consider the "T" to be a "trim line"). The "T" explains the windscreen, panniers, and passenger backrest. But as you can also see, the wheels are cast aluminum and not wire spoke, which according to JHS1111 means that it's a C50C. So I guess that I have a C50CT (c:

Regardless of what's on the side cover, the parts diagrams at Revzilla.com only show cast wheels on the "VL800C" model designation. AFAIK the model designation only makes a difference when ordering parts. The trim line is just for bragging rights when you talk to your friends. We're all friends here, right?

And what of the slipping clutch? It fixed itself after I changed the oil and "scrubbed" the clutch plates a bit by pulling a few wheelies. Just kidding about the wheelies.
-Corry

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Plant Fuel tank

1 - 19 of 19 Posts