Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm about a month away from getting some Cruzers. And I suppose I should just call the dealer about this, but I would rather have needles stuck into my eyeballs rather than talk to those bastards, so I'll save that as a last resort.

Since I forked out for an extended warranty, I have to know...Does putting on aftermarket pipes (Cruzers, Straightshots, etc.,) void the warranty?

Thanks to all in advance!

Steve

·
Administrator
29,580 Posts
Maybe. I would call the people offering the warranty. My gut feeling is that they would say your warranty is void for one reason or another anyway (I'm not a big fan of extended warranties)

Anyway, give'em a shout. DOn't bother with your dealer.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Welcome from Indianapolis. The dealer installs those pipes and it is still under warranty. I don't know about Flatouts's service Mgr but the one(BRENT) at Dreyr is pretty good about dealing with Suzuki and the warranty people. The service Mgr is the only thing I like about Dreyr's service dept. Welcome to the VR. If you need help with anything let me know.

Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
basshole said:
The Manguson Moss act prohibits a manufacturer from voiding a warranty by using after market parts. Your warranty should be intact.
Rally? Cool! Is that a Federal Law of some sort? I'm gonna try to look it up, just in case. If you can guide me, that'd be fantastic.

Thanks for the info!

Steve

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
basshole said:
The Manguson Moss act prohibits a manufacturer from voiding a warranty by using after market parts. Your warranty should be intact.
Never mind, I found it. Looks like there are some loopholes in it. Says here it does not void a warranty, "unless the warranty clearly and conspicuously states that aftermarket equipment voids the warranty." Under my warranty, this would fall under the chapter of "Tampering With Noise Control System Prohibited," which contains a chapter which states that one act presumed to constitute tampering is "replacing the exhaust system or muffler with another not marked with the same model code listed on the Motorcycle Noise Emission Control Information label...."

However the act also states the the dealer must show proof that said modification led to the covered problem.

I'm getting the damn pipes, then getting tickets for the Judge Judy show!

·
Premium Member
17,308 Posts
Moondog I also have the extended warranty and my dealer wanted to sell me HK 3inch straights and filter and do a rejet. His price was very high. So I didn't go for it. Something like $900.00 parts and labor. I don't think they would be so eager to sell the parts and do the work if it would void the warranty. Then again they did want the money. LOL

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What I think I'll do is put the Cruzers on, keep the stock pipes handy until the warranty runs out, then if anything goes wrong, I'll throw the stocks back on before I taker her in! Hahaa

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Big Pete said:
Moondog I also have the extended warranty and my dealer wanted to sell me HK 3inch straights and filter and do a rejet. His price was very high. So I didn't go for it. Something like $900.00 parts and labor. I don't think they would be so eager to sell the parts and do the work if it would void the warranty. Then again they did want the money. LOL
Yeah, I'll be whipped at a post before I let a stealer charge me some ridiculous amount for throwing on some pipes, warranty or no warranty! Especially since I wouldn't have to worry about re-jetting. I remember my old Shadow ACE 750, I was talking trying to get a price on Cobra drags (the cheapest just about anyone makes) and he was saying they we would start talking at around $700. I told him that would be a one-sided conversation and walked.

·
Registered
17,083 Posts
Lemme put it this way, if 3rd party components voided your warranty, don't you think they would be shoving oil changes using factory original oil down your throat? Does a cat back system on your cage void your warranty? NO! They will say almost anything to get you to buy factory original parts. This tactic has been around forever! The computer industry HP, Compaq back in the day, Dell...) all use the ploy of if you use 3rd party memory it will void your warranty. BULL!! They also used it as a scare tactic to get you to by service contracts from them by saying they won't service if your system fails because you are using 3rd party components. they can't do that it's against the law!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
wouldn't woory about the warrenty

do what you want. make the bike the way you want it to be. your the one riding and paying for it.

every dealer I've spoken with "runs fro the hills" every time i even hint the slightest suggestion of the "warranty"

·
Registered
277 Posts
Welcome from Greenwood, Indiana. Nice to learn of other nerby riders on the site. For me, I talked about this same issue with others and the bottom line seems to be that the dealer has to prove that any modifications were the cause of any needed repair. Of course, the stealer will say that anything/everything is voided since you did something to it so you just have to hold your ground and oush the issue if need be.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wild Man said:
I'd take my chances with the warranty. There isn't anything better than getting new pipes.

Wild Man
I'm with you, my friend! Anything goes wrong, I'll just throw the stock pipes back on before I take it in!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
VA RIDER said:
Welcome from Greenwood, Indiana. Nice to learn of other nerby riders on the site.
Yeah, good hearing from you, too. My son lives on County Line Rd, he just bought his first bike. Maybe we can hook up next summer and start up a gang! Haha.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts