Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drilled out the bolts on my front head because they broke off. put a puller in and it broke off in there as well. So Now I'm at a loss... I can't grab the puller to get it out, so what now??

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If I end up having to pull the head, do I have to pull the whole engine to do so?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Drilled out the bolts on my front head because they broke off.
Are you referring to the exhaust bolts?

put a puller in and it broke off in there as well. So Now I'm at a loss...
Bolt extractor?

So Now I'm at a loss... I can't grab the puller to get it out, so what now??
If the answers to the questions above are "yes" then here is what I did (I could not drill the broken extractor leftovers with any drill bit):

1. Locate Dremel with grind stone (cone shaped with diamater smaller than bolt hole)
2. Grind at the extractor (tip of cone directed towards bolt hole) until there is no visible trace of the leftover space age metal (stay clear of threads)

** If the answers to my questions above were "No" I hope somene could chime in and help.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, bolt extractor. I will have to stop by Wal-Mart to get the dremel. I've never done this before, so I am a bit frustrated. It doesn't help that I'm sick and my patience is running thinner.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
52,344 Posts
Have You got a mig or buzz box welder?
Tack weld a piece of steel rod or old bolt to the broken off bolt, only if there is some protrusion.
An acetylene torch will work as well, but one must be careful when using the torch.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gonna try the dremel bit and the drill it out the rest of the way and use a helicoil to re-thread it... I hope

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
If the answers to the questions above are "yes" then here is what I did (I could not drill the broken extractor leftovers with any drill bit):

1. Locate Dremel with grind stone (cone shaped with diamater smaller than bolt hole)
2. Grind at the extractor (tip of cone directed towards bolt hole) until there is no visible trace of the leftover space age metal (stay clear of threads)
** If the answers to my questions above were "No" I hope somene could chime in and help.
I did the same thing, broke the hardened extractor off. Dremeled it flush, punched it and redrilled it with plenty of oil and a hardened drill bit. Small first, then larger and Viola, the broken extractor and the broken bolt just turned out.

Now I am very careful when using an extractor. First, use the correct drill size with oil. Second, do not twist, turn, or push sideways on the extractor. I make sure that I keep the extractor straight and the force directly inline with the broken bolt. The slightest side force will break the hardened extractor when under pressure.

I got too casual. It took a fair amount of time to fix the broken because I was hurrying and thought it would be easy.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got too casual. It took a fair amount of time to fix the broken because I was hurrying and thought it would be easy.
See, I got in a hurry too. Now I am spending time and money to fix something so small...

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I read that they would break if you are drilling on an edge.

Yes it can, you should start with a flat surface, if you use a dremmel or a die grinder you will need to have a carbide burr or a stone to flush the surface then you can use a fine tipped burr to make a "center divit" for the drill.
I would also tape up surrounding areas with blue painters tape covered by two layers or more of duct tape (duct tape is much harder to get off than masking tape) so when (not if) the burr slips it will minimize damage.
Post a couple pics if you can.

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
See, I got in a hurry too. Now I am spending time and money to fix something so small...

You really have not spent any money,,,yet.

If your next few steps are not perfect you WILL spend lots of money.

Did you apply heat to begin with?

Take it to a machine shop before this gets real serious.

You're not screwed,,,yet.

·
Registered
341 Posts
You really have not spent any money,,,yet.

If your next few steps are not perfect you WILL spend lots of money.

Did you apply heat to begin with?

Take it to a machine shop before this gets real serious.

You're not screwed,,,yet.
I like this idea,,,,, why take the chance of making it worse....

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
I have a carbide drill that would drill it.. but I'm not there.. look for a cobalt drill.
They will drill very tough stuff
Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
If you can find a machine shop that has a portable Metal Arc Disintegrator, we used to burn broken taps out with it. Just another option.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought a rescue bit. Should be here on Friday, along with my bolts and gaskets :)

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got everything in now except for the rescue bit... This "tiny" project could have been completed yesterday, had I not used the bot extractor :(

·
Super Moderator
57,613 Posts
Thats why I don't do anything. If you don't do anything you can't do anything wrong.
Don't put red locktite on it this time.

Sent from The VooDoo Lounge

1 - 20 of 31 Posts