Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed last season toward the end of summer that my fuel milage was dropping. This season I have adjusted the valves and removed the pair and added some extra air holes in my air breather, none of these things have helped with my terrable fuel milage if I had to say it has only gotten worse. I adjusted the valves once along with removing the pair and added new plugs, but had to do it again last week cause I set the rear valves to lose. I added extra air holes for cold air in duction, but like I said my fuel milage is getting worse...Any Ideas...? 2004 Volusia

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I belive it was rejeted when the V&H straigtshots where put on. I am not sure though. I'd hate to mess with the carb.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last year I was getting 190 miles per tank about 47 miles to the gallon. this year at last fill up 161 miles and 39 miles tio the gallon. I do not hot rodd or race her I do the 65 even when in a 70MPH zone just for personal preffrance I will kick it up every once in awhile but not to hard.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just filled up my '04 Vol for the first time this week and got only 36.5 mpg - not happy but hoping it had something to do with fuel stabilizer...

·
Registered
91 Posts
May be the crappy gas we are shelling out a fortune for :evil:

My bike only has 1800 miles on it. Last year I was going 200 miles on a tank. This year I am only going 160 miles per tank. Can't say for sure yet without a couple more fill ups, but the mileage does seem worse.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree on that point cause my bike is running great and strong but not getting the miles I'd like. I think it might have something to do with the additives they are using...

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
Is it possible your driving different routes lately? Let me explain. I been checking my fuel milage driving around the Phoenix area and consistently get 39/40 miles/gal. Took my first out of town drive last weekend. 130 miles with few stops, got 50 miles/gal.

Eliminating the stop and go city driving boosted my milage 20%! The only explaination is no accelerating out of stop lights every two miles. (I do luvs to twist dat throttle!)

Could your driving habits/routes have changed enough to cause you to be consuming more gas?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was driving 85 miles one way to work at the first of the week last year then this year I am only driving 15 miles one way 30 round trip. and no I have not been able to get out on a long trip this year do to crappy weather here to find out if that be the differance...

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
I know short trips on mine make my mpg go down to 35-41mpg. Especially stop and go city.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You might be right about that I will have to run her some more bto really be able to tell I guess. Thanks.

·
Registered
13,217 Posts
also might double check to see that choke is actually closing ... i kno i get less mpg when i have to choke it more in the a.m.'s

just a thought... 8)

·
Registered
113 Posts
When the weather gets warmer you will get better mileage. I also have an 04 Volusia. I have only had the bike since Sept. of last year. A few trips when it was warmer I got 50+ mpg. The few rides I look after the weather got colder I noticed a dramatic decrease in mpg. I took a ride last weekend when the temps were in low 70's and I got 50+ mpg again.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
190 miles and how many gallons? Unless you are running it bone dry that sure seems like better mileage than you are saying????? I am in the mid 50s when my light starts flashing at 160 miles. Around 3 gallons to fill at that point

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay lets see bike has a 4.5 gal tank, it took 4 gals to fill which leaves .5 gals in the tank so no I was not running it bone dry. I fill up when I get to the last bar on gague. After filling up this week I put in 3.37 gals in and only got 140 miles. It may just be additives in the fuel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have never been able to figure this subject at hand. I bought my 04 Volusia brand new, broke it in properly, and now have 18,000 miles on it...... On a trip from FL to VA and back, I got 40/41 mpg......... That is the best I have ever measured on it. It generally seems to get 36-38....... I have read on numerous occasions that this bike should get 40-45 MPG..........??????

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Riding style has alot to do with mpg. Three of us ride together on a regular bases. We have a 05, a 06 and a 06. We all get different mileage although we ride the same route. You could be a little harder on the throttle one day and not on the next. You could have filled with poor quality of gas. There are quite a few variables that will increase or decrease your gas mileage. There is no real way of achieving accurate gas mileage.

If you are concerned that there is a problem then I would take it to a dealer.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts