Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just heard about the mud slide near Oso that's killed some and left many more still missing. Fair number of VR friends come out of Washington state and just want to make sure everyone is ok.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
The slide covers an area of about 1 mile square. The slide itself is a mud and tree mixture much like quick sand. The first responders hear some cries from a person or people trapped in the debris of a house and tried investigating the remains but it proved to be too dangerous and they abandoned the search without finding the trapped screamer that was last night. No cries were heard today it was no doubt a terrible thing for all involved. The slide is still unstable but is creating what is thought to be a temporary lake behind the slide area. It has the potential to release mud and a wall of water in the lower river areas.

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
It's up to 8 dead so far and still about 18 missing. I've ridden a bike and drove truck through there many times. I "think" I've even delivered some lumber to that little development. Mother nature sure can be a b***h at times.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for your concern tgabriel, I'm located like 1 1/2 hour south from the mud slide. Now they say that donations are being accepted via the Red cross and that they are in need of cash specially. the thing is that I've heard about money manipulation in this and other institutions that I just don't feel comfortable about handing money away. Any thoughts about it ?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Wrong watershed for me thank goodness. What a horrible way to go. Rode up through Granite Falls then the Burn Road but turned around before Arlington yesterday. Snowing in the pass changed our plans. We did not catch up with Duffy and Hammer who rode over to see Spamcan. Prayers to those OSO families. Duffy lives North on the Skagit floodplain. I was trying to think if we know anyone in the Arlington/Stanwood area. I used to know a guy would lived in OSO in a trailer by the river, but he moved a year ago..we think. I hope.

What it made me think of when I saw your post however, were the Calgary floods last June. Worlds going to hell, wars everywhere, aliens highjacking aircraft, and snow back east again.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Thanks for your concern tgabriel, I'm located like 1 1/2 hour south from the mud slide. Now they say that donations are being accepted via the Red cross and that they are in need of cash specially. the thing is that I've heard about money manipulation in this and other institutions that I just don't feel comfortable about handing money away. Any thoughts about it ?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Some of the money always trickles down to those in need. Giving tends to make you feel better :wayhappy: and a helping hand in times of need can be a comfort to those who are suffering. Those that give, give and does that don't, don't. Many of the red cross workers are volunteer workers. You can always volunteer your time.

Volunteers constitute about 95 percent of the American Red Cross workforce.

Be a Disaster Volunteer | Ways to Volunteer | American Red Cross

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
We have ridden that road many times. In fact one of our favorite roads. It is very sad when these disasters strike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts