Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I failed refueling 101 apparently. Every other bike I have ever owned the opening to the tank is, well, open. On my new HD, the opening has an insert with a small hole (presumably for overflows) and another hole just big enough for the gas pump filler thingy.

I wasn't comfortable pumping gas without seeing the level as it rose. Soooo, I pulled the nozzle back to see what I was doing (or to attempt to see, would be more accurate. Of course, I couldn't see where the nozzle end was either...

Pulled the nozzle out while I was still pumping gas... Wonder what that will do to the denim finish???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyone one who has ever had this kind of filler neck know how I am SUPPOSED TO FILL IT?

·
Premium Member
7,988 Posts
funbikerchick said:
Well, I failed refueling 101 apparently. Every other bike I have ever owned the opening to the tank is, well, open. On my new HD, the opening has an insert with a small hole (presumably for overflows) and another hole just big enough for the gas pump filler thingy.

I wasn't comfortable pumping gas without seeing the level as it rose. Soooo, I pulled the nozzle back to see what I was doing (or to attempt to see, would be more accurate. Of course, I couldn't see where the nozzle end was either...

Pulled the nozzle out while I was still pumping gas... Wonder what that will do to the denim finish???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyone one who has ever had this kind of filler neck know how I am SUPPOSED TO FILL IT?
my buddy sticks the nozzle in about an inch or two and when the pump stops, he stops.

·
Registered
590 Posts
... last time I stuck anything in an inch or two I got twin boys ... so I stopped ... heh heh ....

... I have buddy with the same gas tank rig and it makes him nervous as heck also ... same thing as you, he wants to see what is going on ... he doesn't trust the pump to shut off in time, but he's getting used to it (reluctantly) ... technology ... go figure ...

·
Premium Member
20,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PhL0aTeR said:
my buddy sticks the nozzle in about an inch or two and when the pump stops, he stops.
I was afraid to trust it to stop, but it can't possibly be worse than what I did this morning. I mean, I really covered the bike in gas!!!!

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like that is what I should do going forward, just trust it to stop.

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
isn't there a product that you attach to the nozzle? I think it's yellow.

It allows you to create the vacum so the pump will shut off on it's own.

·
Premium Member
20,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, bass ( i think) posted a link to some device that was to help prevent splashing and overflows, but I am not sure it would fit in this opening with the insert.

·
Premium Member
7,988 Posts
harryp said:
PhL0aTeR said:
Something just doesn't sound right about that! :lol: :wink:
LOL, i knew someone wouldnt let that one go!!!!

funbikerchick said:
PhL0aTeR said:
I was afraid to trust it to stop, but it can't possibly be worse than what I did this morning. I mean, I really covered the bike in gas!!!!

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like that is what I should do going forward, just trust it to stop.
yeah HD filler bung design is more like a cages design and creates enough pressure to make it stop on its own.... only reason my buddy just sticks it in enough is so that he gets the most out of his tank, cuz if you do as it was designed, you lose about 10% give or take, depending.... have trust in the pump... lol.... so did you get the new HD denim paint that wears with age? i saw a post about it earlier, and it piqued my curiosity... can you wax it?

Toe Knee said:
isn't there a product that you attach to the nozzle? I think it's yellow.

It allows you to create the vacum so the pump will shut off on it's own.
That works for tanks that dont have the new HD bung, but the HD bung is designed to work with the pumps so they turn off by themselves.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Stick a dremel tool down in there and grind that thing out. Once the fire is out, you'll have that "Instant Classic" aged look. :)

·
Premium Member
20,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PhL0aTeR said:
so did you get the new HD denim paint that wears with age? i saw a post about it earlier, and it piqued my curiosity... can you wax it?
Nope. You can't wax it. If you do, over time, it will become shiny. Not as shiny as clear coat, i don't imagine... Anyway, I guess I am going to help it age a little faster than it would otherwise... :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,988 Posts
funbikerchick said:
PhL0aTeR said:
so did you get the new HD denim paint that wears with age? i saw a post about it earlier, and it piqued my curiosity... can you wax it?
Nope. You can't wax it. If you do, over time, it will become shiny. Not as shiny as clear coat, i don't imagine... Anyway, I guess I am going to help it age a little faster than it would otherwise... :lol:
weird..... i guess my curiosity is piqued enough to go read about it.... lol

got pics of your bike? does it look noticeably different after you washed it with gas?

·
Premium Member
28,465 Posts
FBC not to worry, I've doen the same on my bike and the wifes too. Her's has the same set up as your and it does shut off. Took me a few time filling it to trust it but it does work. Mine? No excuse it was just a stupid move that day. Even funnier was my buddy was riding with me on a trip that day. He lauged his ass off at me for doing it. Then at the very next stop he did the exact same thing and hosed his tank down with gas! Then it was my turn to laugh my ass off at him. Karma works... :lol:

·
Administrator
53,914 Posts
funbikerchick said:
I really covered the bike in gas!!!!
I REALLY hate when that happens! And the hot cylinder "sizzle" afterward causes one to think.

·
Premium Member
20,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PhL0aTeR said:
funbikerchick said:
PhL0aTeR said:
weird..... i guess my curiosity is piqued enough to go read about it.... lol

got pics of your bike? does it look noticeably different after you washed it with gas?
This thread has some pics: http://www.volusiariders.com/viewtopic.php?t=70056&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=90

No noticable difference after the paint episode. When wiping the tank, some black was coming off on the paper towel, but I suspect that was just accumulated road grime.

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
funbikerchick said:
PhL0aTeR said:
I thought when you said 'denim' you were talking about your jeans!!! :lol:

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
Tena......check this out.....Kury makes it.......The Triumph's bung (tee hee) sounds to be similar to the HD's.....it has a small hole inside of the large ring, right?

I have this on my bike.....it serves as sort of a buffer so that you can keep the nosle out of the way of your line of site.......it also comes with a little key to lock and unlock the gas cap......a bit of a security feature.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts