Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DON'T DRILL HOLES ALL THE WAY DOWN THE MIDDLE OF YOUR "PLASTIC" FRONT FENDER AND MOUNT COOL LOOKING SPIKES! I took a look at Stella's fender and it actually fell into pieces! LOL! The little holes and the spikes caused it to literally disintegrate in front of my eyes. I didn't tighten the spikes down very tight for fear of this happening. I just hand tightened them and used loc-tight. I guess a little 1/4" hole every 4" was just too much for the cheap azz plastic.

Picture taken just hours before the fender crumbled into dozens of small pieces!

·
Administrator
16,713 Posts
That sucks!!! Looked good too.

Reactions: soapy1950

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks y'all! and OTG.... I wish I had known. I never dreamed the Loctite would do something like that. I plan to put the spikes on the new fender but this time I am going to shave the bolts and install them using a really strong 3m double side tape! LOL!

·
Registered
13,400 Posts
Your problem was probably the Loctite. Loctite will cause some plastics to shatter in front of your eyes. I know for a fact it is fatal to the windshield on a C50T. :)

Yes the problem was the Loctite. I put one drop on a bolt through a new front fender. 3 days later two 6 " cracks and a half dollar size piece laying in the floor. This happen while the bike just sit there!

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Yes the problem was the Loctite. I put one drop on a bolt through a new front fender. 3 days later two 6 " cracks and a half dollar size piece laying in the floor. This happen while the bike just sit there!

That's crazy! I never would have even thought of that. I have never used loctite on plastic. Now I know not to. Wow, that is just nuts.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
That's really tragic, bro. Lessons learned.

·
Administrator
53,946 Posts
Instead of Locktite, use a drop of weatherstrip adhesive on threads to prevent vibration loosening.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Instead of Locktite, use a drop of weatherstrip adhesive on threads to prevent vibration loosening.

What I take away from this is to test any adhesive or product before putting on my plastics. Yikes! At least he has some plastic pieces he can use as a test now.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Hey Mark, don't throw out those fender pieces. You can be our tester for product damage.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LOL! I doubt if I will be using ANY liquid adhesives after having to blow my budget on a new fender instead of some other goodies I wanted. I will be using only 3m tape on plastic from here on out. My test for the group was Loctite on plastic and that is all I am testing bro! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Mans that's a drag!
Must have a petroleum base. We used to test the noobies in the flooring industry by giving them a Styrofoam coffee cup after break and asking them to get some contact cement from the truck. If they came back not wearing it they were good to go, as it will eat through the cup in a matter of minutes.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.