Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The temp hit 67*F according to the thermometer so I thought it would be a good day for a ride to check out the new helmet. Carefully pushed the bike over the ice in front of the shop door out to the gravel, took a bit to get it running, and then suited up. Did 50 miles around the "local" neighborhood, up HWY 385 through Wind Cave National Park to Pringle and then south on HWY 89 to HWY 18 and then back to Hot Springs. Twas not a "great" day for a bike ride though. I do believe the thermometer was lying as it only felt like the low 50's. I have the "first" ride of 2018 in the books now..................

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Great to hear you had your first ride! Now tell us about the helmet.

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An HJC CL Maxx...........black with lime green accents (it matches the Versys). It's a modular and I got a steal of a deal off e-Bay...........They normally sell for $129-$169 and I paid $79.95 with free shipping. It fits good and has a blue-tooth hole even though I won't be using that. Seems to have decent ventilation and riding with the chin bar up is "comfortable". Not much heavier than the 3/4 HJC IS 33 that it replaced.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
The HJC Helmets are nice. I bought an HJC IS-Max 2 last year and have been very happy with it. Not the greatest ventilation, but I ride with my face shield open most of the time anyway. I like the fit and the weight. I use a BT set up with it to listen to music, get directions and take the occasional phone call. I'm a believer in full face helmets and HJC's are a good buy for the money.

Ride Safe and Often

·
Super Moderator
20,446 Posts
glad to read you logged your first ride of the year and no better way to break in the new riding season than with some new gear...enjoy and ride safe. Got my first ride in last week...felt good...now the roads are covered in snow again...soon enough tho.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Okay Duffy! Just go ahead and brag about it, why don't you? LOL! Meanwhile up here in the Great White North we just had about a foot of snow dumped on us the other day (in addition to all that we've had previously) and another 2 or 3 inches forecast for today.

Unfortunately, it is going to be a while until I can even start to think about riding. :crying2: It's been a long frickin' winter!

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
That's some brave stuff there.
If I saw ice in front of the shop, to me, that means there could be ice anywhere.

I'm a chicken when it comes to sand, or the possibility of an ice patch lurking around a corner.

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It got over 70* Wednesday so I went out again......just a short 20 miles or so (still have ice in front of the shop doors due to it being in the shade). Then Thursday night/Friday AM it dumped another 8" or so. It's up to 50* now and most of the snow is melted off. Should all be gone in a couple of days. Spring is around the corner.........I can smell it although I haven't seen any robins or meadow larks which are a sure sign that spring is close.

·
Registered
20,164 Posts
You're seeing the same Robins. They were flash frozen and haven't thawed yet. I hope that next one just fizzle out quickly and leave all of you with nothing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts