Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been contemplating this mod for years and now I'm about to do it over the next couple of days. In fact the stock drive shaft is away being milled.
It's taken a while as I've been unsure as I love the poke of the stock first gear and the way it is stock but I am going to give the mod a go.
I'm going to elongate the holes by using a file and dremel but has anyone gone back to the stock drive after doing this? I just want to know that even with the mounting holes elongated that it will be safe to put the stock drive back on if I ended up wanting to. I've heard that it is but have many done it.
I'm asking here again as I don't know any guys in the UK that have gone back to the stock drive. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
I've been contemplating this mod for years and now I'm about to do it over the next couple of days. In fact the stock drive shaft is away being milled.
It's taken a while as I've been unsure as I love the poke of the stock first gear and the way it is stock but I am going to give the mod a go.
I'm going to elongate the holes by using a file and dremel but has anyone gone back to the stock drive after doing this? I just want to know that even with the mounting holes elongated that it will be safe to put the stock drive back on if I ended up wanting to. I've heard that it is but have many done it.
I'm asking here again as I don't know any guys in the UK that have gone back to the stock drive. Cheers.
Elongating the holes makes it the simplest to go back to stock.... the stock drive just sits in the original position and no problems...

The original thought was to drill the holes oversize and the mod ''inventor'' supplied 3 bushings that recentered the studs in the swing arm holes... but the second guy was SOL unless he had a new set made....

You are good to go... and your ''poky 1st gear'' is not terribly affected.....

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi,

I think you will actually like 1st and 2nd gear better than before the mod, as both gears can now be wound out for a longer period of time. As far as replacing with OEM drive after trying the mod..... it should be no problem as long as you are truly elongating the holes and not drilling the holes out.

Best of Luck, Mike (maker of the MJ Drive Kit)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I hope so. I've done the mods to improve performance. ..pipes, Power Commander, air kit and timing retard eliminator which has really made a difference. I was concerned about loosing the acceleration I have gained with the other mods.

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
Thanks guys. I hope so. I've done the mods to improve performance. ..pipes, Power Commander, air kit and timing retard eliminator which has really made a difference. I was concerned about loosing the acceleration I have gained with the other mods.
If you notice it, I'll be VERY surprised....!!

·
Registered
21,666 Posts
Don't sweat it. Once you get use to the new drive, the only reason you'll put the stock back on is to sell a stock bike and resell the drive to another member.

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
Don't sweat it. Once you get use to the new drive, the only reason you'll put the stock back on is to sell a stock bike and resell the drive to another member.

And that's a 50/50 adjustment 50 feet or 50 seconds......:biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I removed my DJ drive from my 07 C50T with over 54,000miles and installed it on my newer, low miles, 08 C50T and started all over again.

I reinstalled the original drive into the elongated holes of the 07 and the new owner is very happy.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I removed my DJ drive from my 07 C50T with over 54,000miles and installed it on my newer, low miles, 08 C50T and started all over again.

I reinstalled the original drive into the elongated holes of the 07 and the new owner is very happy.
Same here no problems.

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
I have done many swap outs- Elongate the holes- Use a Carbide burr and die grinder- Does the job in seconds!.
Putting the old drive back is a snap as you do NOT modify the inside of the holes- just the outside- so the original drive just goes in the same spot. The Driveshaft is another issue. Once machined or ground (I grind mine THEN machine as the steel is just too darn hard (case hardened)) The driveshaft has to stay with the VS1400 drive. IF you used the only shaft you have then to go back to stock means you will have to source a replacement C50 or M50 shaft Or fabricate a shoulder for the modded shaft and have it welded (not practical)
Cheers
PS Mileage really doesn't affect these drives (vs1400 or VL1500) They are bullet proof! The only variable is the main seal and shaft seal (which gets changed each time you lube the shaft splines) MAKE SURE TO GET HONDA MOLY 60 PASTE FOR LUBING THE SPLINES

1 - 12 of 12 Posts