Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. New in here, greatings from Denmark.
Recently puchased a Volusia from 2002. 43000 miles. Sounds great, no ticking besides the "sewing machine" Sound ?
IT has been sittin for over a year, i drained the tank for old gas, cleaned the carb. Installed new plugs and oil/ filter, final gear oil etc.
It runs great in higher rpm's but if i drive in fifth gear, with low rpm's it starts too "fuel cut" it feels like. It Doesn't do it, when the choke is out, so i think it's fuel relatet. The old plugs where completly white, so it's running pretty learn.
What do you think? Does it just need more juice or could it be something else? ?

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Wonder if the kick stand switch is drooping?

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
How does it idle?
I'm going to guess you have a partially blocked jet being as you say it runs fine with the choke out.
A poorly running engine can appear fine at higher rpms.
Running lean is possibly another indication of not getting enough fuel.

I'd check the fuel filter, then inspect the jets.

·
Registered
19,601 Posts
Since the bike sat for more than a year, with fuel in it, you can bet your bottom dollar that you are having a fuel related issue. The fact that you can feel the power return when you pull out the enrichment circuit knob, confirms that suspicion.

When you said you "cleaned" the carb, did you physically remove it from the bike, disassemble it and sonically clean the jets and float, or did you just throw in some mechanic in a bottle and call it good. If you want your bike to run right, you need to go over EVERY INCH of every part of the fuel system. Pull the tank, inspect it for sludge and rust. Then pull the petcork and make sure that the fuel will flow freely via vacuum actuation, remove and replace all of the rubber hoses. Remove the carb, disassemble completely replacing the float, needle valve, spring, seat, pilot jet, main jet and diaphragm. Then once it is all back together, adjust your engine idle to ~1100 rpm. If it sounds like a Harley at idle, it is too low.

·
Registered
19,601 Posts
And when you take the carb apart, Suzuki used JIS #1 and #2 screws to assemble it. A standard SAE Phillips head screwdriver will only strip the screws and make a mess of things. Get the right tools, before you go tearing into it. You'll thank me later.

Reactions: Wayne Barron

·
Registered
43 Posts
a carb that has set with fuel in it can be trouble...the low speed jets and high speed jets work at different engine speeds...if you have to pull the chock to run at lower speed in 5th gear then the carb jet is dirty and not letting fuel pass to the engine...i suggest that you completely rebulid the carb with new jets and float and in a re-build kit...if you do not feel up to the task...take the carb off the bike and let a good shop do it for you...do not forget to use a new gasket when re-mounting the carb back on the engine

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for All the answers. I took the carbon off and cleaned it with normal carb cleaner. Cleaned both the pilot and the Main jet.. Nothing to see tough. It was the stock jets i had in. 132 Main and 27,5 pilot.
Have a silvertail 2-1 exaust on it. Got a 35# pilot and installed it, seems to be working great now ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts