Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've had a 3rd gen Honda Magna and a 2003 Volusia for quite some time... my brother and I have enjoyed many rides. But he always wants to ride the Volusia. Also, I have a bit of a discipline problem and find that I tend to ride juuuust a bit too fast on the Magna (it's deceptively powerful).

So I was thinking, if I was to sell that Honda and get another Suzuki, would it make more sense to get another Volusia or something slightly newer, like a C50?

No matter what, I can't get another 2003 as all the ones for sale in the Bay Area are the same colors as mine. Also don't want to spend over $4500.

So... if you could go out and pick a Suzuki with the 805 cc engine, what would it be?

Opinions?

*Someone's going to get a different Suzuki, whether I buy one or he buys one!

·
Registered
670 Posts
I like my Volusia. I had the cam chains and piston rings replaced, and it sounds like new and runs even better.
I am swayed more towards the carbureted bike over the fuel injected because it is so easy to work on and I don't have to spend $300+ for a programmer.

·
Registered
21,177 Posts
Get a Vulcan. More power, functional disc brake, belt drive that doesn't leak... Barring that, get the C50. I'd never ride another carbed bike again if you paid me.

·
Registered
96 Posts
C50's are cheaper than Vulcan 900s. My rear drum brake works, maybe yours is out of adjustment. That being said, a Vulcan does have some nice features, but here they cost 2k more for a similar bike. I wouldn't buy a carb'd bike either, had 2 and every spring they would be a pain to get running right without pulling the carbs and cleaning them.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I ride all year long, so I don't have that problem.

Reactions: Billy4858

·
Registered
898 Posts
I agree with "Lightwield" I can fix a carb but can't do a thing with injection. I bought a 2005 C50 new and C109R leftover in 2010 that I still have. If that injection light goes on it's a very helpless feeling. I bought a 2004 VL800LTD with 4500 miles on it Feb of 2013 for $2800. Wait till after Thanksgiving before you start looking. Now is not the time to buy.

·
Registered
194 Posts
C50 - Newer, probably less miles and for the better drivability of having FI. Even if it makes the bike harder to work on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great. Keep 'em coming!

I'm also looking at a 2005 M50 that just popped up for sale, which is weird because I just saw one on the road and thought that the purple is a pretty sweet color. Guy's asking $3100 though, with 19k miles... "babied" blah blah.

Probably worth waiting a little bit, although I don't know if I want to wait until November!

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts
Hi All,

I've had a 3rd gen Honda Magna and a 2003 Volusia for quite some time... my brother and I have enjoyed many rides. But he always wants to ride the Volusia. Also, I have a bit of a discipline problem and find that I tend to ride juuuust a bit too fast on the Magna (it's deceptively powerful).

So I was thinking, if I was to sell that Honda and get another Suzuki, would it make more sense to get another Volusia or something slightly newer, like a C50?

No matter what, I can't get another 2003 as all the ones for sale in the Bay Area are the same colors as mine. Also don't want to spend over $4500.

So... if you could go out and pick a Suzuki with the 805 cc engine, what would it be?

Opinions?

*Someone's going to get a different Suzuki, whether I buy one or he buys one!

I would buy the freshest ride. The best maintained, lowest mileage for the lowest price. Both fuel system are uppers and downers. I want a carbed bike because motorcycle carbs are a walk in the park to work on... fuel injection systems usually dont need work but modification requires, well, modification and if something goes wrong. Six one way, half dozen the other. get the best bike for the money... The newer bike will be FI, so I guess I'd find the newer bike for the low price.

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
I agree that Fuel injection is probibly harder to work on.. however the only thing I personally have ever heard about going is the fuel pump. Like my old carb'ed bikes Love my FI

·
Premium Member
28,465 Posts
Carb is easier to work on and hop up but FI is nice with no choke. I've had both and would not hesitate to go either way if I bought another bike.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I would go for the C50 Fuel Injection with the many advantages of Computer control.

Easier Starting, better MPG, I have found FI to be more reliable than Carbs on both cars and motorcycles. Although, my vintage Suzuki Samurai toy car has both has a computer and a Carb.

But with money as a major factor Carbed bikes are often quite a bit cheaper. And Carbs are easier for the none computer guy to work on but they do seem to need attention more often. But on the other hand, they don't have a little light to tell you they need some attention so most don't work on the carb until performance is definitely negatively effected. So with a carb its more likely you could be loosing a little performance to a carb problem and not even be aware. Although a Fuel Injector which may also not working good doesn't always set off the FI light.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I posted my comment before working on a bike.
Some may recall I was shipping my mother's old TS 250 from Florida here to Connecticut.
I just got it on Sunday and started working on it last night. I am trying to finish one aspect of it each day and maybe I'll get to ride it in two weeks time.
I had forgotten what a pain carburetors are.
I reaffirm my vote for fuel injection.

Once we thought the Earth was flat. Now we know better.
Once we thought the universe orbited the Earth. Now we know better.
Once we relied on horse drawn carriages. Now we know better.
Once we were dependent on carburetors...
The technology is there - embrace it!

Reactions: Keith30
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.