Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi from the Black Hills of South Dakota.

I gave up bikes about six years ago when my Husqvarna SM510R sold to a kid from Wyoming. Too old to ride fast; never learned to ride slow. Anyway, the dog (Gretta) likes wind in her face and I do too. Last Saturday we bought the rig, a 2001 Volusia Intruder 800 and Velorex 563 Tour hack with about 12k miles on the odo.

It looks like sidecars aren’t a huge topic here, but anyone who’s interested is invited to jump in. I’m new to sidecars and to cruisers, too, so advice, cautionary tales, questions about my whole 3-day experience...all welcome.

For now the rig has been moved to the back of the garage and the snowplow to the door. More snow coming...

-Don

·
Super Moderator
24,086 Posts
welcome to the family here...not much talk bout sidecars but there have been a few who have added one...had a fellow rider here a few years back who put one on his mc hoping to get his wife interested in riding w/him...turmed out she went a few times but never reaaly enjoyed riding as much as he did...he figured it was worth the shot. Enjoy the new toy and good to read you are riding again.

·
Registered
132 Posts

I gave up bikes about six years ago when my Husqvarna SM510R sold to a kid from Wyoming. Too old to ride fast; never learned to ride slow. Anyway, the dog (Gretta) likes wind in her face and I do too. Last Saturday we bought the rig, a 2001 Volusia Intruder 800 and Velorex 563 Tour hack with about 12k miles on the odo.

It looks like sidecars aren’t a huge topic here, but anyone who’s interested is invited to jump in. I’m new to sidecars and to cruisers, too, so advice, cautionary tales, questions about my whole 3-day experience...all welcome.

For now the rig has been moved to the back of the garage and the snowplow to the door. More snow coming...

-Don
Very nice, Don.

Myself, I just picked up a 2009 Boulevard C50 VL800, for 1600. Put new tires on, new oil and filter, sissy bar and it's currently at the "vet" getting it's "throat" checked out. Starts fine, idles good for awhile, then spits and sputters. My thoughts, crud in the tank clogging the fuel filter. I thought I'd let the expert fix it. He's a great guy, R&B Motorsports in Lexington Park, Maryland. It has FI and computer, digital readout gauges, so I didn't want to fool with it and possibly screw things up.

I used to have a 1978 GL1000 Gold Wing (belong to the GWRRA... Gold Wing Road Riders Assn.). Haven't ridden for about 25 years, so didn't want to take a chance with it not running right. I'll be 79 next month, so I want to do some "practice" before I get out there with "the nuts behind the steering wheels", and there are plenty of THEM around here, especially since the schools cancelled all Driver Training courses.

I may wind up getting a Trike Kit if I can find one at a reasonable price, guess ya'd call 'em "trainin' wheels". LMAO I never liked sidecars, don't like the way they handle.

You'll find most of the guys and dolls on here are good and most of helpful, but beware of sour apples and sour grapes among us. A couple clowns not worth mentioning, but overall, good people.

No snow here and we didn't get a lot this year, just cold as penguin sh*t for awhile. 67° right now and I'm starting to "get the fever". Hope to get back out soon.

Welcome... and as we used to say, "keep the shiny side up".

L8r

Bob

P.S: Almost forgot a pic...

·
Super Moderator
30,910 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

I've never seen a C50 with a sidecar. Looks good. Congrats on the new ride!

·
Registered
20,762 Posts
Riding with a hack is a completely different experience. You have to put in a significant amount of effort to steer the bike, since it will no longer lean and turn gyroscopically. Additionally, the handlebars will have a tendency to wobble because of the hack's toe-in adjustment, and bike lean-out adjustment. This is required to facilitate turns and the wobble cannot be eliminated but it can be minimized with the installation of a steering damper. The biggest change from riding on 2 wheels is cornering. Any abrupt turn TOWARDS the hack can cause the wheel to lift off the ground. Normally, it is nothing to worry about, just back off the throttle and it will settle down. But if you panic and hit the brakes, it will likely end badly, especially with the mechanical drum brake on the VL800 and its tendency to lock. I can't see if your hack has brakes on the outside wheel, but if it does not, you REALLY need to plan your stops and practice hard braking. The VL800 brakes are marginal at best and adding the mass of a hack can easily overwhelm what stopping force there is.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Riding with a hack is a completely different experience. You have to put in a significant amount of effort to steer the bike, since it will no longer lean and turn gyroscopically. Additionally, the handlebars will have a tendency to wobble because of the hack's toe-in adjustment, and bike lean-out adjustment. This is required to facilitate turns and the wobble cannot be eliminated but it can be minimized with the installation of a steering damper. The biggest change from riding on 2 wheels is cornering. Any abrupt turn TOWARDS the hack can cause the wheel to lift off the ground. Normally, it is nothing to worry about, just back off the throttle and it will settle down. But if you panic and hit the brakes, it will likely end badly, especially with the mechanical drum brake on the VL800 and its tendency to lock. I can't see if your hack has brakes on the outside wheel, but if it does not, you REALLY need to plan your stops and practice hard braking. The VL800 brakes are marginal at best and adding the mass of a hack can easily overwhelm what stopping force there is.
Exactly. It's why I would opt for the trike kit. I'll be 79 next month and I don't need 800# of Suzuki wrapped around my neck.

He may want to practice using the front brake a bit more, because the back one will skid, if not enough pressure applied to the front. Might wanna check on some heavy duty shoes and pads, too... Ya think?

·
Registered
20,762 Posts
There's not much you can do to fix the anemic brake performance for these bikes. A braided front brake cable and sintered pads will add more bite and a bit more braking force and a pair of sintered brake shoes for the rear drum will help, but the extra bite will also cause the wheels to lock up using less pressure than stock pads/shoes. A lock-up on two wheels can sometimes be recovered. A single wheel lockup with a hack usually ends up with a bad crash. The bike will fishtail violently and it will flip.

·
Registered
132 Posts
There's not much you can do to fix the anemic brake performance for these bikes. A braided front brake cable and sintered pads will add more bite and a bit more braking force and a pair of sintered brake shoes for the rear drum will help, but the extra bite will also cause the wheels to lock up using less pressure than stock pads/shoes. A lock-up on two wheels can sometimes be recovered. A single wheel lockup with a hack usually ends up with a bad crash. The bike will fishtail violently and it will flip.
Yep, that's a reason to stay away from the loose nuts behind the steering wheels and why I don't "cowboy" like I used to. No sidecar here, that crap was for WW II and the krauts and for DC cops. It does make parking easier, though, don't need the kickstand. LOL

·
Registered
1 Posts

-Don

Love to put a sidecar on my 2002 VL800. What did you have to do to get it to bolt on? Buy a kit or fabricate your own parts?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts