Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so I thought I would do a seprate post on this mod...I see a few looking for fenders here and there this might save a bit of looking,,,
I decided to change it up a bit and start looking for ways to ad a indian fender, my 1st thought was to ad skirts to the stock fender,,,,but the painter was nuts,,,,he wanted $500. BEFOR PAINT,
so I started to search the net, and found this site,
OLDY'S CUSTOM COMPOSITE CYCLE TANKS, FENDERS, SADDLE BAGS, TOUR PACKS
great place to deal with,,,,Gary is the owner.
I called him, he said he had not done one for the vl800 or c50
so we decided that it would work best if I sent my fender in,
great idea because he makes a fender for the kwi. drifter
and this ended up beeing the same fit , the cut out for the break was on the left,
so he has moulded one witout the cut out,,,,
its on its way now shoud arrive in a week...
the price was vary fare $279 USD SHIPPED TO CANADA, $210 for the fender and $69 to ship my old and the new fender back,,,

and here is how I painted forkes.....pics look dark but light was there, anyway
I wet sanded with 1000 grit, cleaned , two coats of black primer, then 5 coats of black paint and 5 coats of clear, done by spry bombs worked nice...
the paint called for 15min between coats, so I was able to finish it over a lot of beers,,,,, and a late night,,,

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Lookin real nice Bagger V. Thats a pretty darn fair price for basically a one off fender, maybe he'll start marketing them now. Update when you get the fender on!

·
Registered
431 Posts
I was just thinking about this yesterday... There's gotta be someone out there with the Indian look on the Volusia... can't wait to see what it looks like

·
Registered
242 Posts
hey Bagger Volusia, what brand/type of spray paint did you use for this job? did you sand to rough up the forks for better adhesion? and if I were to repaint my own bike; tank, fenders, side panels; would I be able to use this same method? any advice would be appreciated. trying to save a dime on a color change.

...two coats of black primer, then 5 coats of black paint and 5 coats of clear, done by spry bombs worked nice...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
hey Bagger Volusia, what brand/type of spray paint did you use for this job? did you sand to rough up the forks for better adhesion? and if I were to repaint my own bike; tank, fenders, side panels; would I be able to use this same method? any advice would be appreciated. trying to save a dime on a color change.

...two coats of black primer, then 5 coats of black paint and 5 coats of clear, done by spry bombs worked nice...
I only painted the forks, I used dupli colour
And wet sanded with 1000 grit
I'm getting a painter to do the rest ,,
Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,412 Posts
I was just thinking about this yesterday... There's gotta be someone out there with the Indian look on the Volusia... can't wait to see what it looks like
A guy from up around WI (CzarOfKatmandu) had done this several years ago. I think they look sweet!!

·
Registered
431 Posts
looks good, but I would want the rear fender on it as well... if it wasn't for how weird the seat looks on the kawasaki drifter, I would've bought it... but I really hate how it floats over the rear fender

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
looks good, but I would want the rear fender on it as well... if it wasn't for how weird the seat looks on the kawasaki drifter, I would've bought it... but I really hate how it floats over the rear fender
I was thinking about the back,, but the saddlebags would hide it anyway. And I like the look of the rear stock fender ,,, her ass is fine !! :moon:

·
Registered
431 Posts
I was thinking about the back,, but the saddlebags would hide it anyway. And I like the look of the rear stock fender ,,, her ass is fine !! :moon:

hahaha I take it you're an ass man!!! hahahaha I don't hate the rear fender on the c50. Actually the only thing I hate about the front fender is how it droops down on the front. I like the c90 front fender, it's a little more straight...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I must say that I myself am waiting on two fenders, front and back from oldys and those guys there Gary and Jim are awesome. I got two fenders and made to custom width with a frenched in plate all shipped for $345.00. You can't beat their prices.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

You also want to take your time, it's not going to cover in on coat, do lots of light coats to prevent runs and orange peel,
The clear only wanted 10 min between coats.
Same thing tho light coats.
It's not hard.
But I still prefer to have a paint shop do the rest, nicer paint. Forks no big deal if I have to do them a second time,,,,

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
I must warn you, that paint will not last too long. Metal/aluminum parts that are exposed to road debris need to be powder coated to prevent road chipping. Take really good care of it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I must warn you, that paint will not last too long. Metal/aluminum parts that are exposed to road debris need to be powder coated to prevent road chipping. Take really good care of it.
They'll be fine , if I have to wet sand and clear mid summer, it's No big deal

·
Registered
275 Posts
Len
That fender looks great.
Nice job.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts