Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So the new head came in today - Got the engine pulled, did a compression test to verify (before pulling the engine), and the rear cylinder read 0 psi. ("Hey Scott...I think I found the problem!!") Swapped the head over while one of our customers (who has zero knowledge of engine internals, and was fascinated) helped out and/or watched. Got the engine back in, half assembled it, hooked up a gas IV bottle, and fired her up. She runs better when BOTH cylinders are lighting up...Hahahaaaaa.

Technicians Tip #1 - Have someone gently turn the engine over (while in gear) via the bolt head on the rotor, while you line up the driveshaft. We frigged with it for about half an hour before I thought "Hey, let's rotate the engine in gear just a bit to get the splines to line up"....after about 1/64th of a turn, the u-joint basically jumped right onto the trans output shaft...Lol.

Technicians Thanks #2 - To whoever recommended using a ziptie to hold the tensioner in place while dropping the head on was GENIUS!! I can't seem to find the thread where this was mentioned, and it took a couple tries to figure out what he was talking about, but we got it.

Also, since we have a big 2-day show tomorrow/Saturday to attend, I didn't take the time to get a video of it running...but, rest assured, she runs, and runs well. No tweaking required. Since stroke, bore, valve size, lift and duration stayed the same, it was pretty much a direct swap with no necessary tuning, aside from swapping on the old heads, rotor and water pump cover.

After we get back from the show Saturday night, well, more like Sunday morning, I'll go over to storage and get a vid of her running. I'll snag the plates off another 'Zuki I have and take 'er for a rip up and down the road for a bit too. Just don't gimme too much crap about the exhaust...the previous owner thought it would be beneficial to drill out and gut part of the baffles...I'll be snagging a good used set of stockers shortly...right now, my plate overfloweth...Lol

Total cost of the build so far (not including labor, just parts and cost of bike) - $615. $100 for the bike, $400 for the C50 motor, $35 for the new head, and $80ish for oil, filter, coolant, gaskets, etc. Total ghetto build, even reusing the head gaskets, but coating them with old school copper head gasket cement. I did replace the clutch cover/stator cover gaskets tho...those were cheap..around $20 total.

Have a great weekend, guys!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ok, so I FINALLY got a few free minutes to get a short vid of it running. I did idle her down a bit after I shot this...she's running on choke. One last thing to do to wrap this up...a rear tire. I'll be riding this on the "4 Corners of Maine" benefit ride for Maine Veterans Project in a couple weeks, and also a ride to benefit Domestic Violence. Well, not really to "benefit" Domestic violence...but you get the point...right? :biglaugh:

Info for either of these two are below, in case anyone from this area wants to jump in. Hell, even if you're not from the area, would be a nice ride. Just a heads up, the "4 Points Ride" and the bike show are two different events. The ride is for 3 of us only, as we're going to ride the entire State of Maine in under 24 hours, raising money. The cause, however, is one in the same.... :grin2:

Video of the C50 transplant running:


https://1drv.ms/v/s!ApQceqlb6IkTg6FSMU2Gs_BB66Ef-w




 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Very well done! Thanks for posting the info and the vid. Best wishes for you on the ride, it's a long way from here to there.. so sadly I can't make it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks...Since we work on a lot of bikes daily, I'll try to put together some tutorials and tips/tricks for some of the basic maintenance items to help out folks here. I'm fortunate (yea, my brother-in-law uses the term fortunate..he's lazy, and thinks everyone who works is "lucky"..Lol) enough to have a full-on bike shop, so I get the pleasure to perform everything from basic maintenance to all out wild chopped builds.

I'll be putting in a jet kit in the next couple of weeks...when I do, I'll try to remember to take pics and do a write-up to help out others.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Ok, just found the multiple threads about transplanting a newer motor into an older frame. With these K1-K4 motors being "rare" up here in the Great Wild North, we're gonna attempt to do the swap, using some of the old components from the blown motor (heads,ignition, rotor, stator, etc). The jugs and heads are the same height, so maybe with a little "persuasion", I can come up with a write-up on how to make this happen for the handy wrencher using parts from his original motor, and keep costs down. I've got 3 weeks to make this happen, and a full workload at the shop right now....The wife and kid are away in Florida for the next week, so my only obligations are the 4-legged kids.

I'll post pics and descriptions if we get this moving along.

Like someone else here said, with enough money (I say motivation) anything is possible....LololoL


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I can use this info if it worked in currently in a build of a volusia bobber
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,746 Posts
Yes, but you need to move EVERYTHING from the old motor over to the new motor. You cannot take any shortcuts and make a C50 run on a carb, or make a Volusia fuel injected.
 
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Top