Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Intruder VL1500 - 2007 Burgman 650 - 1993 Honda Helix
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks! Regarding my 2000 VL1500..... I have a concern with the clutch. I've noticed more recently that I'm having to let way out on the clutch handle before the clutch engages. As a test I will have the bike under load and lightly start pulling the clutch handle inward. There's VERY LITTLE handle travel before the clutch disengages. The system is hydraulic so I'm wondering if there's any sort of adjustment that needs to be addressed at the clutch basket assembly. Or is it time to replace springs and/or friction plates?
FOOT NOTE: Both master cylinder and slave are in proper working order.

·
Registered
21,402 Posts
No, there is no adjustment. If you are at the end of the lever before it fully engaged, you need to consider a rebuild.

·
Registered
2000 Intruder VL1500 - 2007 Burgman 650 - 1993 Honda Helix
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, there is no adjustment. If you are at the end of the lever before it fully engaged, you need to consider a rebuild.
Yeah.... That's kind of what I was thinking/afraid of. Wondering if I can get away with replacing just the friction plates and reuse the original steel plates.

·
Registered
21,402 Posts
That all depends on the condition of the plates when you pull the clutch off the bike. If they are scored or if they are burnt from the clutch lining slipping, you will have no choice but replace them.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I thought that those inherently have a nearly all the way out release. A buddy had a 2007 C90 and it was like that. Sure did not appreciate that. He offered to sell me the bike when I was contemplating moving up from the C50. I'm pretty sure I would have got creative with a dremel to at least bring the lever closer to the bar than the adjustment dial allowed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts