Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have this issue with Viking Bags? I've had them a little over a year, bike has always been garage kept. Over the last few months I've noticed the ends of the bags are curling up. At first it was just a little and I could press it back down, but now the velcro won't hold them in place anymore. The stitching and everything looks intact, the best I can tell is the leather is drying out or warping. I called Viking to see if they could recommend a leather oil/conditioner that might help to soften them up and get them back into shape but they advised me not to use any chemicals on the bags. I asked if they had heard of this before and they said no, but a quick google search says otherwise. I found several forums discussing this same issue with little to no assistance from Viking. I live in FL so the heat & humidity in my garage could be a factor but I'm not a scientist.

Anyone experience this or know of a fix?

Thanks

-CG

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have the same ones and they are curling in the same spots. Not happy about that. I haven’t contacted the company yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
That's annoying. I wonder if that stitching thread is shrinking, pulling the ends up?
.................. Just showed my wife this, and she suggested taking the bags to the local leather/shoe shop and ask them to re stitch it with shrink proof, or flexible thread, or at least
with looser tension. (the three lines of stitching at the ends).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's annoying. I wonder if that stitching thread is shrinking, pulling the ends up?
.................. Just showed my wife this, and she suggested taking the bags to the local leather/shoe shop and ask them to re stitch it with shrink proof, or flexible thread, or at least
with looser tension. (the three lines of stitching at the ends).
Thanks to you and Ms. Inky for the input. I've been reading about this issue a bit, and some folks have had success using a leather conditioner and a strap to reshape the bags, kind of like what you would do with a baseball mitt. I'm going to give that a shot, a bottle of leather conditioner would only cost a few bucks. If that doesn't work I'll look into the leather shop and see what they can do and how much $$ it may cost. I got the bags on sale for around $150 so I'm not looking to spend any real amount of money on them if I can avoid it.

Second - I'm also questioning the support team at Viking Bags. I specifically asked them about an oil or conditioner and they told me not to use any chemicals on the bags. But, they have a page on their site (care and maintenance) where they suggest using leather conditioner and shampoo. So either they have bad info on their site or the gentleman I spoke too on the phone was not very knowledgeable. Either way, I don't think I'll be buying anything else from Viking moving forward. There's plenty of other options.

-CG

·
Super Moderator
9,010 Posts
Second - I'm also questioning the support team at Viking Bags. I specifically asked them about an oil or conditioner and they told me not to use any chemicals on the bags. But, they have a page on their site (care and maintenance) where they suggest using leather conditioner and shampoo. So either they have bad info on their site or the gentleman I spoke too on the phone was not very knowledgeable. Either way, I don't think I'll be buying anything else from Viking moving forward. There's plenty of other options.

-CG
Support has been Viking Bags' weak point for a very long time.

If you buy an item from them, and it arrives in good condition, and you are satisfied with it, it's all good -- considering Viking's prices.

If the item arrives damaged, or you are not satisfied, and you try to get Viking to rectify the situation -- good luck.

Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
8,389 Posts
I have HD leather covered hard bags (on my Sporty) and they do the same thing. I use a product called Neatsfoot oil (a special leather oil) and it makes the bags curl less, especially when just used. I treat the bags (and my gun leather) yearly. It's not cheap and it isn't easily found. Google and you should find it.....

Reactions: Woodswoman

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello again!

Just wanted to post my progress here. I gave each bag a light coat of conditioner and worked it in. After that I put a strap around each bag and tightened it just enough to hold the bag in shape. I let it sit for a couple of days and took off the straps. So far it's been 2 days and the bags are holding up just fine, they are keeping their shape. I'm expecting a lot of rain this week so I just might condition and strap them again since I probably won't be riding for the next few days. I used the Griots 3-in-1 leather cleaner and conditioner from the auto parts store. Cost me 10 bucks for the bottle and another 3 bucks for the applicator pad.

Bags look much better than they did last week!

Thanks,
-CG

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts