Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
or... Put a modified drive on it. Take the drive unit from the C90, VL1400 and modify the drive shaft to adapt to the bike. Reduce the rpms, reduce the vibration.

rv

Reactions: kcm66

·
Registered
21,416 Posts
The modified drive doesn't eliminate the vibrations. It just delays the point where they start creeping in and making the ride uncomfortable. Nothing will eliminate the vibrations. Sorry.

Reactions: kcm66

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Seriously, it is the harmonics from this type of motor, the only real way to get rid of it is to get rid of the bike. I couldn't stand it any longer and sold mine and upgraded to a VL1500 and will not look back. So much better is so many ways. Smooth, even at 95 MPH. This bike is barely idling at 70. I love it, and the engines are bulletproof and go for 200K miles. Get rid of the failure prone VL800 and upgrade to a better bike.
The VL800 is a good bike for what it is, a cheap/ starter bike. Nothing else.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Seriously, it is the harmonics from this type of motor, the only real way to get rid of it is to get rid of the bike. I couldn't stand it any longer and sold mine and upgraded to a VL1500 and will not look back. So much better is so many ways. Smooth, even at 95 MPH. This bike is barely idling at 70. I love it, and the engines are bulletproof and go for 200K miles. Get rid of the failure prone VL800 and upgrade to a better bike.
The VL800 is a good bike for what it is, a cheap/ starter bike. Nothing else.
That cheap starter bike of mine has 68k miles and going strong. Sure, a 1500 is smoother and has less vibration than a bike 1/2 it's engine size... But for the money and size, it's a winner all day.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I would bet I have less money in my 1500 than you have in your 800.
Answer me this, how many engine problems have you seen on this forum? Way too many. It NEVER happens on the VL1500 forum.
I get it. Im responding to the OP as an current owner of a Boulevard. Apples to apples, not oranges. IDK about anyone's else's engines so I will only remark about mine. I spent $4500 for a bike 4-1/2 years ago that had every accessory possible expect the DJ mod. After that addition, I've put 55k miles and coast to coast.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Anybody have any idears on how to cut down the engine and drive train vibration on 03 vl800 when riding highway or do i just have to live with it?

I have found Royal Purple Gear Oil has quieted my transfer case and tranny in my Suzuki Samurai gear noise is something Samurai are known for. I read were owners of the Early Corvettes easily recognized by their distinctive tranny whine no longer made the whine after replacing the gear oil with Royal Purple. I suspect noise and vibration are often linked with smoothness and lack of noise hand in hand.

I haven't had your problem with vibration but if I did I would definitely try Royal Purple Synthetic before I gave up. I use royal purple in my C50 rear drive and Mobile 1 in the engine. Don't have your problem but I suspect Royal Purple might help. If you try it please post your results I would be interested in your results.

I've also read the carbs on the Volusia need to be balanced for smooth running having the C50 with FI I can't speak from personal knowledge about balancing/synchronizing the carbs.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I loved my Vol, and never did the DJ drive mod. Of course, I prefer country twisties to the superslab so it makes a difference. If you have a stock seat you might want to consider something else. I found that a nice gel seat pad/airhawk cushion will give a bit of a smoother ride. Some folks swear by the Mustang seat or any of the other afternarket seat. If you can't afford aftermarket items, do a search for The Homeboy Mod. It also makes the seat more comfortable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.