Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like a kid in a candy store! Yesterday, in lieu of sleep (too excited), I installed (as in solo, by myself, alone) my HK 2.5" American Straights pipes, the Thunder Mfg air intake and the DynoJet PC. I will post pix in my gallery.

This week has been heaven: first the Aeromach 4" riser pullbacks and the Kuryakyn ISO grips w/ throttle boss. And now the pipes, PC and air intake.

The pipes are pretty loud, but no where near as loud as the Big Shot 3's that my friends have on their Harley's at work. Their performance is tremendous! I took a quick ride to a buddy's house a couple blocks from mine after after finishing all the installs. Upon leaving, he said (in a phone call shortly after I departed) that they sound "really nice; not TOO overpowering; just real healthy and strong". I was glad to hear that because I did not want pipes as loud as the Big Shot 3's.

I showed-off a little as I left his driveway and got on the throttle a bit. The darn bike almost jumped right out of my hands! No bull. He said on the phone that he saw me come to about a foot of the side of the road after I jumped on it. Now that's the kind of power I've been looking for all along! Yeah baby, yeah..... :shock:

The PC wasn't too tough to install either. The instructions come with diagrams that have arrows on them to show you exactly where to look for the right plugs and each pictures' instruction tells you precisely where to look on the bike. Plus, you can see by the pic and figure out where you should be looking in each step.

The download for the PC itself took all of about 1 minute. It couldn't be any easier. The installation of the PC is a 14-step process that includes tear down, to installation of the PC, to buttoning it all up. Really nicely done by DynoJet.

The air intake was a bit less helpful. Some of the terminology I just didn't know, but I was able to figure it all out simply by the process of elimination. My one major hiccup was using their supplied red cap to cap-off the stock vacuum line. I didn't want to leave the cloth-braided line just there b/t the "V" with a big red plastic cap for all to see (look ugly) and I didn't have any of those rubber "condom" looking things to cover the vac phlange with. So, I ended up using the rubber "condom" cover from the underside of the stock air filter! What luck, eh?

Back to the pipes for a "good, bad and ugly" breakdown:

THE GOOD:
1. HK instructions: adequate, even for a newbie rider like me who has NEVER before dismantled a m/c in any way/shape/form;

2. The looks: AWESOME! but that's a matter of personal preference as we all know and respect;

THE BAD:

1. the mounting bracket is from hell. No other way to put it. I even called HK because I was literally at my wits end. The tech at HK described it as "its a little tricky". Understatement of the Year candidate.
There is a "channel" welded to the back side of the pipes that you have to slide a strip of thin metal into. The strip has two nuts welded to it. They supply you with 4 nut/lock washer/flat washer sets: two for each pipe. The bolts are supposed to go from the inside of the mounting bracket, thru the bracket, thru the "channel" on the back of the pipes... and all this while you're balancing the strip insides the channel and are somehow supposed to line up the holes AND get enough support to even BEGIN to thread the bolt into the welded-on nut. I finally got them threaded, but had to lose the flat washer. No way it was going to reach and thread; the bolts just weren't long enough.

THE UGLY:

1. Did I neglect to mention that I was doing all this ALONE???? So not only am I unable to see thru the hole to line-up the mounting bolts to the pipes, I am having to balance the pipes to avoid scratching them at the same time. My advice here: get a friend (or two) to help. The instructions tell you not to tighten any of the bolts all the way down. And this is typical, good advice. However, it also creates one more "balancing act" factor into this nightmare of an installation!

Conclusion:
It was worth it. No quesiton about it. The bike went back together perfectly (ok, a little trouble lining the tank back up the first few tries); all the wires are connected correctly thanks to DynoJet's great instructions; and the air intake sucks BIG air! I can hear the darn thing hissing at idle because it's sucking so much air!

The beast has been unleashed!!! :twisted: And, I truly think the motor is so much happier being opened up a bit and allowed to breathe better.

If anyone has install questions about any/all facets of the above, PM me offline if it's real involved stuff. Otherwise, please let me know what you think of the pix (see gallery)

Best,
Daryl

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Wow... you have bigger ones than I do to tackle all that on your own.
Good work and I'm glad you're happy with the results.

·
Registered
17,083 Posts
Way to go bro!!! I've been waiting for this!! I hope you have pics soon!!! I want to know if you think the Thunder kit makes the biggest difference?

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
basshole said:
Way to go bro!!! I've been waiting for this!! I hope you have pics soon!!! I want to know if you think the Thunder kit makes the biggest difference?
Pix are in my gallery! Hard to tell which upgrade does what, but the overall increase in performance is VERY noticeable. The intake sure sucks a ton of air; I can hear it at idle. And the pipes are nice and throaty at idle.... and then you give it a lil' gas and, "WHAM" :shock:

Daryl

·
Registered
17,083 Posts
Very Sweet Daryl. Now you make ME wanna get a Thunder kit!! :roll:

DS06C50T said:
basshole said:
Pix are in my gallery! Hard to tell which upgrade does what, but the overall increase in performance is VERY noticeable. The intake sure sucks a ton of air; I can hear it at idle. And the pipes are nice and throaty at idle.... and then you give it a lil' gas and, "WHAM" :shock:

Daryl

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
basshole said:

Bass,

Definitely get it! It sucks BIG air. The whole sha-bang ran about $275, but it was well worth it. Nevermind the handful of people who say they'll just drill holes, etc and al that b.s. This system replaces the 5/8" rubber tube with a 4" wide gullet of a mouth that is the same width as the intake duct that connects to the top of the stock air filter. Well worth the money, IMHO. Admittedly I was skeptical, but I went for it and I'm VERY glad I did. The system is easy to install and I think the vertical teardrop style looks good in front of the V-Twins.

"Just do it"....

Daryl :applause:

·
Super Moderator
4,276 Posts
Sweet

Daryl, great write up and its sounds great, thanks for replying the PM earlier. I will get back with you on that and hope it goes well, thanks again-Doug

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
OK, that does it. I'm convinced. I'm going to go for it. Where you guys getting the best prices for the Power Commander and air filter set up?
I think I want to get the Hurricane air filter so do I go directly to Thunder Manufacturing for that? And the Power Commander, are you getting that directly from Dynojet? Also, is there a good reference source to go to if I get into the middle of this and can't figure it out?

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Surfcity said:
OK, that does it. I'm convinced. I'm going to go for it. Where you guys getting the best prices for the Power Commander and air filter set up?
I think I want to get the Hurricane air filter so do I go directly to Thunder Manufacturing for that? And the Power Commander, are you getting that directly from Dynojet? Also, is there a good reference source to go to if I get into the middle of this and can't figure it out?
Surfcity,

I got my Thunder air kit directly from them. www.thundermfg.com
The whole sha-bang ran about $275 for adaptor ($95), air intake and emblem (~$25), with shpg.

The DynoJet Power Commander I got from Eric @ xtreme: 1-866-392-4531, for $270. He can not pre-map it for you, but it's simple on your desktop or laptop.

Installing the PC isn't bad at all. The directions are GREAT, complete with pix that have arrows to show you exactly where to look and what modules to plug/unplug. The whole deal, from tear-down to install to buttoning it all back up took me ~2 hours, working solo and VERY limited m/c knowledge.

If you think you're going to need help while doing either install, PM or E me and I'll give you my phone #. I'll park myself at my bike while you're at yours and walk you thru it. No prob...

Best,
Daryl

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Hey Daryl, thanks for the information and offer of support. I may take you up on it. My brother out in California just installed a PC on his Yamaha Warrior so he might be able to help me out. I'll take it one step at a time and see what happens. Maybe I should have a fire extinguisher available once I try it out? But this really sounds like something that needs to be done. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks-

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
DS06C50T said:
basshole said:

Bass,

Definitely get it! It sucks BIG air. The whole sha-bang ran about $275, but it was well worth it. Nevermind the handful of people who say they'll just drill holes, etc and al that b.s. This system replaces the 5/8" rubber tube with a 4" wide gullet of a mouth that is the same width as the intake duct that connects to the top of the stock air filter. Well worth the money, IMHO. Admittedly I was skeptical, but I went for it and I'm VERY glad I did. The system is easy to install and
I think the vertical teardrop style looks good in front of the V-Twins.
"Just do it"....

Daryl :applause:
Daryl, can the vertical teardrop be mounted to "point" to the rear, in effect making it a horizontal teardrop? I'm thinking that may be a neat look also.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 16 of 16 Posts