Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, I've been looking at bat wing fairings by these guys for awhile now and I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one.. has anyone heard of them, or have any input on the subject at all?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I had a memphis shades on my 2009 C50. Big windshields and fairings can cause buffeting problems you need to be aware of. The OEM windshield creates buffeting. Suzuki didn't design it with buffeting to be much of a concern. You might have to make or buy a set of lowers to help with buffeting. You can buy windshields for Bat wings that have a reverse curve at the top which can help with buffeting. Often people like the look of a Batwing with a small windshield on it. You can use a shorter shield with a re-curve top that might be as effective as a taller straight shield.

I looked at the site and they tease with a simulated vent in the front. The vent would be a good thing to have if it was available. The fairing also requires you to have the stock OEM windshield bracket.. If you already have the stock windshield then the Vector is bolt on easy. The OEM windshield bracket mounts the signal lights. I'm presuming that you wouldn't have any signal interference with the Bat wing. The Memphis shades have their own bracket system for mounting. A C50 or Volusia that doesn't have a stock windshield has a painted metal bracket that mounts the signal lights under the headlight. A plastic chrome cover conceals it. The OEM windshield mount has the signal mounting bracket as part of that assembly. The same plastic chrome cover is used to cover the signal mount up and hide the wires.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great info. I really appreciate it.. I didnt realize that about the windshield bracket, and I dont have a windshield on my bike, so I'm glad to know I'll have to be getting that .. sure woulda been a disappointment when the fairing showed up and I was ready to throw it on.. I looked on Memphis's site and I didnt see any similar fairings for my year.. have you heard any other places offering them?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Memphis shades has brackets to mount their shields and batwings. I don't believe there is a difference from the first Volusia to the latest 2019 C50. The brackets mount either as a quick release or solid mount. I think you can also choose between black or aluminum for the brackets. Their system is you buy brackets for your bike and then you buy a shield or fairing. If you get the quick release you could change between a batwing or standard shield, no shield in seconds. The batwing is model specific and the shields are universal. When I sold my C50 I made my own brackets to mount the batwing to my Yamaha Roadstar 1700. The batwing wouldn't have been the same if ordered for the Roadstar but I was able to make it work because I made my own brackets.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
New model C90 is good to know. You didn't include your bike in the post so I assumed you had a C50! I don't believe there are a lot of accessories available for the New C90. If you had the previous generation, you would have lots of stuff available to you. One can make just about anything work for their bike if they are willing to make custom parts to adapt.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Consider editing your profile info to include your location and your signature line to show your bike year and model.
Easy to do and it lets folks know where and what you ride. Nearby members might get together to ride or socialize. I wouldn't think including the info to be a privacy thing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so just an update- I did order the fairing from vector. i was able to install it in an afternoon with a little tweaking. I had to fabricate upper mounts as I didnt have a windshield already on the bike. it wasnt hard (and they arent pretty, but hidden so who cares lol) I just used some flat stock aluminum bars, drilled holes and cut the the size I needed.
I'm not certain about where I ran the wiring. I have it passing by the radiator hoses under the tank and I'm not sure theyll be ok with the heat from them, but I plan on painting my tank soon, so when I remove it to do that, I'll see if theres a better route.. all in all, I'm happy with it and would reccomend them to anyone else looking

·
Registered
19,612 Posts
A word of caution on the aluminum flat stock. It does not have a lot of tensile strength and it bends very easily when stressed. The vibration of the motorcycle coupled with the wind pressure of the fairing will put a pretty substantial load on the mount. Be careful and make sure you check them often for fatigue and cracking.

·
Registered
20,422 Posts
When the tanks off, consider running the wires thru some kind of isolation. Some have used auto wiring loom. I ran my stereo wires thru a piece of 1/4" clear fuel line and wire tied it to the frame to keep it from rubbing and shorting out.
Any wires you run under the tank should be isolated.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I run one. Towblazer/vector/usatrailerstore.. all the same company. Good quality stuff. I build bikes, and have used them on several builds. This topic pops up at least once a week on facebook in the various bully pages

1 - 13 of 13 Posts