Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anybody out there who knows where I can hear a Vance & Hines Straight Shots Audio Clip??? I have heard the Cobra Drag pipes and the HK3 Big Straights Audio Clips but I have been leaning towards the VH Straight Shots quite some time. I have been so close to getting a set on order but I just need to hear what they sound like. From what I've been reading there are a lot of happy VH Straight Shots Owners. I'd appreciate greatly if you kind VOL Riders could help me out. Thank You!

·
Registered
14,626 Posts
I think someone has clips on their website - just can't remember who. :?

Cricket

·
Premium Member
14,389 Posts
It was www.VolusiaGateway.us under the document vault, but I dont' think the Straight Shots are there

·
Registered
173 Posts
You can hear my straightshots in this video, but the audio is pretty severely clipped except at idle, so it is not likely to be terribly helpful.

The problem with any recordings of pipes used to make comparisons is that, aside from obvious screw-ups like my having the levels set to hot on the camera, the character of the sound is going to be significantly changed by both the specifications of the mic it was recorded on and the speakers you play it back on, not to mention issues introduced by the digital audio format and amount of compression. It's best not to put too much stock into any of them.

lyd

·
Premium Member
14,389 Posts
L Y D !!!!! Haven't seen you around much....... Good seeing you back here...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you to Cricket and V0lusia for the link to Volusia Gateway. I did find the videos and Audio Clips useful there because I now have a full understanding on how to debaffle my stock pipes if I choose to go that route. There is a great video there for anybody that is unsure on how to debaffle. There are also some Audio Clips for the Cobra Drags and HK3 Straights. They were helpful to compare sounds. I appreciate both your help.

I like to give lyd anynom some props because your ride along was pretty sweet. The straight shots sounded awesome and very aggressive. I understand you said the sound was hot on the recording. Could you tell me in your opinion if these pipes are too loud. Don't get me wrong I want some thunder just not too much. I usually have a passenger so I'm concerned for her hearing. Thanks again for the Video.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The straightshots are pretty damned loud, Cory. Definitely on the extreme end of the scale of all the after-market pipes available. If you have ever heard *any* pipes on a Vol that you thought were too loud, then you don't want these.

That de-baffling video on the volusiagateway site is also mine, by the way, currently being reproduced there without permission.

lyd

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Not a problem, didn't mean to offend. Just trying to help out the folks here. There are too many people that look for this video and either have a hard time or just plain can't find it.

You made a video for folks to use as a reference, perhaps you should let more people know about your site so they can access it. Maybe add a link to your signature block. Just a thought.

It'll come off tonight when I get home.

·
Registered
173 Posts
SFC_StJohn said:
Not a problem, didn't mean to offend. Just trying to help out the folks here. There are too many people that look for this video and either have a hard time or just plain can't find it.

You made a video for folks to use as a reference, perhaps you should let more people know about your site so they can access it. Maybe add a link to your signature block. Just a thought.

It'll come off tonight when I get home.
No troubles, I'm not pissed off or anything, or I would have said so. ;-) I simply would have preferred you contact me before using it in that way, particularly since your site has commercial aspects.

It's all good, though. I sent you an email earlier, asking that you just link to the page rather than mirroring the content.

You don't have any problem with that, do you?

As for finding it, well, it used to be pinned on the VOL in the mods topic, if a lot of people ask for it (I hadn't noticed, but that's cool if they are) maybe y'all might do something similar here. Links to it do tend to hover pretty high in the google search results for "debaffle volusia" though.

Anyway, the more links the merrier, as you said I did it to help people out. I would just prefer to retain some control over presentation and see it properly credited.

lyd

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Not a problem at all. I'll link to it. I'll also throw a hard link to your site on my "Links" page.

Much appreciated. Like I said, I really didn't mean to offend. I just try to help out here as much as I can.

My apologies for any confusion / misunderstandings.

Take care.

Bruce

·
Registered
173 Posts
SFC_StJohn said:
Not a problem at all. I'll link to it. I'll also throw a hard link to your site on my "Links" page.

Much appreciated. Like I said, I really didn't mean to offend. I just try to help out here as much as I can.

My apologies for any confusion / misunderstandings.
No apology necessary. If I had done a less half-assed job of the titles and credits in the video itself, it wouldn't be an issue. ;-)

Your site looks great, btw. Tons of info there.

lyd

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My apologizes for opening a can of worms over the weekend fellas. I feel partly responsible for your disagreement. I didn't realize until after I created my last post that lyd had also made the debaffle video that was on the Volusia Gateway. I just figured everybody was sharing useful information for Volusia Riders. I'm glad to see you guys are cool.

Thanks lyd for your input on the VH Straightshots. Unfortunately, I have only heard one Vol with HK3's on it and that is about it. I don't think the HK3's have the look or the sound I'm trying to get. I believe your ride along has me almost sold on the VH Straightshots. One question before I go. I noticed on your website in the Dragon Pics section that you are wearing a full face helmet. Both my passenger and I wear full face helmets. Will the full face helmet dampen the loudness a bit? I'm only asking these questions just so I gain awesome sound without losing my riding partner. Trust me, when I'm on my own I want to be heard! I appreciate you thoughts.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
- Just want to say Lyd- that is an excellent video on how to debaffle!!
I ended up with the Straightshots myself, but that video you did made debaffling look easier than buttering toast!!
Awesome job!!!
Cory- ... don't know if there is one out there?? ( never heard one myself ), and quite frankly- they don't usually sound very close to the real thing anyway.
Best bet would be to hook up with someone on this site that is near you- listen in person!
They ARE real loud- but if that's what you want ( as I did ) you WILL be very happy!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I will chime in here if you don't mind. I just installed V & H Straight Shots on the weekend. My wife and I were on the bike all day Sunday. I debaffled my stock pipes and I thought it sounded pretty good - a little on the raspy side maybe. My wife hated the sound of the debaffled pipes. So, I decided to go aftermarket (gotta keep the wife happy - if you know what I mean). Sound and loudness are very subjective. What I think is loud may not conform to other people's perception of loud. I find the V & H Straight Shots to be moderately loud. They have a pretty good idle rumble - one thing that was really important to me. They also have a great deceleration sound. I tend to pop the throttle on downshifts to maintain RPM'S and smooth out the downshift. They sound very nice when doing this. Their sound on acceleration is a little on the hollow or light side (to my ears anyway) but that is largely because of the relatively small engine size. I'm hoping they tone down to a more throaty sound as they age and break in. I haven't tried them without the baffles.

All in all, the Straight Shots are very nice pipes. They have a very nice sound without being excessively loud - to my ears anyway. WRT full face helmets and the sound of pipes - I find that any helmet covering the ears will result in a reverberation of the pipe sound. They actually seem louder. I normally wear a shorty but had to borrow a friend's full helmet once. This was just after I drilled the back plate on the stock pipes (hadn't even debaffled yet). I was amazed at how loud the stock pipes sounded because I really hadn't heard them until them.

Anyway, the best way to get the feel for the sound is to hear the pipes on a bike like yours, live and in person. Sound clips are useful but they don't give the full range of sound. Anyone living in the Hamilton, Ontario, Canada area wanting to hear V & H Straight Shots on an 05 C50 is welcome to come and have a listen. I'm more than happy to help.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Just curious SukiRider- How will our pipes " break in " over time? They do not contain any baffle fiberglass or anything that will change in time. I really can't see these pipes changing in sound at all unless something is changed. :?
I was thinking of changing the stock baffle to a Thunder Monster one- heard they have a deeper throatier sound with more HP.
Oh- since you only consider our pipes to be " moderately loud " - pull that baffle out and give her a spin! LOL :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
ChopperDaddy, I know what you mean about the pipes breaking in. I'm not exactly sure what is supposed to change. I've spoken with a number of people more knowledgeable than me who all seem to agree that the tone of the pipes will change - mellow- over time. Maybe it has to do with carbon build-up on the baffles and the inside of the pipe wall reducing reverberation within the pipe itself, maybe it has to do with the fact that the cyclic ringwall will develop a harmonic persuasion (LOL). Time will tell.

Yeah, for curiosity sake I will likely take out the baffles just to see. The nice thing is that they are easily removable and replaceable so if you don't like it you can simply put them back in - unlike the stock ones.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I took the baffles out- was actually quite surprised how it was really NOT much louder! It had a nicer rumble at idle and I thought " there is no way these are going back in! "
..... then I took her out for a spin.... MUCH louder going through the gears, and ( I personally think- even though it was posted here I am nuts ) that it sounded really good- more like a rowdy chopper!
So, I left them out for a day or two.... would come home from a ride and my ears actually hurt! After a while- did not find it so great anymore- just SO LOUD!!!
- My story of baffle removal on Straights :D :shock: :? :x

·
Registered
58 Posts
ChopperDaddy - Did you find the debaffled Straight Shots raspy at all or hollow sounding on the up shift? I loved the sound of the debaffled stocks on upshifts and hard acceleration - they had a really nice bark. I didn't like the deceleration sound at all. The bafflled straight shots are, in my opinion, a lot quieter than the debaffled stock pipes - do you agree? I am planning a day long ride into the States this weekend so I don't think I'll experiment with the baffles for that ride but maybe the following weekend - just to see what it sounds like. My wife likes the Straights a lot better than the debaffled stocks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts