Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ordered V&H Cruzers and the K&N filter for my C50 and they should be in this weekend. I've read several threads regarding processors, disabling the O2 sensor, pairing valve, etc. Some have said that they installed this combination and had no performance problems. Is it safe to think that I might get away with just the pipes and air filter??
Thanks in advance......Rock

·
Registered
243 Posts
To get the full performance benefits of the pipes and added airflow of the K&N, you'll need a fuel processor.

In addition, our bikes are set up lean as it is, and there is no o2 sensor, so the bike will not sense how lean it is and compensate.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Our bike definately does have an O2 sensor and vance&hines recommend the disabling of it to install their pipes...i had this done and all backfire probs dissappear.
cheers.

·
Registered
58 Posts
rocnrunnr
My guess is that you will need the fuel processor if you are installing pipes and a high-flow air cleaner. The K&N flows a lot more air and the stock module will not be able to compensate for it. My guess is that the bike will run extremely rough, if at all, until you install the FP. I installed V & H Straightshots without a FP and it seems to run ok. I haven't really noticed any reduced power. My brother noted a lot of blue smoke when I get on the throttle while he was riding behind me. That is recent and I don't know if it is the pipes or bad gas. I will have to keep an eye on it.

Jackbullet38 - you said that V & H recommends disabling the O2 sensor. My bike doesn't pop or backfire with the straight shots. I did not disable an O2 sensor as I don't even know where it is. I did disable the PAIR valve. Can you tell me where the O2 sensor is so that I can check it out. Also, how is it disabled? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the input, although now I'm somewhat stumped on what to do now that the pipes and filter were delivered today. Seems from the info that maybe I should just start with the pipes first and see how that goes.....it I don't get the stalling (any worse than I do since I installed the OEM tach), I must just ride like that for a while.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I installed the Cruzers this past weekend.....what a difference !! Installation was very simple and took about an hour. I have not yet installed the K&N filter, but so far the bike runs excellent without any adjustments or processor. It seems to have a bit more power based on monitoring the tach speeds vs. mph and I have not had any stalling or backfiring as of yet. I can't imagine how loud the Straightshots would be based on the sound of the Cruzers.....plenty loud for me and the neighbors.

·
Registered
122 Posts
rocknrunnr said:
.....It seems to have a bit more power based on monitoring the tach speeds vs. mph and I have not had any stalling or backfiring as of yet.
How can you tell it has more power by comparing the tach speeds to mph? RPM compared to mph is a function of transmission gearing and should not change with a pipe or intake mod.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK it has been a couple of weeks since I installed the Cruzers and I love them......however.......I still have the problem of stalling out when the fan kicks on when I'm stopped and idling. I haven't put the K&N filter on yet, and this problem started when I installed the OEM tach sometime back. I also installed light bar this past weekend and I'm wondering if there is just too much electrical draw now for the fuel injection to overcome. I ordered the Cobra processor from Oneida today and hope that it will cure the problem.....any ideas, suggestions?
Thanks........Rock

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE: I finally just disconnected the tach this weekend to keep the bike from stalling out at idle when the cooling fan kicks on. When I install the Cobra processor, I'll connect it again to see if it makes any difference. If not, I'm just going to remove it and write the $$$ off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts