Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to start ANOTHER valve post, but I need some advice. 2001 Volusia, 35,000 miles I did a valve adjustement Saturday, and some of the valves were too tight. I used the instructions from TheRusks site, but used the JPaige method of adjustment. After all was put back together, there was quite a bit of valve clatter. After waiting several hours and making sure the bike was cold, I did it all over again (much quicker the second time). After the second time, I did a test ride and there is still more clatter than what I am used to , but the bike runs good. (was able to get to 95 indicated riding 2 up on a slight incline) After reading endless spost to no avail my question is this:

The Rusks instructions say to make sure the rocker arms are in the relaxed position, which I did. Since I used the JPaige method, is this still a true statement? There is such a small amount of "wiggle" with the rocker arms, but since the valve adjustment is so moinor, I assume it could affect the adjustment- maybe as much as 25 percent.

The service manual does not talk about the rocker arms in the relaxed position, and I could not find any comment regarding the rocker arms in any posts that did the Jpaige method.

The bike is running good, and I may be paranoid with the new sound but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dave

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
A properly adjusted valve train is noisy. Like an angry sewing machine. When they are tight it is quiet then you need to worry.

Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
Even when using the JPaige method, the rockers should be relaxed after you turn the 1/4 or 1/2 on the adjusting screws.

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
it's gonna be louder. the rockers have to be relaxed.

try ride'n a triumph.....they sound like two Singers humping with no lubrication! LOL

:lol:

·
Premium Member
14,449 Posts
Toe Knee said:
two Singers humping with no lubrication! LOL

Boy George and George Michaels???? :lol:

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
v0lusia said:
Toe Knee said:
two Singers humping with no lubrication! LOL

Boy George and George Michaels???? :lol:
Had to think about that one for a minute!! (Singers)

But as Larry would say: "Thats funny sh!t right there, I don't care who you are!!"

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
I thought it would take longer for someone to make that comment but v0lusia is quicker then two RABBITS hump'n!

LOL

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Well. I am glad someone has asked the question. I often find myself trying things just because it can be done i.e. valve adjustment. After reading this I will leave mine alone and be satisfied with the small noise it makes. Thanks for answering

·
Registered
548 Posts
Iron,

I prefer to use the opposite method on the relax. I turn the engine so the intake side is compressed, then check the exhaust. Repeat for exhaust being compressed, check the intake!

The TDC, BTDC is too easy to get confused.

·
Registered
285 Posts
When you have the engine at the R/T or F/T timing marks the valves will be "relaxed". The camshaft followers will be on the base circle of the camshaft and clearance should be present between both valve adjuster screws and the valve tip.

After you're done you can grasp the adjusting nut with your finger and move the rocker arm up and down a bit. You'll be able to hear a "click" as the clearance is taken up on the downward stroke AND you can see the rocker arm motion too. The click will be louder by a bit on the exhaust valves due to their increased clearance compared to the intakes.

As mentioned in previous posts, you should hear the valves a bit when the engine is running. If you have a windehield it may seem a bit noisier as the sound is reflected back toward the rider.

Ray Nielsen, in Minneapolis and went for a ride today.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the advice. I'm just planning a 1200 mile ride this weekend so I think I'm worried too much about it. I've been re=playing the adjustment in my mind ... so much so that I passed up the gas station on the way home from work. Sure I can make it....NOT! Ran out of gas on the interstate. Two hours later and I finally made it home. The bike is running good though.

I'm taking the night off, this beer has never tasted so good.

Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts