Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many of you actually get valves checked at 12xxxx as recommended in scheduled maintenance? What are the results? Reason I ask is I called a very trusted mechanic to schedule a valve job and he asked me why? He asked if I was having issues starting the bike. I told them I was having no issues just thought I should do it because it was recommended. He said he would do it but told me that sportbikes because they're run very hard usually need adjusting. He said 99% of the time the Cruisers are fine. Just wondering what you guys see and do on your bikes.

·
Registered
19,345 Posts
The service interval is every 7500 miles. Yes, it needs to be done, regardless of what your "trusted mechanic" said. The valve seats are softer than the valves themselves and the repeated force of opening and closing will cause the valves to sink deeper into the valve seats, closing up the needed gap between the valve stem and the rocker arm. If you ignore it long enough then they will eventually stop closing all the way and the gasses will escape and burn the valves, seats and upper cylinder.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've had to adjust the valves at recommended intervals and each time it made a difference. First time at 7500 it was to quiet the valve train, second time at 14k it was to regain lost fuel mileage.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to do it as recommended I figured better safe than sorry. I was just curious though to find out what other people were seeing when they had their valves checked. Thanks for your responses

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I've heard that adjusting the valves on a C-50 is akin to the enjoyment achieved from chewing a ball of tinfoil.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've heard that adjusting the valves on a C-50 is akin to the enjoyment achieved from chewing a ball of tinfoil.
Chewing the tinfoil is more enjoyable
Yep, I imagine that that's why I'm not going to do it. It'll be one of those things that I say to myself a couple of curse words that I don't need to say. So I read another post several years back on this same site and I will just take my bike in and get it done

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yep, I imagine that that's why I'm not going to do it. It'll be one of those things that I say to myself a couple of curse words that I don't need to say. So I read another post several years back on this same site and I will just take my bike in and get it done

Well I didn't mean to put you off of adjusting your own valves, most of the difficulty arises from the limited access to the valve adjusters due to the overhead frame members. With patience and a little ingenuity mostly with bending the feeler gauge into the correct shape it can be done. Just expect a little frustration along the way.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Well I didn't mean to put you off of adjusting your own valves, most of the difficulty arises from the limited access to the valve adjusters due to the overhead frame members. With patience and a little ingenuity mostly with bending the feeler gauge into the correct shape it can be done. Just expect a little frustration along the way.
Thanks, but im going to pass on this one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm hoping to put mine off until the end of the summer season... 10kish mile mark. Will do myself. Overdue for a check! I bet one or more are tight. Engine is quiet and runs well...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm hoping to put mine off until the end of the summer season... 10kish mile mark. Will do myself. Overdue for a check! I bet one or more are tight. Engine is quiet and runs well...
Good luck. Im scheduled for first week of Aug. I will let you all know how they were and what it set me back.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I just do mine myself the jpaige way. I ran an engine 120,000 miles doing it this way, and I'm at about 60,000 on the second engine in this bike. Still doing fine.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice..... sounds like you're doing things right. That's what I would do if I were to to it myself but I just can't get myself to do it. I believe that would be a ton of frustration involved.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, my c50 has 12,500 miles on it and I've brought it in twice in 13 years to have the valves checked. Both times none of the valves needed any adjustment. The mechanic told me that they rarely have to adjust the valves on c50s.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, my c50 has 12,500 miles on it and I've brought it in twice in 13 years to have the valves checked. Both times none of the valves needed any adjustment. The mechanic told me that they rarely have to adjust the valves on c50s.
Right, thats what I have heard. I am going to have it checked and we will see. I will keep everyone posted....if for no other reason....so you guys know.

·
Administrator
51,693 Posts
I've personally adjusted valves on more than a dozen C50 Suzukis, and every one of those machines had very little or zero valve stem/rocker clearance, and required adjustment. There is no such reliable procedure as "listening to valve clearance", which I suspect Your mechanic has erroneously done.

·
Registered
19,345 Posts
You should find a new mechanic.

I checked my valves every 7500 miles, per the inspection requirement and ALWAYS had to adjust the clearance. I used to do the same check for local riders I met on the forum here in exchange for some adult beverages. I always had to adjust the clearance on their bikes too.

Anybody who tells you they've "never had to touch their valves" isn't really checking them properly. The gaps close up over time and you will imperceptibly lose power as that happens - right up until you burn the valve and destroy the upper cylinder in the process.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Whoa guys, he didn't say his mechanic " listened" to the valves. He simply said he had his valves checked twice and didn't need an adjustment. No reason not to think that his mechanic didn't do the work? Just his experience that's all.

·
Registered
19,345 Posts
Based on experience, unless the mechanic "checked" the valves using a proper feeler gauge and declared them to be within spec, then no. The valves were not "checked" by anyone. Listening to the bike and looking at the valves with the covers off is not an inspection. Most mechanics tell you "it never needs to be done" because they know what a pain in the butt the job can be.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts