Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I purchased a Boulevard M50 back in July. I debaffled my pipes around 600 miles. I am now at about 1400 miles and my valves are starting to chatter when I first start it up and run it down the road for about 15 minutes. I did not do the 600 mile check up. I replaced all of the fluids myself because I didn't want to pay a dealer 150 ~ 300 for what I could do myself. Have any other people experienced valve chatter after a debaffle and pair valve job???

·
Registered
129 Posts
You should check/adjust your valves at 600 miles per the manual. Some chatter is normal, but too much chatter is not. Only by checking the clearance will you know if you are doing damage to your engine.

Wild Man

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I am trying to schedule an appointment with an "honest" mechanic... The opnly reason why I haven't gotten it scheduled yet is because he's got about 40 bikes in his shop right now :shock:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh yea, I should have also mentioned that I only hear the chatter when I crank down on the throttle and my RPM's aren't too high.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Oh, that may be engine pre-ignition you are hearing. When you debaffled you reduced backpressure and regular unleaded can start to pre-ignite. Pre-ignition (a.k.a. pinging or engine knock) is when the entire load of gasoline vapor in the cylinder explodes all at once. It is suppose to burn smoothly and evenly from the spark plug outward to the top of the piston not all at once. Instead of "burning" towards the pistion and pushing it "explodes" and punches the piston. Try a tank of unleaded Plus or Super and see if that cures it. Let us know.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks Amos1974 for posting this question. I was asking the same questions and my wife thinks I'm nuts. She calls me "Horton hears a Who". I had the 600 mile service done but they said I didn't need to have the valves adjusted (they said a recent study said it wasn't necessary). Anyway, I've now got about 1500 miles on my C50T and I noticed that the chatter seems to be a little louder. I too hear it the most when I throttle down and I'm still in a higher gear. (30-40 mph and 4th gear). I've taken back to the dealer twice and he says the noises I'm hearing are normal. He said that the C50 has solid lifters which make up some of the noise and that I'm also hearing the Cam. They also said my was quitter than most. Does this sound right to you guys? I did try 93 octane and didn't really hear any difference.This is my first Suzuki and love the way it rides, but don't want to tear up the motor because I'm to stupid to notice something is wrong. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
Tinman

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Not to worry. The clatter is normal, and welcome. No clatter and they are too tight. As for the hi octane, only need to try that if you are hearing pinging when you get on the throttle. Your bike is fine. It's just loosening up a bit. Break-in actually continues after the 600 mile mark. So enjoy!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tinman,

That is exactly what my bike is doing. but it only seems to do it for about 15 mins after running it and then it smooths out and I don't notice it anymore. Did you drill your baffles out? I thought that it may have been because I drilled mine out.

I just put Amoco 93 octane in it yesterday and I still hear that noise. I tend to be somewhat of a worry wart about mechanical things ever since my transmission went out in my minivan and it cost $3000 to replace... Since then I traded it for a truck and always think that I hear something going wrong with it as well.

So maybe it is just me being overly paranoid...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Debaffel

Thought I was the only one, glad to see I'm not alone. Being paranoid about s*#t takes a lot of the fun out of life, but I think you ll like the sound even if you just drill out the back plate. I'm in the process of doing mine now. A bunch of half inch ho;es around the outer edge, and it makes for a louder sounding bike. I like it, and you will too.
I know its been beat to death, but I'm still not sure, can someone tell me if I should take my back plate out altogether, how do I break the end baffle off? Does it twist off by wiggling it, or is it threaded or what? As always, thanks for any advise. Skynyrd Fan

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Real easy. Just stick a broom handle inside the baffle and rotate it around, and around, and around, and around, and around, until if feels very loose. Then take vise grips and snap it the rest of the way off. What you are doing is breaking two tack welds in there at 3:00 and 9:00.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts