Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After dealing with the frustration of adjusting the intake vales on the #2 cylinder I decided it was time to end the Suzuki BS and remove the thick do nothing plate that was only put in to stop people from adjusting their valves on their own. Now it takes longer to pull the the tank, seat and breather than it does to do the actual valve adjustment.

here is the plate

·
Registered
670 Posts
what did you have to do to remove it?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Whoa!!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Used a reciprocating saw to remove the bracket. No, it does not compromise the integrity of the frame. Measure the distance between the front bracket and the rear bracket by the seat, measure the diameter of the frame tubing. Now look at the thickness of the cast steel bracket. The only reason Suzuki put that monstrosity in there was to stop owners from doing their own valve adjustments. Do you really think the frame will wobble back and forth without it because my frame is just as stiff without that bracket as when it had it in there. Takes me 10 minutes to pull the covers and adjust the valves now. Look at the valve caps on the intake valve, you have an 8mm bolt and a 10mm nut, why? The exhaust valve caps are both 8 mm bolts. The exhaust valve caps are off set by design making the bolt difficult bolt to get at yet much easier than the 2 pistons intake valve. The first pistons exhaust valve cap is also a ***** to get to unless you take a 8 mm boxed end wrench and bend the end into a U shape. The only thing that got less integrity was Suzuki's ignorant design that forces many owners to take their bikes to a Suzuki mechanic shop to most likely get ripped off. My first service cost me $275.00 and all they did was listen to the valves while the engine ran. I did the first valve adjustment at 36000 miles, the valves were still within tolerance. 7500 miles between checks? Not really a bother now but still too soon for me to fall for. I now have 48000 miles and the bike runs like a champ. And no, the frame hasn't collapsed on me yet. One last question, ever watch Orange County Choppers? Ever see them put a 1/2 in thick cast steel plate right above the valves? Just saying.... you can fight the #2 intake valve cap all you want if you really think the frames integrity has been compromised. Good luck to you on your next valve adjustment!

·
Registered
21,178 Posts
Sorry, but you are wrong. The engine is considered a stressed member of the frame. What it introduces in longitudinal strength, it adds nothing to the latitudinal support. The purpose of the 'do nothing plate' is to keep the frame from twisting under acceleration. Without it, well, in insurance adjuster parlance.... 'you totalled your bike'......
Now you're going to have to keep an eye on the welds to make sure cracks don't develop.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
That's like the people who cut roof trusses to install air handlers is the attic, Stupid!!Just plain Stupid!

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Sorry, but you are wrong. The engine is considered a stressed member of the frame. What it introduces in longitudinal strength, it adds nothing to the latitudinal support. The purpose of the 'do nothing plate' is to keep the frame from twisting under acceleration. Without it, well, in insurance adjuster parlance.... 'you totalled your bike'......
Now you're going to have to keep an eye on the welds to make sure cracks don't develop.
Yep, exactly. Any damage to the frame is considered a total loss to insurance companies. You just totaled your bike and if you try to sell it this way you MUST disclose this fact.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ROTFLMAO! Yeah, the little VL 800 with the 805cc engine generates so much torque that it will rip pavement off the very concrete it travels on! Really, torque? How many people get on the C50's and try to blow transmission or strip the gears out of the final drive? Most people on this board don't even think the bike is a good highway cruiser. Perhaps if I put a V8 engine on the frame then I might consider putting a stiffening plate on the upper frame, I think it would have a lot of torque with a V8 or even a V6 but not the 805 cc V2. I ride the interstate regularly and based on your opinion my bike should be bent over toward the right from all the twisting but guess what, it still stands straight as an arrow! Since I don't and never will try popping wheelies I pretty sure the bike will withstand all the torque it takes to accelerate to highway speeds without twisting the frame. Hasn't twisted yet so I am guessing I am good! I'll make sure I run out and call my insurance company and tell them I took the cross piece off of the frame today. I have bought and built salvaged trikes, bikes and cars that were totaled and got them rebuilt and back on the road with insurance and a salvage title. I am guessing that the insurance deal is not really such a big deal after all. Funny thing I have seen a lot of bikes of all flavors with frame mods and a lot of comments about how great of a mod that is. Actually changing out the exhaust system can void the bikes warranty, cause the loss of insurance and get the bike impounded because altering the exhaust system is illegal in most states. Altering and installing a C90/VL1400 final drive can also cause a loss of insurance as those who do make that mod just blew the integrity of their drive train. Finally, I am extremely pleased and happy with this mod as I can now easily pull the hardest valve cap and adjust the valves without any problems like dropping a tool in the valve cavity and if I decide to make the adjustment every 7500 miles (too short of distance in my opinion) it is no longer an "Oh God valve adjustment time again" moment. Do the mod, don't do the mod, the choice is yours. Enjoy your mods as I am enjoying mine!

·
Registered
21,178 Posts
Yup. Let's cut out this stiffening brace. Obviously the engineers who put it there don't know what they're doing. It is an apparent plot to make sure that all of the owners have to take their bikes in to be serviced at factory dealers so they can use their expensive tools and charge the owner a small fortune for the service. It is great having rural persons with a rouge skin tone on their upper shoulders to solve such problems for us... usually that is proceeded by 'here. Hold my beer.'.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
I'm pretty sure restricting access to valve adjustment wasn't what the engineer was thinking when he designed that plate into the frame.

Be sure and point that cool mod out to any prospective buyer, please report back on the reactions you receive.

Some of us have modified the seat via "the homeboy cut". What shall we call this one ?

·
Super Moderator
65,642 Posts
ROTFLMAO! Yeah, the little VL 800 with the 805cc engine generates so much torque that it will rip pavement off the very concrete it travels on! Really, torque? How many people get on the C50's and try to blow transmission or strip the gears out of the final drive? Most people on this board don't even think the bike is a good highway cruiser. Perhaps if I put a V8 engine on the frame then I might consider putting a stiffening plate on the upper frame, I think it would have a lot of torque with a V8 or even a V6 but not the 805 cc V2. I ride the interstate regularly and based on your opinion my bike should be bent over toward the right from all the twisting but guess what, it still stands straight as an arrow! Since I don't and never will try popping wheelies I pretty sure the bike will withstand all the torque it takes to accelerate to highway speeds without twisting the frame. Hasn't twisted yet so I am guessing I am good! I'll make sure I run out and call my insurance company and tell them I took the cross piece off of the frame today. I have bought and built salvaged trikes, bikes and cars that were totaled and got them rebuilt and back on the road with insurance and a salvage title. I am guessing that the insurance deal is not really such a big deal after all. Funny thing I have seen a lot of bikes of all flavors with frame mods and a lot of comments about how great of a mod that is. Actually changing out the exhaust system can void the bikes warranty, cause the loss of insurance and get the bike impounded because altering the exhaust system is illegal in most states. Altering and installing a C90/VL1400 final drive can also cause a loss of insurance as those who do make that mod just blew the integrity of their drive train. Finally, I am extremely pleased and happy with this mod as I can now easily pull the hardest valve cap and adjust the valves without any problems like dropping a tool in the valve cavity and if I decide to make the adjustment every 7500 miles (too short of distance in my opinion) it is no longer an "Oh God valve adjustment time again" moment. Do the mod, don't do the mod, the choice is yours. Enjoy your mods as I am enjoying mine!
It's ok. Justify it however you want to make yourself feel better ;)
You may not be a good mechanic but you sure are a good typer. Are you a secretary? :)

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
...... The strain from engine torque multiplied by the reduction for the gear and final drive while not huge by superbike and big cruiser standards is in the hundreds of foot/pounds....but that's the least of your worries. Starting at the steering head and tapering back to the seat the top of the frame makes an oval of sorts. At the front of this oval two long levers constantly stress the top rails through this oval from front to rear transferring stresses in the thousands of pounds of force from front fork to rear springs and trailing arm. Keeping the sides of the oval where they belong and preventing the welds at each end from cracking is that cross brace....and you just eliminated it. Yeah you made the valves easier to get to but you also put the load that was being absorbed by that cross brace directly on the welds at each end of that oval. Your welds might not crack for month....you may be lucky and never ever use the bike for extended periods on rough roads....you may luck out and even survive a few potholes, but the damage is done and it's only a matter of time....if you haven't got one get yourself a good micrometer, changes will be small at first then accelerate as damage occurs...it's just how steel works...it will flex so far then loose almost all it's strength....especially in welds....also get a good Dye Penetrant Inspection kit and check those welds often. (guess what I do for a living)

·
Registered
238 Posts
omg sry to say it but there rite you totaled your bike didn't want to post anything till I asked my brother that is a insurance adjuster and he said any mod to a fram that cuts drills crack or bends is a automatic total loss also now your bike is not road worthy even if you think it can handle it if you where to get in a wreck for anyreson you are not coverd that bike is now a parts bike only =( sry for ya loss:crying:

Reactions: Skrapiron
1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.