Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped by our local dealer/stealer and ask about getting the valves adjusted on my 2005 C50. He quoted me a price of $500.00, that was to include labor, and parts My question is what parts would he be replacing and isn't that a bit high on cost. I have never adjusted valves on a bike, but at that price I think I would try to do it.

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
Stopped by our local dealer/stealer and ask about getting the valves adjusted on my 2005 C50. He quoted me a price of $500.00, that was to include labor, and parts My question is what parts would he be replacing and isn't that a bit high on cost. I have never adjusted valves on a bike, but at that price I think I would try to do it.
The only parts the might need replacement (other than what ever the bike mechanic breaks) are the O-rings for the 4 valve covers and I've never seen them damaged in the 4 valve adjustments I've done on my bike.

At $500, that's $200/hr shop rate - unless they are doing some other parts and service at the same time.

They either see you as a sucker or don't want the work very bad.

·
Registered
272 Posts
There are great instructions on the site. Read them over and decide what it's worth to you. I think $500 is way too much. Having done it once, $200 would be a good price to me. The smaller your hands and the more nearsighted you are make this job easier. :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
The parts are the four o-ring gaskets and one O-ring for plug to turn the engine by hand, they cost a total of $24.

Since I am an aircraft mechanic I decided to do the job myself I just followed the instructions in the shop manual, it took me about three hours, but I was also cleaning and polishing everything before I reinstalled them.

One tip if you use a standard feeler gauge use the high side of the limit, as the gap gets smaller as things wear, and connect something long to the feeler gauge in case you drop it in the engine.

If you are mechanically inclined I say give it a try yourself.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
There are great instructions on the site. Read them over and decide what it's worth to you. I think $500 is way too much. Having done it once, $200 would be a good price to me. The smaller your hands and the more nearsighted you are make this job easier. :biglaugh:
Awwwww! I am planning to do my own valve adjust, but I have big hands and I am very farsighted. This might be hard.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
My shop guy charges me about $135.00 every 2 years to adjust my valves.

·
Registered
21,177 Posts
The valves are not hard to do, but the job is tedious and time consuming. It is also very easy to screw things up, especially if you are not sure of what you are doing. In terms of difficulty, on a scale of 0-10, the job is a 6.5-7. Not impossible, but not something I would openly recommend to persons who can barely change their own oil.

·
Registered
671 Posts
The valves are not hard to do, but the job is tedious and time consuming. It is also very easy to screw things up, especially if you are not sure of what you are doing. In terms of difficulty, on a scale of 0-10, the job is a 6.5-7. Not impossible, but not something I would openly recommend to persons who can barely change their own oil.
I would say that sums it up perfectly. It's only difficult due to being really tight to work in that space with the gauges.

·
Premium Member
7,089 Posts
At $500.00 he's certainly a "Stealer"ship!

Way to expensive. Obviously he doesn't do too many at that price!

·
Super Moderator
65,642 Posts
Hey Jimmer, where ya been? Haven't heard from you since forever and haven't seen you in over a year. Thought you'd go to OctoVRfest in Gettysburg. You missed a good time.

·
Registered
579 Posts
ridiculous

Does this guy know criminal activity is against the law. He is trying to rob you. I didn't pay that much for my first check up on a new c50.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Awwwww! I am planning to do my own valve adjust, but I have big hands and I am very farsighted. This might be hard.
Depending on where you live in Texas, you are welcome to come down to San Antonio, and Big Bird and I will help you get it done. I've got a decent garage and tools. Big Bird and I have done all the maintenance and mods on both of our bikes since day 1.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It can be done by many here if they search and find the procedures on this site. Most important, whether you do it yourself or someone else does it is that the valves need to basically sit over night. They need to be cold!

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
I've done my valve adjustment every time (three so far) and have not had any issues. It's kinda a pain but I feel like I accomplished something when I'm done, and I also feel like I can go buy a new tool or something with the money I saved. Typical valve "check"/adjustment around here is about $300-$350. I am somewhat skeptical that the shop really does a good check/adjustment. I guess I've never had my bike in for service other than tire changes and annual inspection, so I don't "know" the mechanics that well to trust they will do it right. I've been burned more than once from auto mechanics, even at a "reputable" dealer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.