Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am one of those poor dawgs that has an '02 Volusia (the year that DOES NOT have a fuel pump/vacuum fed only). I can get it to run briefly if I pull off the fuel tank and pour fuel into the carburetor. Other than that I've only been able to get it running (with fuel tank attached) once. (I've done all the easy stuff: New fuel and vacuum lines, rebuilt the carb, new plugs and wires, replaced the fuel valve, checked that there was spark). So ... it would appear I have a fuel supply/vacuum issue.

Here's my goofy Vacuum question: If I pull the fuel line from the fuel valve (aka petcock), and blow air into it (from my mouth), shouldn't that be air-tight? It is not. I can hear and feel air is escaping. There is no change in the amount of air escaping if I turn the throttle, or open the drain at the bottom of the bowl. Is this indicating I've got a vacuum leak? If I blow some smoke in there will I see it come out where there's a leak?

Yes blowing into your carburetor sounds like a good-old-boy way of finding a vacuum leak, but with frustration comes goofiness.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am one of those poor dawgs that has an '02 Volusia (the year that DOES NOT have a fuel pump/vacuum fed only). I can get it to run briefly if I pull off the fuel tank and pour fuel into the carburetor. Other than that I've only been able to get it running (with fuel tank attached) once. (I've done all the easy stuff: New fuel and vacuum lines, rebuilt the carb, new plugs and wires, replaced the fuel valve, checked that there was spark). So ... it would appear I have a fuel supply/vacuum issue.

Here's my goofy Vacuum question: If I pull the fuel line from the fuel valve (aka petcock), and blow air into it (from my mouth), shouldn't that be air-tight? It is not. I can hear and feel air is escaping. There is no change in the amount of air escaping if I turn the throttle, or open the drain at the bottom of the bowl. Is this indicating I've got a vacuum leak? If I blow some smoke in there will I see it come out where there's a leak?

Yes blowing into your carburetor sounds like a good-old-boy way of finding a vacuum leak, but with frustration comes goofiness.

Your thoughts?
First off, need a little more info. Is this a VL800? If so, I'm pretty sure your bike would have a vacuum operated fuel pump under the battery tray. It sounds like for sure there's a vacuum line cracked, broken, or missing somewhere. I went through this a short time back. Frustrating to say the least.

DSC02786.JPG

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, its a VL800. No, the 2002 did not come with a fuel pump. That's according to multiple posts on VR. There is no trace of a fuel pump, as well as none being there. However, I should just be able to add one, right? Its just a matter of routing hoses. Nothing electrical?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I had an 02 until May of this year and it had a vacuum fuel pump. If I’m remembering correctly there were no electrical connections. There was one vacuum line then the fuel line from the pet cock went to it then to the carb. I’m sure someone with a better memory and more knowledge than I will be along to help you further.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's images from an earlier post where I went looking for the fuel pump every diagram said should be there ...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well ... I finally got it running, mostly. WITHOUT a fuel pump. I'll post a diagram of the fuel and vacuum hose routing for the next '02 Newbee that gets their carburetor in pieces, in a box. My remaining issues are that its backfiring, and it only wants to run well at partial choke. That sounds like fine-tuning the carb. Reading-up on that next.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts