Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, but I'm not mechanically talented. After storing my 2007 C50 for 4 months, it has run died consistently and eventually lost power. At full throttle, I could not get the bike over 60MPH. The problem worsened as I rode, and now it idles so low and sputters out as soon as I release the clutch. I am certain it is NOT the sidestand switch, but believe it is a vacuum issue.

I pulled the take, looked for something obvious in the fuel lines and tank (blew them out with a compressor). I noticed the air filter had gas in the chamber. Could the air :bladder" (just under the tank and feeding the air filter) have stress cracked under the heat, and have a leak impacting the vacuum?

I don't know where else to turn. The YouTube videos are NOT helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By "bladder", I meant the intake manifold. I had a senior moment and couldn't remember what to call it.
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
You can always take a can of ether, or a propane torch with no flame, and spray around the engine intake areas a bit.
If the bike perks up when you do it, you have a leak to find.
But don't spray directly into the intake.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The airbox/filter assembly is not under vacuum. Leaks in the box may allow unfiltered air into the engine, but that really won't affect how it runs.

Vacuum is only downstream of the throttle blades. But I don't think that's your issue. You can check as described above by waving an unlit torch around the throttle body/heads with the engine idling, if the RPM goes up you found a leak (which will cause it to run lean and adversely affect performance)

My money is on low fuel pressure. This is becoming a fairly common issue on older C50's. You can check this by removing the fuel outlet pipe from the tank, and hooking up a pressure gauge on a length of hose to it, then cycle the key. You're looking for ~43psi.

Regulators fail and result in low pressure. I had extremely similar symptoms to what you described and found only about 15psi at the tank outlet. It would run, but had very low power, a weak idle, stalled a lot, ect. A new regulator fixed the problem.

Unfortunately Suzuki does not sell just the regulator as one part. It's part of the "in tank assembly", which is only one part # and costs like $500. I found a used assembly on ebay and poached the regulator off it. I couldn't find one aftermarket. The closest I got was a regulator for a Vstrom, which looks very similar, aside from it's straight and the C50 one is L-shaped- still, think it would work with a slight modification to it's bracket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The airbox/filter assembly is not under vacuum. Leaks in the box may allow unfiltered air into the engine, but that really won't affect how it runs.

Vacuum is only downstream of the throttle blades. But I don't think that's your issue. You can check as described above by waving an unlit torch around the throttle body/heads with the engine idling, if the RPM goes up you found a leak (which will cause it to run lean and adversely affect performance)

My money is on low fuel pressure. This is becoming a fairly common issue on older C50's. You can check this by removing the fuel outlet pipe from the tank, and hooking up a pressure gauge on a length of hose to it, then cycle the key. You're looking for ~43psi.

Regulators fail and result in low pressure. I had extremely similar symptoms to what you described and found only about 15psi at the tank outlet. It would run, but had very low power, a weak idle, stalled a lot, ect. A new regulator fixed the problem.

Unfortunately Suzuki does not sell just the regulator as one part. It's part of the "in tank assembly", which is only one part # and costs like $500. I found a used assembly on ebay and poached the regulator off it. I couldn't find one aftermarket. The closest I got was a regulator for a Vstrom, which looks very similar, aside from it's straight and the C50 one is L-shaped- still, think it would work with a slight modification to it's bracket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, Thanks for this information, but it's somewhat discouraging / disturbing. I have the bike stripped down to basically nothing, and have not seen anything obvious. I can try to find a regulator, but I'm afraid I am getting beyond my technical capabilities. I'm going to go jump out of a plane now and see if another thought pops in my head to solve this. free falling is where I do my best thinking.
At least I think so. Thank you for the quick response.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I assure you, clogged injectors. I have a 2005 and it had the same symptoms, I took out both injectors and pressure cleaned them, problem gone. Full power restored. You may want to get an injector cleaning kit off of eBay. Costs around $10 and a can of fuel injector cleaner out of your favorite auto parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts