Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a brand spanking new set of Vance and Hines Straightshots for $358. I think that's a good deal. Do I need new gaskets? Also my local shop quoted me 3-4 hours @$75ph to install and re-jet. Does this sound like a fair price?

·
Premium Member
6,699 Posts
Can't comment on the labor charges BUT, yes, you will need new gaskets. The dealer should have them, and should automatically replace them.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
install 'em yourself

·
Registered
670 Posts
I bought Cobra Streetrods for mine, and the re-jet wasn't that bad at all

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you have some basic mechanical ability the pipes are easy. It's a litte tight getting the bolts out of and back into the flanges, just be patient. The carb does need to be rejetted, if you don't have any experience with carbs you might want to have that done. However if they will do both for 300 thats a good price. I would get a written estimate to hold them to fhat price. Also I used the original gaskets in mine and had no problems. Inspect them if they look good use them.they are about 10 bucks apiece.

·
Administrator
52,327 Posts
Do I need to re-jet? I did a little research and it looks like a pain in the ass for someone with little mechanical experience like myself.
If the machine is running an original equipment air filter, You may not need to re-jet the carburetor.
Change the air filter element to a K&N, and jet changes are usually necessary.

In my opinion, whenever ANY changes to fuel or exhaust systems are made, it's a good idea to upgrade the jetting on carbureted machines, or add a fuel controller unit on a fuel injected machine.

Overly lean mixtures can lead to damaged valves, valve seats & guides, pistons, etc.

As far as the charges to install the pipes, and re-jet the machine, $75 per hour times three or four hours is a bargain, as compared to cost if You happened to shear off an exhaust stud, or cause mechanical issues within the carburetor.
If You're competent with this type of service work, then have at it!

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Yes, you might get some performance gains with a K&N, BUT not without a rejet, I know my 2003 would NOT run with a K&N, it would pop, spit and sputter when under load. I took it back off and sold it.
So, we all know you have purchased exhaust, and your bike will probably run o.k. with just the exhaust, if you plan on buying a K&N air filter, do the rejet first.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I gained 5 bhp and 6 llb ft of torque after adding an after adding a Thunder Mfg airkit. Already had the pipes and Power Commander.
It sounds a small increase but on these engines it's actually around 10% and really does make a difference.
I've also had a timing retard eliminator fitted.
It's no sports bike but it ain't slow either. It's even more fun to ride now.

·
Registered
785 Posts
rejet install Straight shots

Have been running these pipes for 4 years. Have not rejetted, bike runs fine BUT there would be less pipe discoloration if I had.
BTW 300 to install AND rejet WITH the rejet kit is a VG price.
The bike runs a little lean, I am rejetting this spring...
The alignment of replacing the mounting bolys on the cylinder heads can be ricky and could result in you having to have a thread retapped or insert placed in the the head due to it being screwed in wrong.
Don';t ask how I know.
The bike looked cool on the flat bed tho....

·
Registered
670 Posts
Do the reject yourself if you decide to do the exhaust on your own. It took me about 30 minutes and I even had to drill and pull one of the screws. When you get in there, the jetting is VERY self explanatory.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts