Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all!
Basically the question for those who know why it's not recommended to put Vance & Hines straightshots exhaust pipes on 09 C50. Some recommend to use fuel control like Power commander. I know that straight shots fit models 05-08 but what is the difference? Please share.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I did a quick search. Funny thing is that I did not find a single website (including Vance and Hines) that confirmed the fitment details for the straightshots on a 2009 C50.
I think the answer to your question is that they are not recommended for the '09 C50 is because there may be fitment issues.

May be worth an e-mail to vance and hines customer service to ensure fitment details prior to purchase.

If you are changing the stock air intake to a high flow air intake then YES, you will need fuel management to compensate for the change.
If no changes are made to the air intake, then fuel management is not required.

[email protected]

or;

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
When I bought my straight shots for my '04 off eBay it didn't come with the rear mounting bracket. After a few email exchanges I actually called V&H and a human being answered the phone! I was even more shocked with how helpful and eager he was to help me with exactly what I needed. It turns out that I was talking to the person who I had been exchanging emails with. I highly recommend reaching out to them for the answers you seek. Best of luck. Those pipes are blindingly loud. Enjoy!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! The fitment of those pipes exactly same as 08. Some say that it has to do with fuel control or something. My question is why other aftermarket pipes don't actually require power commander and these ones do.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am a firm believer that if you change either the air intake or the exhaust you would see the benefits of a fuel management product, especially on a fuel injected machine. It just makes sense as it is attached in-line with the bike's ECM. The bike comes from the factory too lean anyways so you could be solving that problem by adding a fuel management system.
You can put the exhaust on and ride for a bit to judge the difference. Take note of any fuel issues, mileage changes, popping on deceleration, acceleration and overall performance. The biggest change will probably be an increase in engine temperature.

Are you doing any damage to your bike by not installing one ? Can't confirm or deny that....everyone probably has an opinion about this, but if the temp goes up beyond acceptable levels, one can only assume something nasty is taking place.

Where are you getting your information that says you MUST install a power commander with the vance and hines straightshots ? I have not found any info that specifically states that. Of course, all manufacturers will recommend a fuel management system with their exhausts.

My vote = aftermarket exhaust + fuel management.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
Thanks guys! The fitment of those pipes exactly same as 08. Some say that it has to do with fuel control or something. My question is why other aftermarket pipes don't actually require power commander and these ones do.
I can't say for sure but maybe they have done their homework on these pipes and it has to do with a ''tuned length and diameter'' that match and require an increase in fuel or more flexibility for tuning...... when making changes like this to a bike it isn't a bad idea to do a dyno tune with the air/fuel monitors and such... the stuff that the butt dyno won't show you and do for you.....

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi, I had V&H Straightshots on my 09 for a while, They fit fine,look good and give a nice sound, the only reason V&H don't list them is because they don't have 2x, o2 sensor Bosses fitted for the 09 and later models, easy fix though, but that another story :biglaugh:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts