Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife bought me a Vance & Hines jet kit a few weeks ago which I plan on installing tomorrow. Searching around on the site, it seems most people rejet with a 155 main and a 37.5 pilot...but the kit has neither. The main jets included in the kit are labeled DJ128, DJ130, DJ132, and DJ134 (the kit recommends the DJ130 when using pipes with baffles, which I have). Does V&H use some other system or is the kit a piece of crap? As for the Pilot jet, it is not even mentioned in the V&H instructions.

I have printed out Brimans instructions on the rejet and already have the carbs exposed and ready to be operated on, just need to make sure I have the right parts.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Go to www.motorcyclecarbs.com Call Robert from that sight. He can sell you the pilot jet and answer your question about the jets in the kit. There are different numbering systems for the different makers of the jets. I don't remember the differences but Robert @ motorcyclecarbs knows.

Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Banned
13,763 Posts
Check this thread, it's the Volusia rejetting matrix, very helpful.

http://www.volusiariders.com/viewtopic.php?t=4594

Myself, I'm not as sold on motorcyclecarbs as some others are. They are very knowledgeable, but I like the variety of the kits we get from other vendors. Thing is, you may want to do some tweaking to get YOUR bike right where you want it. Two different members may have the same bike, same exhaust, same air intake and so forth, but may need different jets because of elevation, climate and so on. Motorcyclecarbs is a great resource to get started, but if you want to work to make sure you have the best combination, sometimes rejetting needs to be done several times just to test and get everything right. I've rejetted my old Vol upwards of 6 times a day when I was working on it just to be sure that I had it where I wanted it. In most cases, Motorcyclecarbs gives you one main and one pilot, you lose that ability to test then. I'd assume they'll sell you multiple mains and pilots too, so ask that question. You can get pilots at your dealer for like $3 also.

Good luck,
Wade

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. From looking at the matrix it looks like I am doing as follows:

Aftermarket pipes (baffles or debaffled):
132 main, 32.5 pilot jet, dyno spring, dyno needle on 3rd notch, mix screw at 2.5 - 3 turns. Adjust idle knob as needed to reach 1100 rpm.

I do plan on changing the stock air box to a unifilter in the future, so I am guessing I will needed to go to a larger jet then (155 main/37.5 pilot).

What size is the stock pilot jet? Is it necessary to change right away or can it wait for the unifilter?

·
Premium Member
14,389 Posts
The Volusianator said:
Check this thread, it's the Volusia rejetting matrix, very helpful.

http://www.volusiariders.com/viewtopic.php?t=4594

Myself, I'm not as sold on motorcyclecarbs as some others are. They are very knowledgeable, but I like the variety of the kits we get from other vendors. Thing is, you may want to do some tweaking to get YOUR bike right where you want it. Two different members may have the same bike, same exhaust, same air intake and so forth, but may need different jets because of elevation, climate and so on. Motorcyclecarbs is a great resource to get started, but if you want to work to make sure you have the best combination, sometimes rejetting needs to be done several times just to test and get everything right. I've rejetted my old Vol upwards of 6 times a day when I was working on it just to be sure that I had it where I wanted it. In most cases, Motorcyclecarbs gives you one main and one pilot, you lose that ability to test then. I'd assume they'll sell you multiple mains and pilots too, so ask that question. You can get pilots at your dealer for like $3 also.

Good luck,
Wade
Wade is right here... The recommended jets are a good starting point and work for most people. The perfect jets depend on normal riding altitide/weather, riding style, gas quality, and probably some other factors I haven't thought about. If I rejet again I would buy at least 1 jet up and 1 jet down from the recommended jets just to tinker a bit. Hmmmmmm maybe when I pull her in for some other mods.... hmmmmm

·
Registered
159 Posts
I noticed that the_cottrell said "
Aftermarket pipes (baffles or debaffled):
132 main, 32.5 pilot jet, dyno spring, dyno needle on 3rd notch, mix screw at 2.5 - 3 turns. Adjust idle knob as needed to reach 1100 rpm
When I re-jetted I noticed my factory jet was a 132 main. What did you guys find when you re-jetted?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts