Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I just learned that if your route has multiple stops (so you go can on the roads that you want instead of having the app do it for you), Google maps will stop navigating after the first stop, and you having to manually start navigation again. So that means either riding without gloves (which I never do), get touchscreen gloves, or suck it up and get a Zumo.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
Reactions: beezer

·
Super Moderator
27,370 Posts
It will totally work, just make sure to download the "offline maps" for the areas you will be riding.
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

Not sure how you new guys keep slipping by our guard monkey. He's really starting to slip since he retired.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Very interesting...

I knew there was a reason we kept you around!

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
I use my phone for directing sometimes when travelling. I also do a "Geocache" sometimes.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just learned that if your route has multiple stops (so you go can on the roads that you want instead of having the app do it for you), Google maps will stop navigating after the first stop, and you having to manually start navigation again. So that means either riding without gloves (which I never do), get touchscreen gloves, or suck it up and get a Zumo.

Any suggestions?
In addition to restarting the route after reaching a stop, Google Maps will assign a more expeditious route when it finds such a "better path". You can not turn this "feature" off. I ride the byways in VA and I have to download a map to my phone, and even when I send the route to my phone, at times, Google will reroute the map for a faster route. Very annoying when I deliberately pick wandering road for the sheer pleasure of exploring a new route. Zumo is on my list of MC GPS units to acquire. Also, there are areas of the country that are "radio wave devoid" by Federal Govt. authority. South and west of Winchester/Front Royal VA is one such area where NO radio waves are permitted. Not even cell phones.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Balls...

I just order the bluetooth transmitter. I wonder if audio from the GPS will stop, or only pause, music from my phone. First world problems... :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
27,370 Posts
For phone GPS on the bike, I've tested them all and the only one worth a crap is TomTom Go. It's a subscription app, but does a great job.

As for Bluetooth and directions, it should either pause for directions and resume after, or drop the volume of the music while the directions are given and return the level after. Depending on the app you use for music, some are configurable as to which you prefer.

I have my music set to lower the volume for a second, but my podcast app pauses. Music is weird if it pauses, but lowering the volume on a podcast causes me to miss things.

·
Super Moderator
9,064 Posts
Also, there are areas of the country that are "radio wave devoid" by Federal Govt. authority. South and west of Winchester/Front Royal VA is one such area where NO radio waves are permitted. Not even cell phones.
Also true in West Virginia, in the area of the Green Bank Observatory / Radio Telescope.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts