Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

Upswept Pipes

6K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  rodeofan5656 
#1 ·
so I found what I want to do with my stock header pipes.. I found both of these and would like to try an upswept exhaust on my '01 Volusia. itll save me from havin to spend $300+ on drag pipes, and give the bike my own little look. the only thing im worried about is the diameter of the adapters. anyone think they wont work on the end of my header pipes?

#2 ·
so I got the parts ordered, along with a K&N air filter. after I have my tires and rear brakes put on, I should have my pipes here and ready to throw on. then ill get the bike rejetted. im thinkin a stage 2. ill keep everybody posted

#5 ·
I don't wanna go with an angle that close to vertical. I just want a slight upswept-ness.. his pipes do look good though. just not quite my style

#6 · (Edited)
Mock Up/Need Ideas

So the UPS guy showed up with my pipes today. Anxious, I immediately went to work doin mock up. As seen in the pictures, I got the pipes semi-mocked up. But I need ideas for how to plug/block the equalizer hole on the top pipe. If at all possible, how could I block it without simply cutting it off and weldin a piece of sheet metal in it's place?

Attachments

#8 ·
is there any chance of the cap popping out at higher RPMs or when I hit the throttle?

#10 ·
im thinking about cutting the equalizer pipe off the stock lower muffler, stitch/spot welding a small piece (about the size of a quarter) over one end, then clamp the "plug" into the pipe. That way, I don't have to spend much money, and I can always cut the welds, and put the stock mufflers back on if I ever need to.

#12 ·
hmmm, good point. I didn't really think it through I guess. Thatll save my stock mufflers too, instead of choppin them up

#13 ·
dfinitlydisturbd, quick question.....

what size socket did you use? I have a bunch of older chinese and taiwan made sockets sittin around, and could use one of those (since its an asian bike anyway :biglaugh:). Thatd actually save me that $5, and I could still save my mufflers. Im all about saving money when I can!

#14 ·
Good question! Don't know off hand, it was an odd size spark plug socket (have a large collection, every engine I get seems to need it's own size plug socket), and needed a few "taps" with a hammer to get it in....didn't hurt the pipe though sealed and fit fine when I put the stock pipes back on.

Easiest, well quickest way to determine size would be to throw a tape on the opening and measure it.

#15 ·
well I gotta take a 350mi round-trip ride to Norman, OK next weekend to visit my dad. My Dynojet kit wont be in by then, so ill have to run my stock pipes to ride down there.. And the weekend after that, I move back to college. So it may be alittle while before these pipes get done.

#16 ·
You don't need to rejet if all you are doing is the pipes. The intake is what requires a rejet. Since you are using the stock headpipes there is a lot of restriction built into them by the fact that they are such a small diameter. Aftermarket pipes are a lot larger the whole way through. With no change in the volume of air entering the engine, there will be little to no change in the amount of air exiting through the pipes. It will just be louder...

#17 ·
Im not tryin to start an argument.. But my bike was running lean when I got it, stock. From what ive read, almost all the Volusias rolled outta the factory running lean for emissions.. I did the Honest Abe's modification to the stock mufflers, only I opened them up alittle more. That made it run even more lean, and it pops real bad on deccel. The new "mufflers" don't have any restriction. I also have a K&N high flow filter thatll be added to it. So the 150 or 155 should work for me.

#18 · (Edited)
I found an old 13/16'' impact socket in a box in the shed. Ground it down far enough to put it in the equalizer pipe. Ill fill it with a bead with the MIG welder, or maybe some JB weld. After my trip to Oklahoma next weekend, ill put the "plug" in, and finish up the exhaust.

#19 · (Edited)
So the upswept idea totally backfired. Its pissed me off to the point where I said to hell with the upswept tips. Im just going to put the turn out mufflers onto the stock header pipes, like the bike in this video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrxzF5ZJJck

The problem is, the mock up worked great. But now that I start welding and tightened stuff, NOTHING lines up and it looks like a 6 yr old put the pipes on. And with the shields over the header pipes in the way, theres dang near no way to weld the pipes and adapters together while theyre on the bike.

#20 · (Edited)
i was thinking of doing about the same thing to mine. was watching some different rear headers on ebay so i can cut and patch in the down tube and keep my original if anything goes bad. my question is what is the size of the pipe coming out of that header pipe that you would attach them mufflers too? i am wondering so i can try to get everything i need before i attack this project. if anyone can let me know that would be great

#21 ·
My advice to you is pull the stock mufflers off and measure everything out, get some ideas, and take your time. I tried to rush it, since im headed to school Friday. Thus, I completely screwed up my mufflers and adapters. I wasted $130 on the stuff, and now I cant get rid of it or get my money back.. Its better as a winter project

#22 ·
SO, I gave up on makin the upswept system out of my stock header pipes. I finally broke down and ordered some Cobra Drag pipes from Amazon. Maybe later on, ill modify the Cobra pipes for an upswept system

#25 ·
Im not really givin up. I just didn't plan it out or take the time to sit down and draw something up. I may still do the upswept with the drag pipes. But im not sure yet cause itd be hard to cut into $300 worth of chrome and steel that already look good

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.