Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I have an 06 Suzuki Boulevard C90T, that I have done a bevy of upgrades to. The issue I have is that the Kenwood 600W amp, the Pioneer 7" flip out touch screen, 4" speaker pods on crash bars, and the LED lights have put a toll on my factory FTH16-BS-1 battery. Am I able to upgrade to a BikeMaster DLFP20-BS Lithium battery for the extra power?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello All,
I have an 06 Suzuki Boulevard C90T, that I have done a bevy of upgrades to. The issue I have is that the Kenwood 600W amp, the Pioneer 7" flip out touch screen, 4" speaker pods on crash bars, and the LED lights have put a toll on my factory FTH16-BS-1 battery. Am I able to upgrade to a BikeMaster DLFP20-BS Lithium battery for the extra power?
Well I guess I should have posted my question in The Garage. Is it possible to move my post?

·
Registered
19,332 Posts
It is not the battery that you need to worry about, but the output of the charging system. In this case, a larger capacity battery will only mask the fact that you are drawing more power than the charging system can produce. That ultimately means the bike will eventually run out of juice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, understood. So now that begs the question, can I upgrade the charging system, stator and rectifier? I think the original puts out 300 watts, correct me if I am mistaken.

·
Super Moderator
23,796 Posts
Well I guess I should have posted my question in The Garage. Is it possible to move my post?
Done.

As Skrap said, the battery isn't your issue, the charging system is. The draw on the system should be low enough that there's juice left to charge the battery. One you get the draw too high there isn't enough left to charge the battery. You either need a high output stator or you need to get rid of some electronics.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Done.

As Skrap said, the battery isn't your issue, the charging system is. The draw on the system should be low enough that there's juice left to charge the battery. One you get the draw too high there isn't enough left to charge the battery. You either need a high output stator or you need to get rid of some electronics.
Well I just verified that the original generator puts out 375 watts at 5000 r/min. Is there one on the market that puts out more? I love my new sound system and don't want to downgrade my system.

·
Registered
19,332 Posts
No. There are no upgrades you can do to the charging system.

·
Super Moderator
4,280 Posts
Hello All,
Dan, can you verify the Kenwood Amp is a Class D, G, or H amp?
Hope it's not a Class A, B ,or A/B used in car audio design.

The biggest difference between most car amps, the Class of the amplifier. Class A, B, and A/B amps (used in car audio design) are power hungry amps and draw a lot of current but they are designed as such because they usually put out some very LARGE power even though rated at lower wattages and usually when you're talking multiple amps in a setup like this it will require the charging system in the car to be upgraded to handle it.

Class D, G, H amps are where the technology is for motorcycles. They are high power amps with very low current draw thanks to their switching power supplies and switching output transistors for each channel.

·
Super Moderator
19,654 Posts
be aware also that the 05's & 06's had stator issues...had to replace on both my 05 at 15k and on my 06 last year at 54k... may want to invest in one of these to take w/you if traveling just in case...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-VL1500-Boulevard-C90-C90T-05-09-Ricks-Stator-32101-10F11/143085808212?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

when mine went last year on vacation in NH, Honda dealer I had it towed to charged me 3x that price for the stator alone...he knew that I knew he was robbing me but shame on me for not having a spare w/me...especially knowing about the stator issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dan, can you verify the Kenwood Amp is a Class D, G, or H amp?
Hope it's not a Class A, B ,or A/B used in car audio design.

The biggest difference between most car amps, the Class of the amplifier. Class A, B, and A/B amps (used in car audio design) are power hungry amps and draw a lot of current but they are designed as such because they usually put out some very LARGE power even though rated at lower wattages and usually when you're talking multiple amps in a setup like this it will require the charging system in the car to be upgraded to handle it.

Class D, G, H amps are where the technology is for motorcycles. They are high power amps with very low current draw thanks to their switching power supplies and switching output transistors for each channel.
Class D amp.

·
Registered
19,332 Posts
Given that the amp recommends at least a 30a circuit breaker and heavy gauge leads, you can expect up to 300 watts of peak power draw when you have it cranked up listening to your tunes. Add to that, your auxiliary lights, any powered farkles like GPS or cell phone charger, plus your onboard lights and ignition system, and you very quickly run out of juice from the charging system.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The way to check is pop the seat off and put a multimeter across the battery. Start the bike and hold it at fast idle, say maybe 2000rpm. Let the voltage stabilize- should be around 14.4v assuming your charging system is working correctly and the battery is healthy. Turn the stereo on and crank it up while observing the voltage. A slight drop is fine, but if you see voltage getting pulled down under 13v or so, it indicates you are maxing out or exceeding the stator's output, which means it's not long for this world. Ideally alternators are not used consistently over about 80% of capacity and ideally more like 50%. You may find the voltage stays up at a moderate volume but at high volume it starts to sag, especially on bass pulses.

I'm not aware of any stator upgrades for the c90. Sometimes you can find a heavy duty/high output aftermarket stator, generally if that engine was also used in a touring trim that may have had a beefed up electrical system, but that's not the case here.

At minimum I'd install a little voltmeter on the handlebars or dash to keep an eye on it and be mindful to reduce load if you notice it start to sag. Turn off the driving lights, turn down the music. A touchscreen stereo may be able to display the vehicle's input voltage as well. I had a Kenwood one in my truck a while ago that could.

Swapping the head/tail lights with LED can also free up some power for other accessories. You can save 20-30w with the headlight (55w down to often 20/30, and it's much brighter), and another 7-8w with the tail light (8w down to about .5w)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts