Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to upgrade my headlamp bulb on my motorcycle. Looking for a brighter light without the need for modifications Etc. Basically want a plug and play, so to speak. Just want to know if anybody's done it and what they did and how they like it. Thanks

·
Registered
550 Posts
Looking to upgrade my headlamp bulb on my motorcycle. Looking for a brighter light without the need for modifications Etc. Basically want a plug and play, so to speak. Just want to know if anybody's done it and what they did and how they like it. Thanks
A slightly cheaper option is Philips RacingVision H4 Headlight Bulbs (Twin) 12342RVS2 Xtreme Vision Upgrade https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYNVQBC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_nPZ5CbJGTSAQ0

I have it on my bike, so far so good. The color is slightly whiter than your regular bulb, but it has a nice throw and quite a bit brighter. I had it for the past 2000 miles or so on my C50. Bought it when they were almost $40 a pair.
LED bulbs are often a hit and miss, and they run a lot hotter in the housing than regular bulbs: I’ve read reports of wires melting upon contact with cooling fins. Also models that have cooling fans in addition to cooling fins or strips are very prone to failure.
Most LEDs don’t have a clear cut off line and blind oncoming traffic, also beam pattern is often messed-up. After hours and hours of research, I haven’t found a decent LED bulb or LED assembly (swap out the whole lease) that has substantially more light with a usable beam pattern and not prone to failure. You might get lucky, but if your reflector is not designed for LED, better to stay away from them.

·
Registered
550 Posts
A slightly cheaper option is Philips RacingVision H4 Headlight Bulbs (Twin) 12342RVS2 Xtreme Vision Upgrade https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYNVQBC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_nPZ5CbJGTSAQ0

I have it on my bike, so far so good. The color is slightly whiter than your regular bulb, but it has a nice throw and quite a bit brighter. I had it for the past 2000 miles or so on my C50. Bought it when they were almost $40 a pair.
LED bulbs are often a hit and miss, and they run a lot hotter in the housing than regular bulbs: I’ve read reports of wires melting upon contact with cooling fins. Also models that have cooling fans in addition to cooling fins or strips are very prone to failure.
Most LEDs don’t have a clear cut off line and blind oncoming traffic, also beam pattern is often messed-up. After hours and hours of research, I haven’t found a decent LED bulb or LED assembly (swap out the whole lease) that has substantially more light with a usable beam pattern and not prone to failure. You might get lucky, but if your reflector is not designed for LED, better to stay away from them.
Here is a link to a thread with some pictures of me testing the aforementioned Philips bulb:

https://www.volusiariders.com/54-general-motorcycle-discussion/415278-amber-vs-white-spot-flood-lights-better.html#/topics/415278?page=1

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, that's my experience too with LEDs. I'm not a real fan not yet they got a long way to come. Thanks for your information will look into those

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I must be getting old, I can't find the original post where somebody explained how to adjust the headlamp on a C50. I just want to say thank you to that gentleman. Just adjusted mine and it makes a difference when you can see down the road LOL.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I must be getting old, I can't find the original post where somebody explained how to adjust the headlamp on a C50. I just want to say thank you to that gentleman. Just adjusted mine and it makes a difference when you can see down the road LOL.
See screenshot attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
i have tried several different configurations of led motorcycle bulbs and to date none have been satisfactory for me...i have tried ones without fans and i have tried ones with fans to no avail...they just don't focus right and they are never as bright as advertized...the only reason if keep them in my bikes is so that i have all led lights on the front(with driving lights and turn signal/running lights)...eventually i am going to spring for the $100 sealed led headlights that are a complete replacement for the H4 stock sealed headlights...actually i have already spent that much money just messing with the led bulbs...hope this helps you decide what you want to do

·
Registered
550 Posts
i have tried several different configurations of led motorcycle bulbs and to date none have been satisfactory for me...i have tried ones without fans and i have tried ones with fans to no avail...they just don't focus right and they are never as bright as advertized...the only reason if keep them in my bikes is so that i have all led lights on the front(with driving lights and turn signal/running lights)...eventually i am going to spring for the $100 sealed led headlights that are a complete replacement for the H4 stock sealed headlights...actually i have already spent that much money just messing with the led bulbs...hope this helps you decide what you want to do
which sealed led headlight? link?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for everyone's input. I think I'll stick with original equipment bulbs. I know they work. I've put LEDs all over my diesel truck and although they look great when they're working they stopped working quickly. As they have stopped, I have switched back to incandescent bulbs. They work and they're cheap. In my opinion, LEDs have a long way to come.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I found one on an old link in the forum. The link still worked. It was a plug and play 6500 HID with halogen high beam. 50 bucks. Works great. I added a relay to keep the HID on when I switched to high beams so I have both bulbs on at the same time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
hey joyrider...i get most of my parts from ebay or amazon ocassionally i shop j&p cycles or dennis kirk...ebay has the greater number of products but that only means that a thousand sellers or selling the same or similar items...i have spent hours looking and looking until i finally find what i think will work for me...i am old school shade tree mechanic(meaning i will find a way to make it work for my application)...most folks will not go to the trouble to engineer things to work even if that part is for another application...all that being said...sealed led headlights are out there and most require a special mounting ring in order for it to fit let's say a 7" headlight...if you just buy the headlight without the mounting ring, then you have to engineer a way to make it fit, or you have to buy the additional headlight mounting ring....don't fall for the seller's claim that it will fit your bike...technically it will fit if you have the required mounting ring....i can get a sealed led headlight 7" for a Harley that will fit my 7" headlight on my 2009 C50...but...i will also have to buy the mounting ring...in my opinion the led bulbs look good but as of yet i have not found one that equals a sealed led headlight....so when i change my headlights later on...i will be going the "sealed" headlight

·
Registered
550 Posts
hey joyrider...i get most of my parts from ebay or amazon ocassionally i shop j&p cycles or dennis kirk...ebay has the greater number of products but that only means that a thousand sellers or selling the same or similar items...i have spent hours looking and looking until i finally find what i think will work for me...i am old school shade tree mechanic(meaning i will find a way to make it work for my application)...most folks will not go to the trouble to engineer things to work even if that part is for another application...all that being said...sealed led headlights are out there and most require a special mounting ring in order for it to fit let's say a 7" headlight...if you just buy the headlight without the mounting ring, then you have to engineer a way to make it fit, or you have to buy the additional headlight mounting ring....don't fall for the seller's claim that it will fit your bike...technically it will fit if you have the required mounting ring....i can get a sealed led headlight 7" for a Harley that will fit my 7" headlight on my 2009 C50...but...i will also have to buy the mounting ring...in my opinion the led bulbs look good but as of yet i have not found one that equals a sealed led headlight....so when i change my headlights later on...i will be going the "sealed" headlight
I’m the same way ? i installed Denali dr2 1.0 (chrome version) instead of front turn signals, and used some chrome spacers and rubber bushings to make it work where it wasn’t necessarily designed to. Turn signals were moved lower down the stationary part of the fork. https://www.volusiariders.com/54-general-motorcycle-discussion/415278-amber-vs-white-spot-flood-lights-better.html

All bulbs except headlight are now LEDs on my ‘08 C50. I would gladly invest the time and money to upgrade the head light using one of the “all inclusive” sealed led units primarily designed for Harley bikes, but experience and research tells me that it will not have a good beam pattern. Things might have changed in half a year since I looked I at it closely, but I doubt they’ve changes much. Dropping $300-$400 on a name brand, e.g. JBL 8700, for a marginal benefit to ride 11 year old bike seems an overkill, considering high output halogen 9003/H4 bulbs are cheap and effective, and last long enough for most motorcycle uses. Between high quality Denali aux light and high output Philips halogen, and switchback white/amber running/turn signal LEDs, I have plenty of forward visibility as well as illuminating dark backroads very-very well.
To each their own, and if style rather than function is primarily somebody’s goal, changing to an LED headlight bulb/unit makes sense. Aside from that, benefit of such units doesn’t usually warrant investment of the time and $ involved in macgyvering an aftermarket LED headlight in a C50.

beam pattern of c50 headlight can’t compete with latest BMW units, but if one has a bright enough bulb, I find it to be very satisfactory, even without AUX lights.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts