Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I never bothered stabilizing my gas when storing my bike over the winter because, well, I never really stored the bike over the winter. In past years I would make sure to ride it for at least 30min every couple weeks even if it was too cold to ride and whenever we had an unseasonably warm day I would go for an extended ride.

This year, I have just been incredibly busy. We also had a pretty bad winter, the few times I had some free time this winter there was a pretty decent snowfall and I don't take the motorcycle out in snow or ice. So, since October or November I have only taken my motorcycle out once.

I was looking on Ebay for a gas can and siphon on the assumption that the gas is probably too old. However, my local landfill only takes gasoline and similar hazardous waste a couple times a year and I can't store the waste at my condo until then (I wouldn't store gasoline indoors, and it would be a violation of the rules to store it on my balcony). Two nearby counties' landfills take it all the time, but only for county residents so I can't use their landfills. So, instead of waiting a couple months until the landfill will take the waste (I want to sell my Boulevard before summer) I was thinking of maybe trying the bike with the current gas.

I know at this point that the gas has likely separated at least partially. However, what are the chances that there is enough moisture in the gas to really do damage?

My only other option would be to take it to my local motorcycle mechanic and ask them to do it. However, assuming they'd even do it, that would get expensive. Between the tow fees, their hourly fees, and the likely overcharge on the new gas, I'm thinking it would be quite a bit of money for what I'd actually have them do. It isn't my first choice, hence my asking what you all think about just trying to start it on the older gas.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I've never used stabilizer in my gas, and I always store the bike for winter.

And every spring, when I go to start up my bike, she starts right up without any hesitation.

But I do usually fill the tank before putting her away so that there is no room for moisture.

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
i just run mine. will add some seafaom though

·
Registered
19,521 Posts
Just run the bike. It may have separated a little and if that's the case, run some seafoam or dry-gas through it. It you're exceptionally paranoid, drain the tank then pour it in your car's gas tank. That is large enough to dilute any contaminants you might have picked up, without having to worry about paying for disposal. Just top the rest of the tank up with 89 octane and drive happy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I Never use stabilizer and store the bike in an unheated garage. Never had a problem. I do go out and start the bike about once a month and let it run for about 10 minutes.

AL

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So seafoam and other stabilizers might help after the fact as well? I usually hear about people treating their tanks before the winter, I didn't since I assumed I'd ride more this winter than I did (only once, I am hanging my head in shame). The idea of pouring it into my car is a good one too, the size of the tank should mix the good and bad gas enough to hopefully not be a problem. I'll probably just try the seafoam now and start it (and put the battery on a trickle charger if it doesn't start).

I am selling the bike in a month or two and would like to get a little riding in before I do, but I also don't want to pass any problems on to the new owner. I definitely need to get in some riding before I sell it since I probably won't replace it until after I buy a house (probably 2-4 years, though through selling the motorcycle and trading my car on a cheaper one I hope to cut it to 1-2 years), though I might go with a cheap older bike while waiting.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
If your tank was full, then moisture is unlikely to be an issue. Moisture gets into gas with a partially filled tank. Every time the temperature changes, air moves in or out of the tank. Moisture, especially with ethanol stays behind. A full tank practically eliminates that air change.

Stabil is an emulsifier, meaning it gathers the water molecules into balls around itself and that keeps it from separating. It offers some protection from gasoline breaking down.

Startron works by an enzymatic action, meaning it circulates through the gas breaking up the water molecules so that they cannot separate. It also works to keep the gasoline from breaking down into by products, so it can be used where gas needs to be stored for a year or more.

Most people who ride vintage motorcycles with older valve seats, etc use a Startron type additive as it reduces the carbon buildup on the valves when older gas is finally burned off (by going for a ride).

If you tank was full, start it up and go for a ride. If your tank was not full, make sure you do not have a layer of water and if you do not, go for a ride and use it all up and add new gas.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I don't use stabilizer in any of my equipment over winter and never have problems. It doesn't get much wetter anywhere in the US than the pacific northwest.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If it runs, run it and then put fresh in. If the gas has separated you will definitely know. Not sure if you're fuel injected or carb but if it's ethanol gas that's separated you'll be cleaning float bowls and jets at minimum. I've never had any problems storing things over the winter until recently with this ethanol crap gas. Now if it doesn't run over the winter at all I drain the fuel tank and run the engine until it dies. I've had more problems with winter stuff stored over the summer with gas in it than summer stuff stored over the winter though. My snowblower and snowmobile have had carb cleanings as a result of varnished fuel.

·
Registered
31 Posts
They also make water separation gas filtering funnels (Mr. Funnel) that work great, I have one and you can mix water straight into gas, shake it up, pour it into the filter and get clean gas out of the funnel spout. The water stays in the top portion of the funnel as the filter will not allow the water to pass through it. I have to use it regularly here in Florida with all the humidity and just plain bad ethanol gas. They sell them on ebay and amazon

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I don't use stabilizer in any of my equipment over winter and never have problems. It doesn't get much wetter anywhere in the US than the pacific northwest.
Plus one here. Silverdale WA. Pacific Northwest
When I first moved here with my job another guy who also moved with the job he started marking down every day it rained some 40 consecutive days he went back east never to be seen again. I don't think it was a record although the bible makes a big deal out of 40 days and nights of rain. With some guy named NOAH.:wayhappy:

I have a mixture of gas E10 (only thing avail by me) mixed to a 16/1 ratio for my really old little craftsman chain saw that I use for trimming little stuff. Often the mixture is more than a few years old as nothing else I own needs a 16/1 ratio. It tends to start on the third pull of the rope.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts