Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was also a guy from the base here seriously hurt last week. Haven't heard the details on that one yet.

This couple was on their way from here to Myrtle Beach. They were the parents of a guy that I work with son's girlfriend (if that made sense).

Couple killed in motorcycle crash
Staff reports
Sunday, April 27, 2008

MONCKS CORNER — A husband and wife were killed Saturday morning when their motorcycle collided with a pickup truck on U.S. Highway 52, authorities said.

Their names have not been released by the Berkeley County Coroner's Office.

The driver of the 2008 Harley-Davidson motorcycle was a 35-year-old man, S.C. Highway Patrol Cpl. Paul Brouthers said.

The crash occurred at 10:45 a.m. near the Oakley Pointe Subdivision, Chief Deputy Coroner Bill Salisbury said. The motorcycle was traveling north on Highway 52 when it hit a 2003 Ford truck that was coming off Oakley Pointe Boulevard, Brouthers said.

The motorcyclists were ejected. Salisbury said they weren't wearing helmets. The pickup truck overturned. Driver Cheryl Baker, 50, of Moncks Corner, was treated at Trident Medical Center and released, Brouthers said.

The accident is under investigation.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,921 Posts
Noticing a trend here from other posts.........50ish women drivers involved in pickups.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,174 Posts
Boxwrench said:
Noticing a trend here from other posts.........50ish women drivers involved in pickups.
I'm noticing the other part.. "No helmets" and "deceased" :cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
534 Posts
Bad...bad...bad.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,126 Posts
VERY, VERY sad.....Please wear a helmet. It probably would not have made much of a difference when they hit the side of a truck, but better safe than dead, and only 35 years old. Absolutely tragic......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99,999 Posts
Prayers for the family.

Pete
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99,999 Posts
USA_Mike said:
VERY, VERY sad.....Please wear a helmet. It probably would not have made much of a difference when they hit the side of a truck, but better safe than dead, and only 35 years old. Absolutely tragic......
WELCOME, new member.

Pete
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
rider down

i hate to hear about any accident. the unfortunate thing, not that it would have made a difference, but SC is a helmet optional state.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,469 Posts
12 years ago, my son had a similar accident, and he walked away from it. He was 27 years old at the time. Riding a Vulcan [ 800 classic, I think ] at 50 mph in Cape Coral Fla area, when a car pulled across his path. He had no where to go and no time to react, so he just leaped straight up in the air as the bike impacted the car. He cleared the car and landed face down on the road, sliding and rolling for about 100 feet. He broke his collar bone and some ribs and fingers. He had on a full face helmet and full leathers. the only road rash was on his palms where the gloves ripped open on landing. Needless to say with that experience, our entire family wears all the gear, all the time. Mesh in summer, leather in cooler weather, and ALWAYS a helmet, state law or no state law. .. Just last month, my 22 year old stepson hit the back of a car that pulled in front of him and slammed the brakes on at 40 mph. His GSXR 650 is totaled. He got a few stitches in his groin area and some road rash where his denims tore open. But, he walked away from the wreck. Without his helmet, there may have been a different outcome. Like my mother-in-law's friend, a few years ago. He went three blocks to MacDonalds without his helmet. He said:"it's only three blocks, what could happen?" .. He hit the brake at 5 MPH in the parking lot to avoid a car suddenly backing out, but his wheel was turned enough to throw him headfirst into the pavement. He never woke up and died three days later from the brain swelling. ATGATT is the only safe way to ride.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
27,181 Posts
aVOL2 said:
Boxwrench said:
Noticing a trend here from other posts.........50ish women drivers involved in pickups.
I'm noticing the other part.. "No helmets" and "deceased" :cry:
+1

Since Pa got rid of its helmet law in 2003, the motorcycle fatality rate is up 35% per 10,000 registered motorcycles. No speed limit increase here to cloud the issue.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,174 Posts
FX4 said:
aVOL2 said:
Boxwrench said:
Noticing a trend here from other posts.........50ish women drivers involved in pickups.
I'm noticing the other part.. "No helmets" and "deceased" :cry:
+1

Since Pa got rid of its helmet law in 2003, the motorcycle fatality rate is up 35% per 10,000 registered motorcycles. No speed limit increase here to cloud the issue.
I heare this on the news yesterday... also the report ended that they know that if given the choice most bikers would not wear a helmet... hmmm I was tempted to call the TV station....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
27,181 Posts
aVOL2 said:
FX4 said:
aVOL2 said:
Boxwrench said:
Noticing a trend here from other posts.........50ish women drivers involved in pickups.
I'm noticing the other part.. "No helmets" and "deceased" :cry:
+1

Since Pa got rid of its helmet law in 2003, the motorcycle fatality rate is up 35% per 10,000 registered motorcycles. No speed limit increase here to cloud the issue.
I heare this on the news yesterday... also the report ended that they know that if given the choice most bikers would not wear a helmet... hmmm I was tempted to call the TV station....
I'm with you. I may not ride AGATT but I always wear helmet, boots, & long pants.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,687 Posts
FX4 said:
I'm with you. I may not ride AGATT but I always wear helmet, boots, & long pants.
I hear ya. My neighbor asked me if I wear my helmet and my reply was 'hell ya, no matter how short of a distance I may ride.' I think it's silly not to.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top