Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 10 years I've had two Stebel horns running off of one relay. I recently laid on the horn for some clown that cut me off on purpose and blew out the horn. The relay is clicking so I assumed that's the problem. Do I need to install two relays because I have two horns or is one sufficient, do you think?

·
Administrator
16,270 Posts
That would depend on the size of the relay and whether it could handle that many amps. What gage wire are you feeding the relay with - the draw of two stebels would likely require a good size feed wire from the battery to the relay.

Personally, I'd run separate relays, but that's just my opinion, if you've been good for 10 years without issues maybe just replacing the relay is fine for another 10.

·
Registered
88 Posts
First, get a multimeter and measure everything with the horns disconnected. You can also very temporarily connect the horn directly to the battery to make it blow. See if that makes it go toot.

I just installed a Wolo and their instructions say to put a 20 amp fuse on the circuit. So I'd guess that you want your relay to handle 20 amps as well, per horn. I *think* most typical relays are rated for 30 amps, but I could be wrong. So theoretically if the horn draws like 15 amps, a single relay would be right on the verge of breakdown with two. But also if you get a 40 amp relay I don't see why you'd need two.

You can also use three fuses: a 40 amp fuse between battery and relay, then one 20 amp fuse after the relay for each horn. This way if one of the horns shorts, the other will still work.

Oh, and from what I understand you can connect the horn with the opposite polarity and it will run but not make sound. Could be useful for measuring how much current is going through it when it runs without blowing out your ear drums.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts