Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just before I got home yesterday I saw my turn signal indicator, in the speedo housing, was on and rapidly blinking. The turn signals still work correctly, just can't tell if they are on or nor.
Anyone familiar with this? Am I just going to have to replace the head unit?
Also, the middle of my gas gauge indicator is blank. Have 2, then a blank, then the next 2.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I found the problem with the blinkers: wiring harness under rear fender had somehow broken loose and the tire rubbed the insulation off a couple of the wires!
So, that is corrected.

Now it’s just the LCD, it is missing the middle indicator for fuel and some numbers are difficult to interpret
Is it possible to replace it?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Hard to say if the display is the issue or a connection or fuel level sensor problem. It never hurts to reconnect harness plugs. I would remove the speedo unit from the tank and unplug it. look to see if all the pins are all at the same height distance in each end. I've seen various coffee machine harnesses that one pin was not properly seated into the plug. Sometimes it was a problem, other times it was a lucky find before there was a problem. Strange things can happen. If there are no anomalies with that, reconnect and check to see if anything changed. You don't have to reinstall it on the tank to check it. Put a towel over the tank so nothing gets scratched! I wouldn't suspect the tank gauge although anything is possible. If the fuel in the tank is full or above the non functioning segment, logic has that all the segments should be showing. Maybe someone with more experience might know better. Cold solder joints can be a problem with circuit boards. Larger pins soldered to boards, resistors, capacitor leads can be incompletely bonded to the boards. Most electronics today is surface mount and you need special equipment to deal with replacing bad parts. If you know someone with a similar bike, it would be easy to swap the speedo cluster to see if it is the cluster or something else. Volusia and early C50 may be different. C 50 2009 and up are different from the earlier C50 of 2005 - 2008

Consider putting Your bike model and year in your signature line. Always curious about what part of the country folks are at. Consider putting in your town, state or province.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hard to say if the display is the issue or a connection or fuel level sensor problem. It never hurts to reconnect harness plugs. I would remove the speedo unit from the tank and unplug it. look to see if all the pins are all at the same height distance in each end. I've seen various coffee machine harnesses that one pin was not properly seated into the plug. Sometimes it was a problem, other times it was a lucky find before there was a problem. Strange things can happen. If there are no anomalies with that, reconnect and check to see if anything changed. You don't have to reinstall it on the tank to check it. Put a towel over the tank so nothing gets scratched! I wouldn't suspect the tank gauge although anything is possible. If the fuel in the tank is full or above the non functioning segment, logic has that all the segments should be showing. Maybe someone with more experience might know better. Cold solder joints can be a problem with circuit boards. Larger pins soldered to boards, resistors, capacitor leads can be incompletely bonded to the boards. Most electronics today is surface mount and you need special equipment to deal with replacing bad parts. If you know someone with a similar bike, it would be easy to swap the speedo cluster to see if it is the cluster or something else. Volusia and early C50 may be different. C 50 2009 and up are different from the earlier C50 of 2005 - 2008

Consider putting Your bike model and year in your signature line. Always curious about what part of the country folks are at. Consider putting in your town, state or province.
Thanks for the info. Newest thing is it showed all the indicators for half a day. I suppose I will have to unbolt the tank and check the connector under it to the fuel sending unit

1 - 4 of 4 Posts