Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Administrator
51,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Update:

The Tsukayu fairing is designed for Memphis Shades windshield mounts, and if You want to use the Suzuki C50 factory windshield mount, You'll need to do some fab work.
The Suzuki mount is 15-1/4" wide, and the fairing is designed with a 13-1/2" wide mounting cavity, hence the fab/welding needed.

I have the factory light-bar as well, and that precluded fabricating any "bolt on" reduction brackets, since those would project the fairing forward, which interferes with the factory light-bar.

Below is a rough sketch, and the measurements shown are sufficient to allow the factory bracket to fit inside the mounting cavity, that is, after cutting the welds, shortening the upper and lower bars, and re-welding .
Of course, the bolt center specs of the mounting tabs must be maintained, as well as the lightbar mount tab specs.

BTW: the difference between the fairing cavity width measurement 13-1/2", and the proposed bracket width of 12-5/8", permits use of the Tsukayu "quick release brackets".

*Feel free to use My sketch as needed, for modding of Your own bracket mounting system*

Attachments

·
Administrator
51,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Took my windshield bracket to a professional welder today, because the metal should be MIG or TIG welded with a high duty cycle welder, and My MIG welder is but a 110 volt, 88 amp, 20% duty cycle.

I also have a 220 volt AC stick welder, but that type of welding is for thick heavy steels, such as snow plows, farm equipment, etc.

This weld shop owner actually insisted on cutting the old welds, shortening the bars and re-welding, thus restoring the bracket to factory style design.

First welding company that I stopped at was much higher on pricing, and they were not keen about cutting previous welds.
They wanted to cross-cut and butt weld the frame bars, which imo, would likely shear off at some inopportune moment in time.

Hopefully, the bracket should be a bolt-on affair when complete, sans a couple holes to drill.

I'll take a photo of it and post the image after the weld shop is finished shrinking the bracket to my specs.

*Hey Special Ed & Mr E: The guy doing the weld job rides a BMW 1200! :biglaugh:

·
Administrator
51,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got the bracket back this PM, and with very little chrome dissipation from the welding heat.
I simply touched it up with silver model paint.

Surprise, surprise! The bracket literally fell into place as if it was engineered to fit.
No heating or bending..... it was worth the effort to make a sketch for the welder/fabricator!

I'm taking pics as I go along, and I'll post the entire adventure when it's completed. 8)

·
Administrator
51,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tell ya what....I'll post what I have now.

First frame shows that 15-1/4" Suzuki W/S bracket will not fit inside fairing cavity.

Frame two shows 12-1/2" modified bracket now fits inside of fairing cavity.

Frame three shows that corner of chromed light-bar cover needs a small amount of plastic removed on both ends.

Frame four shows modified windshield mount successfully fitted to the fork crowns.

Frame five shows the modified width of the windshield mount, installed.
Modified from 15-1/4" wide to 12-1/2" wide.

BTW:local professional welder (David S) did a fantastic job, and I paid him a $100 bill for his efforts.

Attachments

·
Administrator
51,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welp, I thought.......Viper pulls off this sort of gig all the time.......

Why shouldn't I too? :biglaugh:

·
Administrator
51,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you now use some spacers if you ever want to put the oem windshield back on?
Possibly, but I'd simply find another bracket on fleabay or at a boneyard.

The Tsukayu fairing is designed to use a Memphis Shades windshield mount, but I preferred the heavier duty Suzi factory W/S bracket.

·
Premium Member
28,465 Posts
...and the pictures of it on the bike? :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts

·
Administrator
51,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still grinding, making parts, fitting parts.

I'm seriously wondering if they sent a fairing that fits something else. :brick:

Should actually have it mounted tomorrow, then I have to add the radio, speakers, plus mount an external antenna?

I'll get there eventually! :lol:

·
Administrator
51,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A few more images to post.

I completely altered Tsukayu's quick release mounting system because quite frankly, it sucked, imho.
Broke 2 clips while test mounting the unit, so instead, I've created a 4 bolt/fender washer attachment system.

Brazed 8mm hex-nuts to the inside of the windshield bracket, and now there is forward & backward tilt adjustment.
Makes the entire unit easy to R & R, and it's absolutely repeatable, plus it's rock solid.

Tomorrow (maybe), I'll get the audio system installed & working, and the windshield mounted.

Attachments

·
Administrator
51,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's getting there, keep at it!!
I was just out in the garage buffing the hood on My car, when I decided that I'll need to add a rubber seal between the C50's headlight and the fairing headlight cavity.

·
Administrator
51,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I finished the fairing install job this afternoon.

Major motion was already performed, merely needed to stuff the fairing with tunes.
My mounting fab job absolutely kicks @ss!!!......makes it a simple 2 minute job to remove the fairing, radio, et all.

Rather than post some boring images, I'll post a short video walk around......don't laugh as it's pretty tight to do a walk around with the bike in the garage. Enjoy the 'partial' tune! :biglaugh:

Mid-July 2015 Update:

Folks, My hosting site decided that it was in their best interest to cancel the hosting provided along with subscribed domains, even though mine was paid up until late October of 2015.

As soon as I've chosen another reasonably priced hosting site, I'll return the video to this post.

My Apologies,

~Psyc0

·
Premium Member
28,465 Posts
Very nice! Welcome to the fairing club!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts