1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
8,878 Posts
I think that may be a Mutazu trunk. Not the sturdiest, from what I hear, but a lot of people have used them successfully for many years. Make sure you've got a good support under it.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan on putting a metal plate on the inside of the trunk and use u bolts or similar to mount it to my luggage rack

·
Registered
47 Posts
Kyle, i am interested in that type of trunk of well, I am looking for your review and thoughts on how the setup/installation went. Please take lots of pics!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I bought that exact one a year ago and mounted it to the back of my Nomad using a metal plate inside for support. Looks decent, does the job, price is right, but you do get what you pay for. Big enough to hold my XXL 3/4 helmet on its side, and still room for gloves, etc. I wouldn't put anything too heavy in it, and definitely not on top of the rack (its more for "show" than for "go"). One of the 2 metal "dowels" holding the plastic hinges together slipped out on a ride and made it a little awkward to open and close the lid after only a few months on the bike. I straight piece of metal clothes hanger slipped through and then bent at each end fixed it up just fine. I got mine a week before the PNW VR rally last year so haven't painted mine yet, hoping to do that this spring to more closely match the bike.

Oh, and the blue stuff they put on the latch sticks like crap to fur...took me months to scrape it all off.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I'm on my 2nd Mutazu trunk. The 1st broke because I overloaded it trying to carry a coiled garden hose home from the hardware store. The 2nd one is holding up but I've had to cobble together my own version of bump stops to keep the lid from rattling. Be warned, the gasket on these trunks is awful and will eventually wear away at the rear corners. Once this happens, the lid will bounce and rattle on every bump. I won't buy another Mutazu trunk when this one fails.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I'm on my 2nd Mutazu trunk. The 1st broke because I overloaded it trying to carry a coiled garden hose home from the hardware store. The 2nd one is holding up but I've had to cobble together my own version of bump stops to keep the lid from rattling. Be warned, the gasket on these trunks is awful and will eventually wear away at the rear corners. Once this happens, the lid will bounce and rattle on every bump. I won't buy another Mutazu trunk when this one fails.
I'd be very disappointed if the weight of a garden hose was enough to break it!

·
Registered
945 Posts
I'd be very disappointed if the weight of a garden hose was enough to break it!
Wasn't the weight, it was the diameter of the coil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts