Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally made it to the near BY HD dealer that just added Triumph. I sat on the Thunderbird and I felt just as cramped as all the other bikes I sat on, the dealers said no FC are available either factory or after market. I'm beginning to think I'm going to have my C50 for a long long time.
interesting foot note the American Cruiser (Triumph) was listed under 10k but the thunderbird was 16k the bikes looked identical.....

·
Registered
670 Posts
I like the position of the controls on all the Victorys. I have not rode the High-Ball, but the rest feel perfect. The handlebars could go up about 6 inches on the touring bikes though.

Reactions: dsmitty

·
Super Moderator
9,561 Posts
interesting foot note the American Cruiser (Triumph) was listed under 10k but the thunderbird was 16k the bikes looked identical.....
Triumph America = 900 CCs

Triumph Thunderbird = 1700 CCs

Different power plant, different frame, I do believe.

·
Registered
513 Posts
@Woodswoman got it right... The Tbird and the America look similar, but feel very different. I chose the America because it feels big, but is lighter and easier to manoeuvre.

I was always very comfortable on my C50, and I find the America is different, but no less (or more) comfortable. I do, however, find the America much smoother at higher RPM and on the highway.

·
Super Moderator
9,561 Posts
I like it a lot............Triumph's Road King!
On the nose! :D

Buddy of mine recently traded his Harley Ultra for a Thunderbird LT. He's delighted with the Tbird. Says the center of gravity is much lower, so he feels more confident with it in, say, stop-and-go traffic, especially with his wife on the back.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to have to look into some custom shop around town if I consider any other bike..........my knees were 4" above the gas tank even on the thunderbird....(some days I wish I was short) LOL

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
523 ft lbs?
Better hold on to those bars.

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts
The thunderbird is a beast. it was cycle worlds cruiser of the year three years running. The America is a stretched 900cc bonneville. Very different bikes. i sat on one of the new Indians this weekend. Very roomy, and it is the bike that unseated the thunderbird from its lofty perch. The thunderbird is a mean mean ride. More power than... Well... Anybody in a cruiser.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Stopped today at a Triumph dealer & sat on the Tbird...Liked it a lot, but sadly I can't afford to get bike envy right now. Seat height was close to the C50, but I didn't feel cramped like turbomangt did. Maybe that's because I'm "inseam challenged". I thought the center of gravity felt nice and low. I noticed on the Triumph web site it comes in a "launcher" config, but no details on what that means. I learned it includes front & rear crash bars, also lower air deflectors & taller quick-release windshield. Well worth the extra charge in my opinion. I really liked the way it was set up. Passenger floor boards, heel-toe shifter, running lights, decent seat. And, it's not an HD. If I hit the lottery, I'm in for one.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Honestly, how hard can it be for any Bike Co, to have FC as an option? with the Ga-zillions of parts for bikes the one part that tall guys need is not offered at all? makes no sense to me.....I think John may be considering designing FC for the c90 now after I told him Jardine makes a set for $850 LOL.......That Thunderbird is so new you cant find any used ones yet either, maybe in a year or two, or course most people flipping C50 are after a bigger bike, (like me) but once you have a Thunderbird, at least for me, it would be my last one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.